RoR: Mongol Invasion of the Roman Empire and other stuff

They are hidden.
Heavy slinger Id: 6
bronze Axeman Id: 532
hevy axeman Id: 533

1 Like

They’re invisible? Or do they have placeholder graphics assigned?

They have the same skins and name of the slinger and axeman, the only change is in the stats.

Bronze Axeman uses the same sprite as Axeman and Heavy Axeman doesn’t work (supposed to appear next to it on the right, the one on the left is a normal Axeman)

Ooh then that’s quite useful!

So maybe a trash spearman can be intruduced, for counter cavalry units ( in tool age and when the player cant afford the hoplite line), and the axeman-line became an anti-trash, or gain a bonus damage vs buildings, for an example.

One trash Infantry line is enough.
The Spear Line should cost Gold but be a lot cheaper then the Hoplite Line and also benefit from Logistics.

1 Like

I would prefer adding spearman instead buffing axeman ability vs cavalry.

I had rough idea how strong that spearman was suppose to be.
40-45HP, 4 attack, no armor and +8 vs cavalry/mounted.

3 Likes

I’m not keen on this name – way too semantically similar to ‘cavalry’. (They’re just the Latin-derived and Germanic-derived words for the same thing.)

Alas, the censor still got it!

And the portrait of a whale?!

My solution would be to rename the hoplite line:

• Hoplite → Spearman
  • Phalanx → Hoplite
  • Centurion → Phalangite

and alter the graphics accordingly. This would solve the problems of (a) civs get hoplites that shouldn’t; (b) hoplites shouldn’t be available in Bronze Age, (c) ‘Centurion’ is a silly name for that unit.

2 Likes

Funny you mention that, because as far as I can see, the Whale wasn’t ported over and is one of the missing units.

1 Like

yes the forum sensors the word, no mather how i spell it.
Also the name of Cavalry (the unit in the stables) is a bit vague and to simple.
Horseman is maybe a internal placeholder name, like the name “bronze axeman”.

How I would expand the Tech Tree:
All names are placeholders!

Bold = new

Barracks:

Clubman → Axeman → Bronze AxemanHeavy Axeman
Short Swordsman → Broad Swordsman → Long Swordsman → Legionary
Slinger → Heavy Slinger
SpearmanHeavy Spearman
Javelin ThrowerElite Javelin Thrower

Archery Range:

Bowman → Auxiliary Bowman
Improved Bowman → Composite Bowman → Reflex Bowman
Chariot Archer → Heavy Chariot Archer
Horse Archer → Heavy Horse Archer
Elephant Archer

Stable:

Scout → HorsemanLancer
Chariot → Scythen Chariot
Cavalry → Heavy Cavalry → Cataphract
War Elephant → Armoured Elephant
Camel Rider → Camel Lancer

Siege Workshop:

Stone Thrower → Catapult → Heavy Catapult
Ballista → Helepolis
RamSiege Ram
Siege Tower

Academy:

Hoplite → Phalangite → Centurion
CrossbowHeavy Crossbow

New Units:

Spearman:

• Counters mounted units, especially Elephants
  • Costs Gold
  • Much cheaper then Hoplite Line
  • Does not benefit from Shield Upgrades → very weak against ranged units
  • Does benefit from Logistics

Javelin Thrower

• Counters Archers, especially mounted ones and Chariots (including melee)
  • Costs Gold
  • Does benefit from Shield Upgrades
  • Does benefit from Archer range upgrades

Crossbow

• Slow rate of fire
  • Low range
  • Large damage
  • More durable then other Archers (Pierce Armour)
  • Bonus damage vs. Elephants

Ram

• Needs no explanation
  • Good against walls

Siege Tower

• Exactly like in AoE2

Old unit lines:

• Slinger changes Stone into Gold cost with upgrade
  • Lancer does changed damage, especially vs. Archers
  • Hoplite Line +1 range (but damage reduced)
2 Likes

Some good ideas, but some of it also feels too Aoe 2-ish and too standardized.
I think Slingers should keep costing stone.

3 Likes
  1. Skirmishers and Spearman are not Trash
  2. A lot of lines would only be available to a few civilisations
  3. Slinger cost would only be changed through a separate technology (not Heavy Slinger). Real life Slingers used iron or lead projectiles because the higher density and can be shaped to be aerodynamic
  4. I think AoE2 is the better game but AoE1 has the better setting. AoE2 has also come a long way since 1999/2000 while AoE1 stayed the same.

The javelin-line, can be trained in the Academy (only in Bronze, and this is to not benefit from logistics). I Imagine it as better and more armored version of slinger (but also more expensive).

Like the hoplite is the heavy verson of the spearman and swordsman as a heavy verson of axeman.
The concept is common light vs heavy and elite armored units

I originally had them in the Archery Range but the Archery Range already has 5 units and they all have bows, the other ranged unit that doesn’t have a bow (Slinger) is also in the barracks.
They would be mutually exclusive to the Slinger, potentially even using the same slot on the Barracks. A way to make civilisations more different while also giving them enough tools to counter every possible enemy.

All the new Lines I proposed would start in the Bronze Age.

The Crossbow would be exclusive to the East Asians (besides the Japanese), with China having some kind of bonus for them.

Greeks also used weapon called Gastraphetes which was kind of crossbow. If that will be added then greeks should have that unit, but currently I think game does not need crossbow type unit in RoR, there are far more important units to be added mainly some unit upgrades to existing units and of course siege workshop should also have rams.

I know the Greeks had Crossbows too but not every civilisations needs every type of unit they had. Persians and Egyptians had Infantry too, but look at their AoE1 tech trees.

I agree that regional units (which I consider the Crossbow to be) are a lower priority.

I’d say the priority is:
Missing updates → New counter units → new regional units.

Edit:

I played around with the unlock mod a little more.
The Place building can turn into every AoE2 wonder (that was added up until the African expansion). I wish that was still a feature in normal AoE2, would be nice to be able to use multiple Wonder buildings in one civilisation for some scenarios.

To Composite Bowman fits so perfectly into Japanese or Asian settings in general.
Sadly a lot of units have been overwritten like the Chu Ko Nu.

I hope they officially let use use assets from both games in the other games editor.
They already moved back on the decision to not port the AoE1(DE) campaigns, maybe they will listen to the Scenario and Campaign creators too.

4 Likes

How exactly do you do this?

There is a building called Palace that has all AoE2 wonders in it that were added until the African Expansion.

1 Like