Return of Rome is finally here

Separate data set, pretty much like the DLCs for AoE 2 HD.

2 Likes

Is this what you’re hoping or has it been confirmed somewhere that they will be added to the AOE2 roster like the Dynasties of India, Dawn of the Dukes, Lords of the West DLCs?

Pretty much nothing has been confirmed so far, the release date is pretty much the biggest official news we had. It would be an understatement to say the community is annoyed by it and has been fighting over what should be done for some time.

4 Likes

Well, the official Xbox podcast confirmed all 16 AoE 1 civs as part of the DLC:

The only possible way to add them is via a separate dataset as AoE 1’s tech tree differs a lot, so AoE 1 civs won’t face AoE 2 civs.

1 Like

People should face it AoE1 civs wont fight vs AoE2 civs. Some screenshots which have been seen pretty much confirm that.

9 Likes

Timestamp? I am not fishing through an hour-long video for a few minutes of chat.

Oh I thought the vid would automatically go to the timestamp as I linked it with it. 35:18

2 Likes

Public beta when? I would love to give some last minute feedback

Not sure what you did, but nope. Thanks for the stamp though!

is the separate dataset confirmed? if so, I wonder how they can have at least 1 cross-playable civ with AOE2

My speculation but not too unlikely or better say the only solution to bring AoE 1 into AoE 2.

By making a new AoE 2 civ :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I dont get why people think aoe1 civs need to be balanced to play in SP or unranked lobbies AOE1 vs AOE2. Just let players have fun, like they did with the handicap stuff. Ranked matches are another thing, though

2 Likes

Whoops, I’ve never got the hang of flagging sarcasm on the internet

1 Like

Is that a good thing or bad thing

Good + the only likely way to bring AoE 1 into AoE 2.
In HD Edition you had the choice to play the 1.0c balance or the new balance that came with the DLCs.
With Return of Rome, you’ll then have the Return of Rome data set with AoE 1 and the Default set with AoE 2.

That sounds stupid. You do realize that apart from fishing ships and villagers these both games don’t really feature a single common unit?
Sure we have Elephant Archers and Armoured Elephants in both of them. But these are different units!
Also:

• Unit upgrades are differently balanced. I’m pretty sure AoE2 does have many more amour classes.
  • AoE1 didn’t feature herdables
  • AoE1 can’t garrison
  • AoE1 has nothing that could fight a castle, bombardtower etc.
  • Water was balanced very differently

And many more things why that wouldn’t work out without adjusting and rebalancing nearly everything that differentiates AoE1 from 2.
So than it would just be a dlc with “new” civs. While we already got half of them.

I could imagine having assests of both games wihtin the scenario editor? But you will have to decide which dataset to use.

4 Likes

I kind of don’t like that they made this the name for the Castle Age ram replacement as it suggests some kind of upgrade over a “standard” elephant (and that’s what this is in AoE1). IMO the baseline name should be Siege Ele, with the upgrade being Elite/Heavy/Imp/Armored Siege Elephant or even something like “Demolition Elephant,” although using the in-game conventions some people might think the latter would refer to an exploding unit.

1 Like

So what? People KNOW that, we all are not dumb, we just want some fun. Balance is for ranked matches

3 Likes

An explosive elephant would be absolutely stupid and now I need it in my life.

3 Likes

AoE1 civs definitely won’t fight vs AoE2 civsotherwise, by adding 16 new civs at once, the balance will collapse