Should there be new expansions?

Exactly as the title says: Do you want new expansions for AoE DE and, if so, what would you like to see added?

I personally would like to see new expansions for AoE1. At the moment, the game covers the Mediterranean, Mesopotamia, and to some degree East Asia. So, I’d like to see continental Europe (Celts, maybe Germans?) and South-East Asia to be represented in a new expansion. I don’t think we know enough about Sub-Saharan Africa or the New World at that time to add any civs from there. Correct me if I’m wrong.

One thing that’s always bugged me is the fauna. It’s distinctly African (elephants, gazelles) even though the game isn’t set just in Africa. There should be new terrains (snow, swamp, rainforest, …) and new fauna suitable for continental Europe, as well as South-East and East Asia (deer, wolves, aurochsen?, wisents?, tigers, …).

So, what do you think? :slight_smile:

I would’ve liked this to be a poll, but apparently you can’t make polls in this sub-forum. :confused:

16 Likes

I would not want expansions, and here’s why.

First off, it’s not logistically plausible. The Forgotten Empires team is going to begin work on AOE 2 DE immediately after this game is released and patched. While I love AOE 1 more than AOE 2, 2 is the bigger and more important title, so they should put all they can into making it great.
If the team is spread too thin among multiple Age games (they are working at full steam just on this one), I doubt they could produce a high-quality expansion and the second DE at the same time.

Second, if the team has ANY more time to work on AOE 1 DE, I want them to put it into mod support.
We don’t know everything, but so far it looks like this game be far more difficult to mod than AOE 1. AOE 1 isn’t exactly mod-friendly, and they promised us a Definitive Edition that has easy mod support.
Providing the community the tools they use, or at least giving us easy access to the game files, would go a long way and open the gates for mods that add just as much value as expansion packs would.

Pro tip for making a poll:
When you make a new post, the URL is forums.ageofempires.com/post/discussion/disscussions
If you change the word “discussion” to “poll” you can make a poll. It turns out like this:
https://forums.ageofempires.com/post/poll/disscussions
I have never found any other way to make a poll on these forums, so I assume it’s some kind of mistake that there is no option for it.

2 Likes

@sonictimm said:
I would not want expansions, and here’s why.

First off, it’s not logistically plausible. The Forgotten Empires team is going to begin work on AOE 2 DE immediately after this game is released and patched. While I love AOE 1 more than AOE 2, 2 is the bigger and more important title, so they should put all they can into making it great.
If the team is spread too thin among multiple Age games (they are working at full steam just on this one), I doubt they could produce a high-quality expansion and the second DE at the same time.

You may be right about this. On the other hand, they could use assets they create for AoE II DE in an expansion for AoE DE. I mean, they’ll be creating especially terrain and fauna that would be compatible with AoE I. So, if they can’t stem another full DLC right now, they could just patch a bunch of assets into the game which could then be used in custom scenarios and random map scripts. :slight_smile:

Second, if the team has ANY more time to work on AOE 1 DE, I want them to put it into mod support.
We don’t know everything, but so far it looks like this game be far more difficult to mod than AOE 1. AOE 1 isn’t exactly mod-friendly, and they promised us a Definitive Edition that has easy mod support.
Providing the community the tools they use, or at least giving us easy access to the game files, would go a long way and open the gates for mods that add just as much value as expansion packs would.

That’s a valid point.

Pro tip for making a poll:
When you make a new post, the URL is forums.ageofempires.com/post/discussion/disscussions
If you change the word “discussion” to “poll” you can make a poll. It turns out like this:
https://forums.ageofempires.com/post/poll/disscussions
I have never found any other way to make a poll on these forums, so I assume it’s some kind of mistake that there is no option for it.

There is an option for it, just not in every sub-forum. :slight_smile:

I personally would love another expansion, but a small scale one. Maybe some small updates like you said about the animals, maybe a new civ or two, maybe a new unit, maybe…castles?? But I highly doubt that they will be adding anything as someone posted above about AOE 2 and so on.

So, there is precedent of a modding project being turned into an official expansion successfully (Forgotten Empires). Now, I’ve come across this very promising project:

Age of Empires: Beyond the Indus Expansion

http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=17,6507,,10

I know it isn’t designed for the Definitive Edition (yet?) but it definitively looks amazing and very true to the original game. So why not put some money into it and make it official?

5 Likes

■■■■ Yeah, that would totally be awesome. It always bugged me that AoE 2 got like 3 expansions now and AoE 1 got none (given the difference in community sizes, this seems logical of course, I just always hated this). I would just love to see three additional civilisations and some additional units. I don’t really care too much about the terrains or the animals.

2 Likes

I doubt if the demand is there to make it an attractive business proposition, its probably better for the Team to move on to AOK:DE.

Would I want an expansion? I’m fairly ambivalent. The original AOE was more popular on Voobly than ROR and it just split the community. Unlike for AOK on Steam could they have a merged community on Xbox Live where those with the expansion could pick the new civs and those that don’t - can’t, I don’t know.

If it didn’t sell well then would they support balancing? I think it’s a risk that’s not worth taking, there’s been enough variety to keep my Interest for 20 years.

I think this is just a test project for the rest of the proposed titles. The number one thing we need is a proper community lobby system, like we had on Voobly and the Zone. AOE is incredible but what made it great originally was the community though ironically it was the community and its toxic ‘known/unknown’ attitude that I think caused it to die as it became a closed community.

