So. . . No preview, no release date, not even a picture? Only two flags?

Could more civilizations be added in AOE-2? AOE-3, on the other hand, can last much longer in the future. It is far from feeling saturated.

The announcement said they were “excited to reveal a new DLC with new civilizations”. But they didn’t. We don’t have anything besides 2 flags, when they had already said that we will be getting new civs in it. We got almost notnew info, so I don’t know what the excitement was, specially when many of us knew that those flags already leaked months ago. There hasn’t been any reveal. That I would call a bit misleading.

7 Likes

I just want dev updates—even if they only tell us “hey look at this cool unit we made for the Poles, they’re good at X and Y”. That would make waves in a good way.

14 Likes

So that they can write at least one sentence about some Danish and Polish ruler on Twitter without any context - officially.

5 Likes

I have a theory, what if the developers did not have the civilizations planned and they had a time limit to choose two civilizations until the YouTube live? That would explain why they are two European civilizations, which are the easiest to make, because there was no gameplay or proper name for the DLC and because it also does not have a release date.

I clarify that this is a theory and is not necessarily what happened. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mon coté utopiste espère qu’il n’y aurait pas que deux civs pour le prochain dlc.

1 Like

AoE2 player exclusively. I’m normally not on the AoE3 topics, but a lot of AoE2 fans were also disappointed with the event so I’ve been going back and forth seeing what’s going on.

Yeah, It really seems like MS wanted a huge franchise wide event but just didn’t have the goods, so they had to over-hype everything, in some cases to the point of outright deceit, to cover the fact they had nothing to announce.

AoE2, an up-cycled scenario pack became a “campaign focused” expansion.
AoE3, two flags became a “DLC announcement”
AoE4, a new login token thing became “a brand new season and new in-game reward”
AoM, cringe AR pegasus and Medusa and maybe 20 seconds of a monitor showing something other than code became “The team will take us behind the curtain”

AoE Mobile was the only game to have anything of substance.

They wanted an event, even though they had almost nothing to share, but figured if they lied to us to hype us up maybe we wouldn’t notice.

We noticed.

15 Likes

To be honest I think this is possible.

1 Like

It could be possible, however the flags of Poland and Denmark had already been leaked almost a year before, so I would like to think that they already have the DLC well developed.

1 Like

how strange and unusual to see an AoE2 player here

hello!

we appreciate your visiting and hope you’ll stick around :grinning:

3 Likes

They weren’t leaked—those were planned revolts that weren’t implemented cause people told them not to.

3 Likes

I don’t think that was the case. I don’t think Alan intended to implement them as revolutions.

Filtered as revolutions not as civilizations. It is possible that when the community found them, added to the fact that the players did not like them as revolutions, the developers now with a time limit will think that this way it would be easier to justify adding European civilizations again. Furthermore, this made it easier for them to build civilizations and everything was justified with “this is what the players were asking for”, something that is largely contradicted by several surveys on this forum.

Obviously this is pure speculation, but it explains well why this DLC has no date, images or anything except coincidentally those two flags. It is possible that throughout the year we see advances in these civilizations, but I do not have much hope that they are well thought out and do not seem improvised.

PS: Many assumed that the flags were a clue, I am inclined to believe that it was a self-fulfilling “prophecy.”

I maintain that this is mere speculation and I hope no one takes it the wrong way. Obviously there are people who want these civilizations just as I want others, but we cannot deny that with the poor communication, the great lack of staff of the developers and the clear disinterest of the company, everything seems to be very improvised and poorly planned. For example, that live show was very childish and very poorly planned.

3 Likes

I think it was just trolling. Also, I once read that many of the flags in the game have a revolutionary version.

Then why were their flags in revolutionary styles and called “revolutions”? We even know some cards and units they were thinking of. If they were trolling that’s a weird type of trolling.

1 Like

I think you are trying too hard to justify something that we have no way of knowing for sure.

I ask you the following so that you can rest assured, let’s assume that I am right and my theory is correct, does it really matter? The civilizations are going to come no matter what, they have already shown them on video and they cannot be retracted without strong opposition from the players, something that is clearly not going to happen. Let’s assume that when they come they have many problems like what happened with Italy and Malta, they will end up fixing them sooner or later.

We also know the timeline—people found those in the files, then got angry cause they didn’t want them as revolts. So they didn’t see the work it would have taken as worth it if people weren’t gonna like them.

1 Like

That’s true, for the first time AoE 3 receives a dlc with more content than one from AoE 2 xd…

The civs of southern Africa (Zimbabwe), those of South America (Chimues, Muiscas), those of North America (Chichimecas, Mississippians, Puebloans, perhaps Hauds)… and Polynesians and Visayans in the Pacific… in AoE 3 you have this dlc, then the Middle East, Central Asia, SEA, southern Africa too, and in America you have civs galore (native and post-colonial)…

Yes, they could have said the name of the civs and given a little historical context of both with photos from Wikipedia…

################# post:46, topic:249303, full:true"]
Mon coté utopiste espère qu’il n’y aurait pas que deux civs pour le prochain dlc.
[/quote]

Il y aura 2 civilisations, dans AoE 3 DE c’était toujours comme ça…

Yes, the people at World Edge don’t know how to market their games… the 2 hour live stream, 20 mins is the start time so it doesn’t count, it takes 1 hour and 40 for the live stream and that hour and 40 they use it for an AoE 2 scenario and just when the live is about to end and all the AoE 3 and AoM players who were interested in the game have already left, they just show the Steam photos of the game… they could have announced the dlc of AoE 2 for half an hour like they did, then when they announce the civs of AoE 3, say “the new civs are Poles and Danes” and give a little historical context with images taken from Wikipedia and thus hype people up and with that the AoE 3 part took you half an hour and when you got to the AoM part you showed images and comparisons with the original game, that took you another half hour and with what you had left of time, you showed gameplay of the AoE 2 scenario the last half hour and everyone happy…

Yes, they must have prepared the dlc for a year, but it is not completely finished because at the same time they are focused on AoM Retold…

Yes, that doesn’t happen every day… make a wish xd…

The Poles and Danes first appeared as data leftovers for a possible revolution on the July Public Update Preview (which later became update 14.43676), but were later cut. The Poles would have featured Grand Hetman (possibly a hero), Scytheman, and Polish Lancers. The later is used with variations on the Revolutionary France Eclaireur and Dutch Red Lancer unit available through the namesake unique religious technology. The Danes would have featured Royal Grenadiers (Heavy Ranged Infantry with Promotions), Espingol (Artillery) and Royal Oldenburgs card (that would have allowed them to train Royal Grenadiers and allied the player with the House of Oldenburg).

2 Likes

Yes.
(20 characters)

I doubt highly that the DLC is advanced enough if the release date is late 2024.

My theory is that they were greenlighted to do the DLC at some point during the patch development after fans found the data and flags, that is why were removed.

Maybe the forums comments and complains helped them to convince the bosses to have a budget for that

2 Likes