RoR: Mongol Invasion of the Roman Empire and other stuff

Nah, if they know people are using these units in scenarios, they’d avoid overwriting stuff and would instead make new entries. That’s what they did with the original unused stuff.
Assuming this is still developed by Forgotten, then they’ll take care not to delete stuff, and might even fix things.

I kinda preferred it they’d “clean” up the list and give us a useful selection of AoE2 units.
Some units that would perfectly fit into AoE1 are missing like the Woad Raider. (The Elite version exists but transforms into another units after death.)
I’d love to see those units added with reasonable stats.

Well remember that the stats don’t matter. You can fix that with triggers.
I do wish that they’d fix the units that transform into others upon death. If we ask nicely, they might.

1 Like

Giving them reasonable stats would make things easier.
You can also not add armour classes though the Editor as far as I know and editing HP is currently broken for some units.

Well…True, but afaik they never adjusted the hp of unused units. I used triggers to fix that.
So I assume it’d be the same here.

Since Cavalry has +5 vs inf, Heavy cavalry has +6 and cata has +7. Why would infantry have -7 then even cavalry should do +7 not +5 damage vs inf in that case.

The triggers to adjust HP are broken for many units, according to the bug report forums.
Haven’t tried it out myself.

Cavalry had -2 vs. Infantry and Heavy Cavalry -1.
Yes that’s stupid, but that’s how they implemented it in AoE1(DE).

RoR does it the AoE2 way, even using the same armour classes for it.

This is exactly what happened – at least, based on the alpha/beta versions I’ve seen, and my experience opening AoE1 scenarios in AoE2. It’s a long time since I’ve done the latter, so I don’t remember exactly, but at least some units and buildings became their AoE2 equivalents. (Some didn’t, and this was a way of obtaining some hidden stuff, like heavy swordsmen and boarding galleys.)

I noticed some Conquerors heroes were missing like Cuauhtémoc, but…Then I realized, the new DE heroes like Xu Fu probably overwrote them.

This is kind of interesting, although seeing some of these together convinces me that AoE2 has little to gain from using AoE1 sprites outside of very niche applications (e.g. a whimsical scenario featuring time travel, a lost civilization isolated for ages, or diminutive groups of humans that build smaller structures). The more impressive size and variety of AoE2 units/buildings means that AoE1 has a lot more to gain from using AoE2 objects than vice versa.

I’m mostly not familiar with/interested in graphics mods, but I have a hunch that any desired graphic from the AoE1 side of RoR could be used in AoE2 (without mods) by referring to the graphic with the new Scenario Editor function. Although I don’t know where I’d start with tracking down their IDs - they don’t appear in AGE at the moment, but that’s probably because I haven’t bought the DLC.

I’ll admit that the scenario side of AoE1 with triggers, etc, is the one aspect of RoR that has the potential to catch my interest at some point. But I’d much rather finish my AoE2 projects first, and nearly all are held captive by bugs ATM.

There were other things as well. IIRC the hidden unit “DeerX” looked like a normal deer, but if you tasked it to attack something, it appeared as the AoE1 gazelle. Similar to another unit that had the fighting animation of an axeman. And the earliest form of “Advanced Heavy Crossbowman” had the attack animation of the AoE1 composite bowman, but it was reskinned a while ago with the Genoese Xbow sprite, and renamed to just “Heavy Crossbowman.”

It’s broken for all units I’ve tried it on. Supposedly someone have had success with adding negligible amounts of HP, but for all practical purposes, the Modify Attribute (HP) and Replace Object (wrt HP) are useless. Really wish they would fix these before moving onto The Next Big Thing™

Eh I disagree. The buildings are the biggest offenders, but a bunch can still be used.
Some units also need adjustments like elephants and come cavalry being tiny, other than that, they aren’t too different from aoe 2 sized humans.

Afaik Aoe 2 and RoR are entirely separate. You can only do crossovers through RoR.

And…That definitely needs fixing, the HP trigger is so important.

Anything can be used, but in my opinion the AoE2 side has little to gain (especially if you have to use a mod for AoE1 stuff). I’ve acknowledged that AoE1/RoR has a lot to gain from using AoE2 assets, but that’s not a point of particular interest for me.

