S P A I N

Lost me in the second half there. I don’t want a historical fiction based civ like 17th century Goths or 17th century Byzantines.

Porque lo de confederal es un invento de hace 3 días. Las coronas eran coronas, sea la Castilla o la de Aragón, reuniones de varios reinos y principados y la preeminencia la tenía el rey, no los territorios*. No puedes inventarte un término para intentar cambiar la historia con intereses políticos basándote en la importancia de un territorio durante un par de décadas, y más teniendo en cuenta que el reino importante de Aragón era Nápoles a años luz del resto, y debajo de este pero varios escalones por encima del resto el de Valencia. Si fuera por eso debería llamarse corona napolitano-valenciana-aragonesa.
Es como si te pones a llamar a Castilla el reino andaluz-castellano porque de Sevilla salían las expediciones a América y estaba la casa de contratación.
Y sobre todo, porque se sabe cuando, como y con que intereses se creó ese término: manipular la historia.

*Disclaimer con el Compromiso de Caspe en que votaron 3 compromisarios de cada territorio en igualdad, no se tenían por más y mejores.

2 Likes

Well, I’m no designer, so it was only a suggestion. But I would like to see most of the civs from aoe2

It amazes me that you think those near-arbitrary numbers mean anything. 1644 was merely the end date of the Ming dynasty. Do you see anything else in the game that screams “1644” or even late Ming? No, you don’t. Take that number and throw it from your head. It means nothing.

There is no rule saying that they have to stick to 2 civs per DLCs. They could do the Aztecs/Maya, the Spanish, the Moors, and perhaps one other all in one pack. Better yet, they could just add it to the game without it being a DLC.

1 Like

I think grenadiers screams XVII century, but if you want numbers, Streltsy corps was founded in 1550.

Instead of dynasties like China, Kingdoms.

You can have both. AoE4 campaigns cover multiple centuries.

A XD esta chida la pelea que se armaron.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t get it either.

1 Like

I hope you’re aware Aztecs already existed before the Spanish met them.

I mean, they could totally have a campaign not about meeting each other.

2 Likes

It could be Castile too…

Crown of Castile - Wikipedia (1065-1516)

The Crown of Castile [nb 1] was a medieval polity in the Iberian Peninsula that formed in 1230 as a result of the third and definitive union of the crowns and, some decades later, the parliaments of the kingdoms of Castile and León upon the accession of the then Castilian king, Ferdinand III, to the vacant Leonese throne. It continued to exist as a separate entity after the personal union in 1469 of the crowns of Castile and Aragon with the marriage of the Catholic Monarchs up to the promulgation of the Nueva Planta decrees by Philip V in 1715.

In 1492, the voyage of Christopher Columbus and the discovery of the Americas were major events in the history of Castile. The West Indies, Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea were also a part of the Crown of Castile when transformed from lordships to kingdoms of the heirs of Castile in 1506, with the Treaty of Villafáfila, and upon the death of Ferdinand the Catholic. The discovery of the Pacific Ocean, the conquest of the Aztec Empire, the conquest of the Inca Empire, as well as the conquest of the Philippines all helped shape the Crown of Castile into a global empire in the 16th Century.

The Aztecs will enter AoE 4 yes or yes… they are in AoE 2, they are in AoE 3, they will be in AoE 4…

2 Likes

I would like, if not in this DLC, in the next one, for my country Spain and some Mesoamerican civilization to be included.

3 Likes

And let’s not forget the Tercio arquebusier.

I’m sorry it wasn’t in AoE3 because the original game takes place in the American colonies, where this Spanish unit wasn’t deployed. But now in the Definitive Edition: After the Knights of the Mediterranean expansion, with European maps and cards allowing for troops deployed in the Italian wars, it’s curious that the Spanish lack their iconic early modern age unit in this game. The French even have the royal musketeers (one for all and all for one), if they choose a card that gives them a building to create them, the Spanish don’t.

On the other hand, it is appreciated that letters to the Spaniards were added that highlighted their role in the Viceroyalty, allowing you to obtain two Haciendas (Viceroyalty of New Spain) or obtain a temporary collection bonus in reference to the agricultural work of the viceroyalty towns (Marvelous Year), or the Spanish treasure card (Spanish Gold) to highlight the treasure they obtained from the conquests.

Let’s hope that in AoE IV, in the Imperial age, similar to the case of the Rus Streltsy, they get their famous Tercio Arquebusiers as a unique unit, whether they designate them as Kingdom of Castillo, Kingdom of Castile and Aragon, or just Spain.

2 Likes

In case you didn’t notice, this isn’t the AoE2 forums.

I have always wanted that unit… it hurts me a lot not to see it in AOE 3

The issue is that Spain is considered to have been created in 1504, while Castile has existed at least since the 13th century…

Or the AoE 3 forums…

AoE 3 has the Tercio, but it’s a Pikeman upgrade…

I didn’t mention AoE3 because he said shield. AoE3 civs have flags, not shields.
Besides, the AoE3 Spanish flag is the flag of Burgundy lol

Oh, my bad ^^’ Thx for pointing out

True…

It is because the house of Burgundy came to power in 1506 in Spain with Joan the Mad (daughter of the Catholic Monarchs) and Philip of Burgundy (son of Emperor Maxilian of Austria and Mary of Burgundy)…

The banner strictly speaking dates to the early 15th century, when the supporters of the Duke of Burgundy adopted the badge to show allegiance in the Armagnac–Burgundian Civil War (seen in the Burgundian campaign in AoE 2). It represents the cross on which Andrew the Apostle was crucified.

It was first used in the 15th century by the Valois Dukes of Burgundy, who ruled a large part of eastern France and the Low Countries as an effectively independent state. At the extinction of the Valois ducal line in 1477, the Burgundian Low Countries were inherited by the Habsburgs, who retained the title of Dukes of Burgundy and adopted the flag as one of the many symbols of their dynasty. After the Burgundian Habsburgs ascended to the throne of Spain in 1506, their officials introduced this ensign in the Spanish Empire throughout the Castilian and Aragonese territories in Europe and in the Americas.

Today the emblem can be found in various continents, where it may be used on regimental colours, badges, shoulder patches, and company guidons. Such widespread use in a variety of contexts, in several European countries and in nations of the Americas, reflects the historical reach of the Burgundian, Habsburg, and Spanish empires and territories.

2 Likes