Siege towers should be half price

200 wood 160 gold is a ridiculous price for such a bugged unit with very little purpose, which is possibly the least used and least popular unit in the game. Even on Arena it’s not that common. Reducing them to 100 wood 80 gold cost would make infantry play a lot more viable. Or 150 wood 100 gold if half price is too much of a buff.

Edit: Gold prices now corrected.

8 Likes

I used to think this myself until I saw the video T90 posted. You can use this to garrison/ungarrison units around castles/towers and soak up all the damage. It’s much stronger than I thought. While I do agree though, the unit overall is useless, this aspect, is kinda broken. So, it kinda balances itself out.

*160 gold

20 characters

5 Likes

THe problem with this is that looks just ridiculous. Siege towers supose to be to jump over walls, not fo this exploitment.

1 Like

Agree, but i also think it should have other form of utility to be useful, another tipe of niche/trait

But yeah, definitely need to be cheaper for a start

1 Like

Siege Tower should allow shooting arrows if Archers garrisoned. Also I don’t get it how hard it is to keep Siege Tower stick to the wall. Units should pathfind through Siege Tower if possible

1 Like

I also tough that abou archers but i feat it could lead to problems as if there is a Archer vs Archer situation in Castle Age (pretty common) or skirms, then a player night make a siege tower and the opponent is suddenly unable to trader (PA of the siege tower) and to escape (Speed while garrisoned) resulting in an outcome that for sure it’s not needed.

Range units give no speed bonus to rams or siege towers, only infantry does.

2 Likes

for soaking dmg from arrows, ram does the same job and are able to destroy building.

I saw this topic, and it give me some idea at how the siege tower could be improved. Like, it could be a multi-purpose siege unit?

Some idea:

• his speed is increase each 5 infantry unit garrisoned. Because since a siege tower can garrisoned more unit than a ram, it could be too strong if one individual infantry unit increase his speed.

• like some says, garrisoned archers add the ability to shoot from the siege towers, but with specificities:

• each garrisoned archers increases his attack, but his range is fixed at 6.
    • the arrows has bonus damage against building
    • for each 5 garrisoned skirmisher, the siege tower obtains +1 bonus damage against archer
    • for each 5 garrisoned handcannoneer, the siege tower obtains +1 bonus damage against infantry
    • in imperial age, siege tower benefit from siege engineer, so it get more bonus damage against building + 1 more range
  • the siege tower could have an upgrade in imperial age, which increased his hp by 50, his garrison capacity 10 to 20, and it get 1 more range.

• for the siege tower to unload unit over ennemy walls, it goes into a stationary state, like the trebuchet, where it can’t attack and move (obviously), ally foot unit can go over the wall just by clicking on the siege tower.
    Maybe this state could be cancel if the ennemy build behind the wall, or the siege tower prevent that? But it’s probably too strong.

It’s just some idea, it’s probably not very balanced, but I wanted to share what come in my mind to give this unit more utility.

Also, sorry if my english isn’t very good,I hope it’s at least understandable.

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been suggesting in this forum for years and no its not strong. Paying 200w and 160g for this is already to much expensive. Sure can be balanced in future but atleast far better than something that does absolutely nothing.

Could easily get around that issue by allowing the defending player to micro and kill the archers firing from the siege tower. The siege tower would only give them a hill bonus. It wouldn’t protect them from being killed. You would be able to choose whether you want to protect them inside the siege tower but they can’t shoot, or let them shoot but leave them vulnerable to be killed by defending archers or skirms.

I don’t like the adding arrows to siege tower idea. It is very exploitable imo.
I think the problem with siege tower is not the Siege tower itself.
It is a game flaw design: There is no walkable gap between buildings.
What if would exists a trasspasable perimeter between 2 buildings placed togheter (only for non defensive buildings). This gap should be enough wide to let foot units walk between buildings, but not let mounte d and siege units pass.
This way infantry and archers could have an advantage vs cavalry in assault and raiding situation.
Plus, you could use siege tower effectivelly.

One consideration:
Siege tower should be able to jump 1 stone wall, 2 palisade wall or 1 stone wall + 1 Palisade wall.
From 2 Stone walls of 3 Palisade walls siege tower can’t jump.

1 Like

I dont like the idea that a single unit could make palisades completely useless. But i do agree siege tower should have a bridge which comes down and the units auto drop when you click a wall.

But if you compare palisades cost vs 1 siege tower cost (plus you need to be in castle age and build a siege workshop)… Sounds very unfair for Siege tower…

Explain to me, in clear examples, why the Siege Tower costs gold.

I’ll wait.

5 Likes

None of this is necessary, there’s no need to completely redesign it. Just improve its main purpose, i.e. fix the bug so that clicking the wall or clicking anywhere on the other side of the wall drops your units every time. And lower its cost. It’s already much faster than a ram, so it doesn’t need a speed buff when garrisoned. And the whole garrisoned archer mechanic would add too much complexity to what should be a simple unit.

1 Like

I think before changing the price for the unit we should first try:

A) Siege Towers can be used in both directions to cross a wall
B) Siege Towers can go over multiple layers of walls when adjacent to each other
C) Certain units (i.e. the Militia line) can construct Siege Towers, so they can also further advance when the opponent backwalled

4 Likes

200 IQ move -
Siege Tower cost 200w/160g → 375w.
Siege Tower speed 0.8 → 0.6
Garrisoned infantry increases speed by 0.05 → 0.1
Use Siege Tower, a new trash unit, that paired well with infantry as they give your infantry Hussar like speed.

until u try to repair that siege tower cost as much as TC lmao