What I mean is that the graphics have been downloaded regardless and theoretically there should be a way to reference them in AoE2 with the new Editor feature, which allows you to give a unit any graphic that can be referenced via a standard ID. In practice, it’s a long shot and possibly not the case since the RoR graphics may be applied in a way that’s different from the AoE2 graphics and/or may not have independent IDs that are intelligible to baseline AoE2.

Hmm, the AoE1 units look rather blurry. Is this the UHD graphics? (I don’t use them personally, because they tend to slow my computer down.)

Also, that elephant archer looks huge compared to his elephant!

The main application I can think of is using the AoE1 composite bowman for a Japanese longbowman. I think the AoE1 assets that would benefit AoE2 the most are terrain and gaia ones, which, apart from the gazelle, are not even in Return of Rome.

1 Like

Fun fact, i inspected both the ai files and the data files, and i found entries of some unused units and technologies, mostly upgrades of existent “dead end units”. in the Ai there constants of :
Units:

• Bronze Axeman (upgrade of axeman)
  • Heavy Axeman (upgrade of bronze Axeman)
  • Horseman ( Upgrade of Scout)
  • Elite Horseman (upgrade of Horseman)
  • Heavy Slinger( upgrade of Slinger)
  • Heavy Camel Rider (upgrade of Camel-Rider)

Technology:

• saddles (horseman Upgrade?)
  • explorers
  • Lead-ammunition (Slinger Upgrade?)
  • Night-patrol
  • i l # # # (i had to sperate this leters because the forum sensor)
  • Silk (loom equivalent?)

However, only the axeman and slinger entries are present in the Data, but are hidden, and the only difference is the stats. This means that the devs at least at some point have considered adding these units and technologies. Now if they will add those later, or they scrapped the idea , and became cut content is unknow.

4 Likes

Very interesting.
Those units should all be added!
They need to make sure that the Axeman and Short Swordsman line don’t overlap too much. They could be mutual exclusive so only civilisations without Short Swordsman get the upgrades.

Horseman should be an anti archer line in contrast to the Cavalry line that is anti Infantry.

I would be very cool if they would add them. Today I was thinking if Iron Age scout upgrade would be called lancer then it could even have charge attack so it’s first strike is stronger than usual attack. Maybe charge gives +10 for first strike and then it has long cooldown. Phyrros hero actually has charge attack in RoR.

Since some civs dont get chariot horseman/light cavalry should also have conversion resistant and maybe civs who don’t have chariots have better scout line.

1 Like

Yes is very interesting indeed, maybe the axeman upgraded forms can gain an increase in speed to became bether raiding units (or to react bether versus speed units like scouts or horse archers, and maintaining or expanding its atack bonus vs cavalry units (like the spearman line in the Aoe2 but without that extreme bonus damage). since they are light infantry units, they shoud not gain more mellee armor, only a bit of pierce armor.

I agree that axemen upgrades should have little bit higher speed than swordsmen, even game says now its light infantry.

My idea for axeman final upgrade was actually falxman, which was suppose to have +5 vs hoplite line.

Falxman: (If barbarian civs would come to AoE1 I would reserve this unit for them, anyway only very few civs should have access to them)
85 HP, 12 attack, no armor, +5 vs hoplite line and moves 5% faster than swordsmen line.

Wait they’re in the data files? As in you could use them in the scenario editor? (The Axeman and Slinger)

Giving the Iron Age Horseman a charged attack would be cool.
Also the Scout already has a spear so:
Scout → Horseman → Lancer
Would make sense and would make them very distinct from the Cavalry Line.
The charged attack would be especially useful against Archers because it would potentially allow you to kill them first strike with 2-3 Lancers.

I think the Horseman/Lancer should be mutually exclusive to the Chariot and maybe even to Slinger upgrades.

I think it’s kinda counter intuitive for an Axeman to be good against cavalry.
I wouldn’t be against adding a new Infantry Line (that is not trash like AoE2) for that purpose.

They are unfinished so you can’t use them. They also don’t have graphics.
Some are only mentioned in AI files.