To be clear: The underlying impression of the current state of the game, however, is that we already have a huge balance between civilisations (win rates between 45% and 55%) and only minor changes are needed. Here are suggestions that address the least picked Civs or the ones with lowest winrates. Additionally some of the weird Unique Technologies are mentioned.
- Access to Genitour.
- Technologies and Upgrades in the Stable, Archery Range, Barracks and Blacksmith cost no gold in the Feudal and Castle Age.
- Missionaries become Monks when a relic is taken and Spanish Monks can become Missionaries at a Stable (HP is then fixed to Monks’ HP to avoid a Stable abuse with Bloodlines) and vice versa.
- (Start with +50 Stone).
Genitour becomes a regional unit (see Berbers) and fits in a Spanish mounted army composition. The amount of Gold saved with this change is 625 in Feudal+Castle (for Blacksmith, E-Skirms, Pikes, Light Cav, Men-at-arms, Longsword, Supplies, Bloodlines, Arson), while “loosing” 1025 saved Gold in the Blacksmith in Imperial Age. Starting with +50 Stone could support a Tower Rush or makes 1 Tower + Town Center available. Maybe too much of a buff in total.
- Access to Genitour.
- Technologies researched 50% faster.
- Feitoria is available in Castle Age, costs 10 population space, is a gather point for all resources (each drop-off of resources generates 2 Gold and 2 Stone), works as a Market (can produce Trade Carts, research Market Technologies) and shoots arrows (Attack: 7, Range: 7, cannot be garrisoned).
Genitour for Portuguese might not be very strong, but nice to have. The technology research speed could be even faster to have a significant impact, finding the right number is difficult. Feitoria concept as a fortified market without passive ressource income makes it easier to play against it as villagers won’t be dropping off when under attack.
- New additional effect for Silk Road: Markets produce passively Gold (like a relic, up to 3) and the effect counts for allies as well.
- Elite Genoese Crossbowman Upgrade costs 700 Food and 500 Gold.
Silk Road has no effect in 1v1. Elite Upgrade is very expensive for what it does. However, the only motivation to change the UT is the overall idea to increase the usage of UT.
- Archers and Skirmishers have 25% more HP (20 before).
- Imperial Skirmisher 40 HP (35 before).
- New effect for Paper Money: Gives you and your allies access to one otherwise inaccessible technology in the tech tree (e.g., Blast Furnace, Parthian Tactics, Siege Onager, Siege Ram, Hussar, Paladin, Shipwright, Redemption). Can be researched normally for half the regular costs afterwards.
Same argument as for Italians: The idea is to have a UT that is useful in 1v1 as well. The Archer HP buff is small, but as said before, the balance is already good.
- Steppe Lancers gain an attack bonus of +4/+6 against villagers and trade units and +3/+5 against Siege Units.
- Steppe Lancer to Huns, Magyars and Turks (and maybe one of the Civs of the upcoming DLC).
Could define the role of Steppe Lancers a bit more. Right now they are outclassed by Knights and CavArchers and the SL Civs are good at them.
- New Unique Technology in Imperial Age: Kustanai (600 Gold / 400 Food): +4 Bonus damage vs. Archer units for Stable units.
- Build Time for additional Feudal Age Town Center reduced to 4:00 minutes (was 4:30)
Less Build Time makes their only eco bonus a little more useful for medium players. Kustainai would be a powerful late game option (maybe more expensive)
- New additional effect for Nomads Unique Technology: Lost Houses, Town Centers and Castles do not decrease population.
Just made no sense otherwise.
- All foot units +3 LOS (instead of only villagers; including monks, archers, etc.).
- Stone Mining Technology free.
- Free Town Patrol
These two are very uncreative, tbh. However, personally I like when an identity is preserved or strenghtened.
- Battle Elephant to Berbers, Indians and Persians.
- Scorpions: Bonus damage vs. War Elephants applies also to all Elephant Units (6/8). (Cavalry -15% Speed when hit by bolts (for 10 seconds).)
- Access to Genitour.
- Team Bonus changed to “Castles work 20% faster”.
- New Unique Tech effect in Castle Age for Kasbah: Military Buildings (except for Castles), 2x HP.
- No access to Masonry.
- New Effect for Mahouts: Speed increase reduced to 25%, but counts also for Battle Elephants.
- War Elephant speed 0.7 (was 0.6)
- New Effect for Flemish Revolution: Upgrades all existing non-farming Villagers to Flemish Militia
- Lose access to Conscription.
- New Effect for First Crusade: Stable, Archery Range and Barracks units production time halved.
- New Effect for Scutage (new cost: 800 Food and 500 Gold): Sicilian Units deal +1 bonus damage vs. gold units (and opponents’ units cost 10% more gold)
- New Effect for Madrasah (new cost: 600 Food, 300 Gold): Upgrades Monasteries to Madrasahs, which have a healing radius of 4 (1 HP every 2 seconds, can be stacked up to 3 Madrasahs)
- Mamelukes cost 55 Food, 75 Gold (was 85 Gold). Bonus damage vs. Cavalry (12) removed, instead +5 bonus damage vs. Infantry.
- Start with 2 free Lamas.
- Archers move 10% faster.
- New Teambonus: Farms built instantly.
2) and 3) can be switched, as people complain the current team bonus interferes with Build Orders in Team Games