Return of Rome Discussion

We also know you’re eager to hear more about Return of Rome, and will have more news on that in the coming months so stay tuned!

From the latest patch notes.

There is no sign of them cancelling the DLC, but they are really taking their time.
They said the same thing 3 months earlier. They also said that it will release “right after” the Xbox release, that is now over a month ago.

Maybe it has to do with this part:

While some of us were preparing for the console release, others started to work on one of the biggest updates in AoE II: DE history. This update will bring a large number of fixes and changes, a massive number of balance changes, quality of life improvements and more.

It could be very well that they are delaying the DLC because they need to get this patch out first.
And the complexity of this patch might cause it to take longer then expected.

5 Likes

Devs break the silence about RoR challenge

2 Likes

Na, I do not think they cancel it, but as it is such a large dlc it takes time to develop it or rather port it to the AoE 2 engine…

I’m fine with the devs taking all the time necessary to release it properly. However, I think they should at least tell us what the DLC will be about. It’s hard to generate hype when people are so confused about the nature of the DLC.

9 Likes

Few screenshots would be atleast something they could share.

9 Likes

Yes, not publishing a DLC less than a semester after its announcement means that is dead.

*Meanwhile, Starcraft II players waiting from its announcement until it’s release, years later
:frowning: :sleepy: :cold_sweat: :sob: :scream:

2 Likes

Remember, we are not only supposed to have Return of Rome DLC this year BUT ALSO a DLC similar to Dynasties of India.

4 Likes

I expect most models will need being remade from the ground up, you cannot keep the usual medieval-looking units and buildings, probably remake the interface too. Much heavier on that side than a regular DLC that at most requires a new architecture style and a few wonders castles and unique units, and I don’t expect screenshots until they have done most of it.

It does not mean it’s dead 100% but it means they are not very good in communication… With few controlled leaks, they could grow the hype much more.

3 Likes

I think they could port the models from AOE1DE ditectly.

6 Likes

Thats most likely what happens with AoE1 part of this DLC.

1 Like

Buildings appear bigger in AOE2, they’ll need at least upscaling them, if not remade to adjust the visual style.

Do you have a source for that?

This is the big question, will they stick to the old 25% bigger than the original size DE version architecture, or choose AoE2 size architecture and trees?

Hoping for a more expanded Stone Age, Ive always felt this part was a bit lackluster in the game.

I think there will be at least one new campaign revolving around Rome, and there will be an Indian civs DLC with an Alexander the Great campaign at the end of the year.

2 Likes

I guess it’s about this:

Which can actually mean many different things.

6 Likes

I think it’s merely about doing more regional AOE2 expansions. The expansion sold well, let’s keep doing some.

India wouldn’t be my first choice for an AOE1 expansion, we still lack any barbarian civ (Gauls Germans Scythians…).

2 Likes

topic should now be changed to when is dlc coming out

Sorry to disappoint you but life is not about creating hype, some things are better done in the dark

Sorry to disappoint you, but if you want to sell a product you might need to make your potential customers interested.
Good luck selling it “in the dark” with no publicity.

9 Likes

Aside from the campaigns, there is not much that can surprise me, as the gameplay is pretty much Aoe1 I already know