Serjeants - the ultimate Teutonic Huskarls

From whatever I have seen, Mangonels are more common. If Crossbows are low in numbers, Knights are used.

Skirms see use with knight civs because they do well against both pikes and Archers.

1 Like

Needs a complete rework in my eyes. Sould be a counter play to mass cav if you played a greedy eco game. Only about half as strong power spike at it is atm, but not sacrificing your eco for it.
It’s silly to sacrifice your eco after you played greedy eco before, that makes no sense at all.

I disagree, it is not broken.

It just needs a tone down in the unit stats so you do not go 150 Vills and then just pop it. It should always be a desperation move, not something that you want to do.

No, it actually makes sense, since all that hoarded Food can go towards new Vills, and you still got a huge army and push out of it.

All it needs, is a stats tone down, and change availability from TC to Barracks.

I rather prefer them to give permanent bonuses which help the civ:

1. Burgandian Vineyards: farmers generate gold in addition to food. Conversion of food into gold deleted. Cost adjusted.

2. Flemish revolution: Flemish Militia at the TC unlocked. Gunpowder units +1/+1 armor. (Both civs lack last archer armor so this will buff their HC slightly).

3. Scootage: Sicilians receive a trickle of gold for every military (naval, foot or mounted) unit. Say, if I have 20 pikemen I receive 10 gold per minute. If I later have 20 Cavaliers, I receive 10 gold per minute. (Independent of unit). If I have 20 Cavaliers and 20 pikemen, I receive 20 gold per minute. The bonus changes with the number of units in the game and isn’t stuck at the point of research. Also, this does not affect teammates.

4. First Crusade: Siege units have +25% attack (only for class 3, 4 and 31). Classes 32 and bonus damage classes unaffected.

I think the correct play might be to make your own scouts to defend against their scout rush, especially if you’re getting bonuses on them from your civ or more early food

I’m not sure that their resistance to spearmen will guarantee a villager kill if the villagers have loom, they will probably be 1 - 2 scouts less than a civ with some kind of food bonus or they will be sending them later(So they’re either going to kill slower because of less damage or show up after you have walls)

Could get away with less scouts to defend than they sent to attack too if you fight them with villagers, and you can preemptively start making them, if they attack you they’re probably not going to be rushing with spearmen, scouts are ok if it’s archers(I don’t think archers are too likely either) you should at least break even if they send scouts, and if they don’t attack you, you can attack them with the scouts you made instead

would have to either be dirt cheap or the effect increased to be worth researching.

yeah, let’s give the unit with all sorts of longevity an attack boost they definitely don’t need.

1 Like

Dude, this affects Siege. Not Serjeants.

they have onagers, siege ram, and siege engineers, why do they need more damage on their siege? they aren’t a siege civ.

1 Like

Infantry and Siege go hand in hand, just like Light Cavalry and Cavalry Archers.

Maliians Militia:

1. HP - 45 - 60 - 60 - 70
  2. Attack melee 6 - 9 - 11 - 12
  3. Melee armor 0 - 0 - 0 - 1
  4. Pierce armor 2 - 3 - 4 - 4
  5. Attack bonus vs eagles 2 - 6 - 8 - 8
  6. Movement Speed - 0.9 [0.99 with Squires]

Thats a comparison. Malian inf definetely better.

edit: I adjusted the values to the various bonusses + blacksmith upgrades.

Can’t compare Castle Age swordsmen to Feudal Age Serjeants.

Also for next time ignore the contribution of Cavaliers and 2HS. Compare Long Swords and Knights to Castle Age versions and Champions and Paladins to Imperial Age versions.

Also, LS have +6 vs Eagles. 2HS do not have inherent melee armor.

Should be 2 - 3 - 4 - 4. 2HS is Imperial Age unit.

1 Like

But you can compare it to Men-at-Arms, and M@A wins.

Can’t say 1 on 1. M@A have +1 attack but Serjeants have +1 melee armor. Though m@a better at cost effectiveness.

Which is EVERYTHING in the Feudal Age.

Sorry I forgot the first line.
But still, besides the serjeant might be pop efficient in some matchups, the malian champ is definetely better investment in almost every matchup.

• malians get gbeto, the ideal ranged support to this.

It is a dicey statement. Gold isn’t of much value. Serjeants are created faster (20 s vs 21 s) which can be decent. Either invest a ton of resources in Supplies or have no food-effectiveness.

Thanks, I corrected this.

But still, for me, the Malian militia is at least as arrowfire resisitant as serjeants. They lack some melee armor, but melee armor isn’t that important as pierce armor. But malian inf has also more attack, which compensates for the lack of melee armor.
WIth equal res malian militia line beat serjeants convincingly in each age + they trade better with almost every other unit except I think the spear line and maybe Throwing axemen. But as malian inf destroys spears anyways, that isn’t so important.

Because of their higher attack malian infantry is also a better raiding unit given the same pierce armor.

In total, i prefer malian militia line in all fighting aspects to the serjeant, and as malians aren’t op in any way, the serjeant can’t be op either. It’s just a slightly pop efficient though much costlier variant to the malian champion in my eyes.

1 Like

Too bad that this is wrong.
M@A - +1 attack, Serjeants; +1 armor
Long Swordsmen - +1 attack; Serjeants +3 armor
2HS - +1 attack, Lack Blast Furnace; Elite Serjeants +4 armor, +15 HP
Champions - +2 attack, Lack Blast Furnace; Elite Serjeants +3 armor, +5 HP

+33% food, +25% gold for the serjeant, easily more than compensates the slightly better stats

Even if it was the same cost, they would just be slightly better than the malian infantry. Still malians would win the open field battle because of their gbeto support.

You stated, serjeants would be like teutonic huskarls, but as shown the malian infantry is almost as strong as the serjeant in pop efficiency. Which definetely shows the serjeant is nothing extraordinary to the game, it fills the same role as malian militia but costs much more. And Sicilians lack the high pierce armor pikeman and gbeto to support the serjeants as effective as malians can support their champs.

1 Like