Slight italian land buff?

No I said exactly as it is, they have bonus damage against it, which just gets negated completely by their bonus armor.

Ahh sorry my mistake, i misunderstand what you said.

Which is the point of the cataphract. Which means, Viper made a mistake using them against it and wasn’t aware how this unit matchup works. Even pros learn new things every now and then.

Of course, but i think in general on that video you can see why the italians are weak on land maps.

I don’t know about the university

Malians have 80% faster researching techs, maybe for italians they could “include” ballistics in the dock techs so it have a 50% dicount, as it affect gallons too.

Train training time could be lowered though

In the wiki it states 22s (19s for elite, and i think about 16/17 with conscription), overall i think it’s about that, maybe a second less, but still a lot more than other UU archers.
https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Genoese_Crossbowman

1 Like

No but every bit helps, and i think they need it.

1 Like

Yes but the italians discount is more solid, it’s 20% and it also cover the wood cost.
I think that it mekes them more useful for counter onager, scorpion and trebuchet, but less powerful to other BB and buldings lacking siege engineers.
Still this is balanced to me.

2 Likes

its definetly hard to keep up production of Genoese since you need a castle and they have one ot the longest training times if your enemy switches from arbalest to mass paladins out of 4-5 stables (persians is a good example) its going to take you a decent bit to be able to face him

1 Like

Exactly, they need to be trained more fast, it’s their only weakness since even the cost it’s not that big.

1 Like

this is true but Portuguese also get the unique tech arquebus where the BBC, HC, and cannon galleon can hit moving targets like ballistics for archer units/ buildings

True, but Italians are still a better Water civ than Ports, and have a better Stables and Barracks. These are fair trade offs.

2 Likes

True, factoring siege engineers and arquebus portughese BC are definitly strongher, but those are expensive techs for an expensive units, where italians also have acess earlier/with more resources (cheaper age up).
It’s about pros and cons.

2 Likes

i would say in late imperial ports have a better navy. while italians dominate the early game via galley rush and pumping out the techs faster. once late game hits on water maps and both sides have all techs researched the ports have a +10% hp on ships while also having the caravel which is like a scorpion on water, and the other unique tech is basially pavise but for ships +1+1 armor. the only thing missing from portugal navy is the shipwright tech and lack of fast fire ship , but with the caravel why even miss it. also it can be aruged feitoria is strong on water maps (islands or team islands specifically) as when trees run low you still have a steady wood income

1 Like

I agree with the better stable, and i would say their barracks is tied. Condotierro for italian, halbadier for portugese

1 Like

I’m not so sure on better barracks, portughese have halberdier, italians don’t, and to me condos need a bit of a buff.

1 Like

Yea no problem at all.

Ah right, I didn’t even watch the video haha. xD I was on phone so it’s hard to see what happens there. Might do that now though.

If the wiki says its 19 for the elite, I’ll believe it. Yes conscription of course changes every units (except siege and dock) creation time numbers with equal % amount so it doesn’t matter. We are always talking about base creation time. If there is no valid reason why it takes so dam long it could be lower. However if there has been a balance decision for it, I won’t see it getting changed.

Oh yes, it was faster, not cheaper. Someone was also trying to give this cheaper university tech bonus to portuguese on another thread. If one gets it though, the other one wont 11.

1 Like

On water italians dominate, having better ships dosn’t help if you are outnubered and outteched, and both s hipwright and fast fire ship are important. you can’t buld up on tankier galeons and caravel if you are constantly harassed.

3 Likes

Portuguese lack both early and late water bonus, but here we are getting off topics, this one is about buffung the italians, we should create a new topic if we want to discuss portuguese.

1 Like

The +10% HP bonus and Carrack, make Ports Navy better than Italians, but Caravel does not do much in 1v1.
You also have to factor in that Italians Age Up faster, because it costs less resources, so they will have their Imp age Navy faster, and larger, due to Techs also costing less.

Caravel is way worse than Fast Fire Ship, since it only pays off if both fleets are huge, while Fast Fires can make sure your enemy never even gets there.

The true Ports trump card is the Feitoria, which makes Portuguese an outlasting civ, since they can pump out Gold units forver, if they survive the Italians faster and more advanced Navy push.

Condotierro also makes sure that Ports never train HCs, or Organ Guns, so Arquebus loses a lot of value. Against Italians on Land, Ports are forced to use Arbalests, Habs, and Elite Skirms, all of which the Condos and Italain Arbalests are good against. ports cannot even properly support their lategamne options with FU Hussars, like Italians can, so Italians having only Pikes is not a true weakness in this matchup.

2 Likes

In which way are they lacking? +10 att bonus vs gunpowder units and +10 armor against anti-infantry (so slingers and catas are affected too, except slingers and catas now have +10 specifically against an armor class called condottiero, which the condottiero received, so slingers still do +10 against them and catas still do +12 total [10 vs condottiero, 12-10=2 vs infantry] as against every other infantry, +6 more with logistica).

Since their role is to murder gunpowder, they are pretty good at that imo.

2 Likes

If there is no valid reason why it takes so dam long it could be lower. However if there has been a balance decision for it, I won’t see it getting changed.

I think it’s low because i compare with other UU archer (about 16-18s in castle age, less than 8 in late imperial) also it’s a castle, it’s difficult to keep up with stables.

Oh yes, it was faster, not cheaper. Someone was also trying to give this cheaper university tech bonus to portuguese on another thread. If one gets it though, the other one wont 11.

It doesn’t have to be all techs discounted, maybe italians could have ballistics, other civ something else. Or it could be similar to koreans, that they receive free towers upgrades.

2 Likes

I believe condos lost the anti-anti-infantry armor in a patch,but I could be wrong on that.
nevermind i see you addressed that with the condo armor class

1 Like

Yup. Condos are a huge barrier against Portuguse and Turks Land compositions. They are perhaps one of the best units in the whole game.

1 Like

maybe 30% cheaper dock tech 20% cheaper univeristy tech?