Hopefully in the long run we will see the DE on Steam with Mod Support.

@AKC_HellStriker said:
Hell Yeah, that would totally be awesome. It always bugged me that AoE 2 got like 3 expansions now and AoE 1 got none (given the difference in community sizes, this seems logical of course, I just always hated this). I would just love to see three additional civilisations and some additional units. I don’t really care too much about the terrains or the animals.

Excaually, AoE 1 did have an expansion; “Rise of Rome”, but just saying.

I think so, there should be expansions. The base of the game is a common technological tree, without unique units. To conserve this without all civilizations being the same, an expansion with new units that bring variety is very important.
Also, I think Axeman and Scout need an evolution to not give so much advantage to the civs who get Chariots in the late game.
Or also that the basic archer is the one who evolves to Composite.
The siege weapons are insufficient, and some civs hardly have the Stone thrower. A battering ram and some other type of weapon would be good.

5 Likes

@korowizard said:
I think so, there should be expansions. The base of the game is a common technological tree, without unique units. To conserve this without all civilizations being the same, an expansion with new units that bring variety is very important.
Also, I think Axeman and Scout need an evolution to not give so much advantage to the civs who get Chariots in the late game.
Or also that the basic archer is the one who evolves to Composite.
The siege weapons are insufficient, and some civs hardly have the Stone thrower. A battering ram and some other type of weapon would be good.

Mostly of them before the Assyrians don’t had such thing.

@Torgrimmer said:

@AKC_HellStriker said:
Hell Yeah, that would totally be awesome. It always bugged me that AoE 2 got like 3 expansions now and AoE 1 got none (given the difference in community sizes, this seems logical of course, I just always hated this). I would just love to see three additional civilisations and some additional units. I don’t really care too much about the terrains or the animals.

Excaually, AoE 1 did have an expansion; “Rise of Rome”, but just saying.

I have gold edition.

@Augustusman said:

What are you talking about? Of the battering rams? They are the oldest siege weapons, even before the catapults. Do not believe that in ancient times it was all sticks and stones.

2 Likes

@korowizard said:

@Augustusman said:

What are you talking about? Of the battering rams? They are the oldest siege weapons, even before the catapults. Do not believe that in ancient times it was all sticks and stones.

That’s I’m talking, mostly of bronze civs don’t have catapults.

Agree with Augustusman, as I wrote several times, some civilizations don’t posses historical accuracy and logical way of military set. I am a historian and I can tell you that most of the 16 civs are completely messed up. Chariots are seen almost every were as well as elephants that don’t belong to certain factions ( Palmyra, Sumerians, Hittites, Phoenicians ) fire galleys are historically set in completely different era ( firstly used in 7 century AD ) and so on. I only hope that modders will be able to re do the units into civilization groups since it is very frustrating to play with all cultures and to share the same textures of units. About rams, it is a good idea since siege engines were firstly used by Assyrians and then the more advanced types were introduced by Syracuseans, Athenians and Macedonians. Also axemen and scouts would benefit for another Bronze Age visual and stats upgrade in terms of linothorax armor and round shields accompanied by bronze weapons.

That’s what I thought, in the game there are so many civilizations with elephants, that they should leave them only for those who used them (Carthage, Egypt, Macedonia).
But anyway, since there is no historical precision, speaking in terms of the game would be good the ram in bronze to win in variety and strengthen those civs that have almost no siege.
The theme of textures I said several times during the beta, it would be great.

Absolutely. There’s one big part of Antiquity missing in Aoe 1, and it’s Northern Europe.
The Germanic tribes, Gaul, etc. Those civs were quite important, especially for Rome.

And it’ll also give us a chance to get snow and ice for scenarios.

Aoe 2 benefited tremendously from the new content it got from it’s expansions.

4 Likes

@korowizard said:
That’s what I thought, in the game there are so many civilizations with elephants, that they should leave them only for those who used them (Carthage, Egypt, Macedonia).
But anyway, since there is no historical precision, speaking in terms of the game would be good the ram in bronze to win in variety and strengthen those civs that have almost no siege.
The theme of textures I said several times during the beta, it would be great.

Persian use elephants. Even Shang use them.

1 Like

There’s probably a lot of mods we could dredge up from AoEH that already have “snow”, rams, heavy camel, heavy slinger etc. Could combine those into an expansion type mod pending support of mods that aren’t just maps and campaigns.

Whether AoE DE will have expansions depends on how well it sells. I personally really hope to see new content, new civs are welcome but I would prefer the devs to focus on new common units (like rams and maybe siege towers?) and upgrades (eg slingers and scouts). A larger tech tree would offer more possibilities and would add even more depth to the game.

@TheticalCorn759 said:
Whether AoE DE will have expansions depends on how well it sells. I personally really hope to see new content, new civs are welcome but I would prefer the devs to focus on new common units (like rams and maybe siege towers?) and upgrades (eg slingers and scouts). A larger tech tree would offer more possibilities and would add even more depth to the game.

Agree with you on this but I will also say that we as a community must tell them that without unit diversity or lets say grouping civilizations into different unit groups similar to how they function with buildings, this is very disappointing and unhistorical even though the game is great. Is there a chance to do this or will they simply follow their guidelines ?