Roman Empire confirmed, my thoughts

Hey guys, the roman Empire is confirmed for Age of Empires 4 and that´s great. I played AoE 1 before 2 and loved it, that there was a big Name like Rome. In AoE 2 it was weird, because the time was behind it´s existence. AoE 4 has them in and I think that´s great, because they are not seperated to many civs. What do you think about it?

2 Likes

it’s the HOLY Roman Empire. not the Roman Empire. two different things.

12 Likes

Not Holy, no Roman, not an Empire XD

10 Likes

The Romans in Age of empires 1 is completely different from the holy roman empire that is in Age of empires 4 so I think you got them confused with each other.

5 Likes

If AoE4 gets the Roman civilization, it would be the civ that in AoE2 is called the Byzantines. The classical Roman empire of Caesar and Augustus. Very briefly:

Rome was the capital of the Roman Empire for centuries and ruled by a single emperor starting in 27 BCE. Over the next few centuries it conquered an unprecedented amount of land around the Mediterranean.

In 330, its emperor moved the capital from Rome to a more advantageous location at the Greek city of Byzantium, which he renamed Constantinople after himself.

In 395 its emperor split the empire into the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire, giving rule of each to one of his two sons.

The Western Roman Empire continued until 476 when it fell to invaders. To acknowledge that he did not claim supreme power over the remains of the empire, the invading general sent the ornaments of empire, the diadem and purple robe, to Constantinople, signifying the end of that side of the Roman Empire.

The Eastern Roman Empire, which understandably identified themselves as “Romans” and their emperor as the Roman Emperor, continued until 1453 when the Ottomans conquered Constantinople, renaming it Istanbul (though the timing of the name change doesn’t perfectly line up). It is this Eastern Roman Empire that would later be called the Byzantine Empire by a German historian. That name stuck, for better or worse.

7 Likes

however I am happy to see HRE, as it includes mayn kingdoms which are basically countries nowadays, like Germany.

1 Like

I think it’s important when it comes to the Byzantine Empire to explain for those who doesn’t know how different west vs east was despite being the same Empire:

The Byzantine Empire was the eastern continuation of the Roman Empire after the Western Roman Empire’s fall in the fifth century CE. The Byzantine Empire shifted its capital from Rome to Constantinople, changed the official religion to Christianity, and changed the official language from Latin to Greek

Though Byzantium was ruled by Roman law and Roman political institutions, and its official language was Latin, Greek was also widely spoken, and students received education in Greek history, literature, and culture.

Throughout their history, the Byzantine Greeks self-identified as Romans (Greek: Ῥωμαῖοι, romanized: Rhōmaîoi), but are referred to as “Byzantine Greeks” in modern historiography.

Why I think this is important to point out is because I feel more often than not, that the Greeks of that time gets forgotten and everyone thinks of Roman as the Roman Empire from ancient times which is wrong and also disrespectful of the Greek people that lived during that time.

I want this to be more pointed out if they ever gets introduced in to the game as it would be more historical accurate and a chance for people to know more about this large Empire.

Thanks for reading.

6 Likes

troll post?

2 Likes

They should have just called it Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation instead.
Such a short nice name.

1 Like

sadly it isnt, but then again it walso wasnt back in the day. That way it would make more nations easier to include though^^

1 Like

Holy Roman Empire, not the Roman Empire. This is the equivalent of the Teutons. Two very different things.

correction :
HOLY roman empire
yeah?
there is a difference :slightly_smiling_face:

if there will be a roman empire at some point it will be the Eastern Roman Empire as to play out the fall of Constantinople, the western roman empire will not be a thing.

2 Likes

Like wooahh bruh, AOE4 has the Roman Empire? I can’t wait to, like, fight German Landsknechts with Roman Centurions
/sarcasm

Can we get pictures of how soldiers looked in both, eastern and western roman empire? Because the only romans i know are the ones wich soldiers were Centurions

The eastern Roman Empire existed for 1000 years apart from the west, so their gear varied.

2 Likes

You can get a glimpse of Byzantine gear in the post below. Most of them are from the middle and late-Byzantine period.
But seeing how the rest of the civs also begin closer to the high middle ages, they fit very well.

Thank you good sir!

There is a lot of variety in their units, and all of them are really different of what i thought!

1 Like

Gross, Voltaire subscriber.