Sorry, failed to connect to multiplayer services. Server certificate authentication failed

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: newest
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
Sorry, failed to connect to multiplayer services. Server certificate authentication failed.

Source : AccountLoginEvent
Error Code : 0xffffffff
Extended Code: 0xfffffff3

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

3 Likes

Same issue, this seems very frequent these days.

What worked for me is setting up my computer date 2 days behind so I put 15 of april instead of 18 of april and now it works after I restart the game.

their certificates expired so setting the date back makes the certificate still valid it seems

Nope, it crashes the game.

exactly what I though so that’s why I tried to set the date 2 days behind. Now it works

Try restarting the game

That’s what i did, but when i join a game it crashes.

I can’t even load AOE3:DE
“Unable to connect to online services, extended error. Please try again later.”

Also getting:
“You have lost network connectivity. Please check you internet connection and restart the game.”

Weird that I can post in an online forum with no network connectivity (rolls eyes)

Having the same exact issue. Played 4 multiplayer games last night. Now I’m unable to connect. Please advise.

i try that… it works… but i have to restart the game.

@Developers/Multiplayer Host: Please renew the certificate for AOE II https://aoe-api.reliclink.com/

Workaround: set your computer date / time to yesterday.

1 Like

I’ve submitted a bug to the developers
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 21.47.05

It should work now. Certificate has been renewed

2 Likes

Why do the renew for 1 year instead of 5 or 10?
Reall absurd

Working. Nice work, sir. Thanks for the submission.

It is a HTTPS certificate. Nowadays it is common to have an one year lifespan:
The idea here is that the shorter an SSL/TLS leaf certificate’s validity period, the more secure the certificate is.

During renewal the keys are updated to the latest security standards.

1 Like

Hi, i have the same certificate problem. I submitted request also, but i am wondering about how did you solved this problem ? Did the game devolopers sent you new certificates or what ?

Hello! I am having this problem in 2023. Can these certificates still be obtained?

Hello everyone! I also have this problem, is there a way to fix it?