Seriously:The size of the aoe4 house is too weird!

I’ll admit definitely not as noticeable in age 2 and 3 as in 4, however there were still some oddly scaled things, such as trains in 3 or the battering rams in 2, to name a couple.

1 Like

Of course, the official must have their own considerations, so the current building proportion is different from the first promotional film. It should be a compromise for the visibility of the game. The key point I want to express is that the building has been excessively reduced and should be slightly increased.

There are some simple ways to improve the building without altering the current gameplay:

1. Make some buildings taller, while still occupying the same grid size
  2. Idk why aoe4 devs are so obsessed with courtyards for almost every building. Anyway if the scale of a building is adjusted, keep the size of the main structure and decrease the courtyard (or the distance between the towers in the barracks, etc.) instead shrinking the entire model. The latter approach makes the main structure of the barracks smaller than houses.

Expanding on this: we all know aoe1 had ridiculously small buildings, and aom/aoe3 buildings are not as big compared to aoe2 either.
But, just look at aoe1: even though the buildings are small, houses are designed to occupy 1 grid, and buildings that occupy say 4 grids are modelled as 4x larger as houses proportionally.
Aoe4 houses occupy 1 grid. Other buildings like barracks are originally designed to occupy 4 grids (numbers are made up), so it has the scale of 4x a house, and then this 4x house structure is shrunk into 1 grid. That’s why it now looks funny. The height, the size of doors and windows, etc. look as if they are designed for people of different heights.

The solution is to simply remodel the barracks to fit in the current grid size. I know it takes time but I think devs should have that on mind for future updates.

6 Likes

I don’t think they can modify the model. Of course, they can enlarge the house a little by 30%.

I don’t think they can modify the model. Of course, they can enlarge the house a little by 30%…

Of course that they could modify the model. But moders sure will fix this issue soon. I would only ask the developers to put some decent mod that is official and that it stays optional as a graphic decision.

1 Like

Look, this is what aoe4 city should look like. The size of the house is very comfortable and does not affect the playability. After all, the blocked units only need to be highlighted,

I think the original purpose of the production team to reduce the house was to prevent players from mistakenly touching in street warfare, but this problem should be solved from the tactile feedback, rather than reducing the building. The size of the building is not the problem.

Please don’t blindly pursue the so-called “control and gameplay” and don’t give up the normal look and feel of the game. Excessive symbolization is not a good thing. Do you understand the horror Valley theory? The building proportion of aoe4 has been reduced to a serious discomfort. Please be sure to appropriately enlarge the size of the house in the later version.

8 Likes

This screenshot makes me literally jealous.

It looks so much better at that scale.

6 Likes

Barrack as big as a urban center. As it should have been

3 Likes

Bigger buildings would be nice, stronger outlines for units might be a fix for visibility, or players could get more used to adjusting map angle? Maybe be able to click “through” buildings to select units?

2 Likes

nah aoe1 is better than aoe 4

Not in this respect. They are like giants next to their houses there leaning on their roofs.

1 Like

2 Likes

Wow, that looks so good.

1 Like

This is what a game should look like.

Instead of oversimplifying and symbolizing the content of the game, it’s better to play chess directly.

4 Likes

It can be seen from this figure that the previous barracks only occupied four cells, so it can be modified according to the idea of my post:
Please open the building size to choose freely! - Age of Empires IV / IV - Discussion - Age of Empires Forum

I completely agree that the scaling of units and buildings are way off, and would be much better if they were more realistic. However, I’ve just received the official AOE4 Companion Book, and unfortunately this scale is by design. Sadly it seems like it’s here to stay…

2 Likes

I hate this. Zach, if you’re reading this, your decision sucks.

“Without feeling cartoonish” HAH!

3 Likes

Totally agree with this point. The buildings should be proportionally enlarged.

2 Likes

The overall scale may be by design. But many buildings were made smaller (along with their scale) due to gameplay issues, but their scale was not corrected for their new size.

This was not a design decision, but rather a hasty “balance” change that sacrificed scale (which would need to be corrected in these cases with a visual rework of these buildings).

2 Likes