Spain lacks its main unit

How can Spain not have the conquistador as their melee/ranged/mounted unit? They were the backbone of the Spanish military, the veterans of a brutal 700 years war. They should have a card that adds the conquistador , as melee/ranged cavalry and dismounted ranged unit.

26 Likes

Conquistador is in every way worse than the Dragoon, so not having it is better. Conqs are literally worse Dragoons, giving them to Spain would be a nerf.

That is not what the Conquistador unit is.

1 Like

well that’s because they only existed in the early colonial era. Early game they should be the best unit stat wise but becomes obsolete later on. Also the Jesuit Mission settlement only spawns in a few maps in a native structure not a spanish faction one.

They should be a faction exclusive unit to spain and maybe portugal. They conquered in the name of spanish crown. They should be a faction unique unit.

The way they were implemented does them no justice i believe

8 Likes

This is not how the game works.
The Conquistador already exists, it is part of the Jesuit Mission, and is literally there for civs that do not get Gunpowder Cavalry, and for those that want Ranged Cavalry in Colonial.

They are not going to make another unit with the same name. Now taht Spain has Cavalry Combat, the Dragoon is even a viable option for them.
Giving Spain the Conq, would just be a huge nerf.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. They could use the conquistador skin for some of the Spanish units to make them look like conquistadores. The Cuirass & Morion was pretty much the standard issue equipment for spanish soldiers. That’s why we see important figures in real life share many equipment aesthetics. Doing this adds authenticity in term of historic value for the faction. Because right now they do not look like the Iberian superpower we all know them to be in terms of looks.

7 Likes

As of right now the spanish faction feels like the Empire from Star wars with stormtroopers not using the white storm trooper armor… It feels lacking. which is why i say the its missing its main unit/s. Later eras look ok for them but in the early era they do not feel like spanish troops , excluding the explorer ofc. He looks perfect.

Also didn’t spain in AoE2 had the conquistador as their unique unit?

6 Likes

I always that the Rodelero was a conquistador kinda guy. Even the Lancer wears a conquistador helmet.

3 Likes

The rodelero has no cuirass in the first 2 ages that was common in the 1500’s somewhere in the 1600’s it became obsolete. The rodelero starts using the conquistador equipment to late in the imperial/industrial age which makes no sense. Same goes with the spanish lancer.

4 Likes

Technically, THE Conquistador is the Explorer, for ingame Spain. Even his upgrade card is called Conquistador.

Honestly, Spanish Dragoons are good now, and I see no need to remove a unit from the Jesuit Mission Minor Settlement, to give it altered to Spain. Spain already has a Unique Cavalry unit, anyway.

If anything, they should get an Unique Musketeer.

11 Likes

Yes that’s another good point. They need the iconic armored riflemen similar to the explorer to replace the musketeer. At least during the early era when steel armor was still used.

3 Likes

As you seem to be a bit of an expert, I’d love it if you were able to refer me to portraits or sources that describe accurate Spanish soldier gear of the time frame of interest.

2 Likes

It is not a Rifleman, it is a Musketeer. Rifles came into play when Cuirasses were already out (except when they came back in WW1 and WW2).

But Spain absolutely does not need another Cavalry unit, another version of the Dragoon, or a retooled Conquistador (which fits the Jesuit Mission very well).

1 Like

The Musketeer for Spain, should look like this.
They should called Mosquetero de la Manga (Sleeved Musketeer), be slower than others Musks, and have more HP.

It would actually be really good for Spain, now that they got good Ranged Cavalry support, while also providing a little nerf (slower Musketeers) sothat it is not just power creep.

11 Likes

The Spanish -- myArmoury.com this is one of the many sources of info based on the spanish. Also , I’m a Spaniard so i have been thought that for years. Can give you more if you need.

4 Likes

Yes i agree the musketeer should look like that.

5 Likes

They did screw up all the Iberians, and the the Germans, though.
USA get Magyar Hussars, but Germans that is supposed to cover both Austria and Prussia, do not have them, or Landswehr Fusiliers. Dutch have no Marinier Korps Musketeer, also.

This is what the Portuguese Explorer should look like, for example:

I mean, the one we got in the game, looks like a mangy cowboy in a dress:

And Spain gets Rodeleros, but Portugal does not get Adventurer Corps:

6 Likes

as currently is spain and portugal are both perfectly fine civs, 1 thing would be if they where a bad faction to change stuff about them but they are perfectly playable as is.

1 Like

I cannot agree. USA dropped in with an almost fully unique roster. I honestly think the European civs should have more Unique Units too.

6 Likes

personally i’d rather they spend the resources on new european civs :wink:

having a slow musketeer in a faction otherwise categorized as fast also just seems like a pretty bad change, also not all units of a faction only reflect 1 era, armored musketeers weren’t really a thing for most of the periode and before that many countries experimented with various levels of armor for the infantry.

2 Likes

Maybe the dev could change the mayan native cards to conquistador native cards and add the Conquistador homecity card " enables the explorer to train up to 5 conquistadors"

4 Likes