Spain lacks its main unit

All spanish units are technically conquistadors.

7 Likes

They could at least get a card that ships some conquistadors, i think the Aztecs have that so it’s a bit weird.

3 Likes

Yeah but they don’t look like conquistadores that’s the thing. :frowning:
That and they should have an easier way of getting the conquistador unit on all maps.

Imagine British faction without the longbowman 

5 Likes

It should not have the Longbowman, it is out of place.
Spain also really does not need the Conq, spcially when it is a vastly weaker unit than the one they actually have.
3 Dragoons will win againt 5 Conquistadores, for example.

2 Likes

Then they should get units that look like a conquistador that are better stat wise to compete.
Maybe reskin the spanish dragoon.
Use the lancer skin.

The upgrades are reverse, as they progress through the ages , units should lose armor pieces not gain more.

5 Likes

Yeah! Totally agree with this post.

PD: I hope if theyre make a new unit off a conqueror not mounted, similar to skirm.

5 Likes

They have those.
The Spanish Explorer, Lancer and Rodelero, all have the Morion and cuirass that people associate with the Conquistadores.

Dragoons do not need a skin. Redcoats and Legionarios also do not get one, neither do Voltigeurs or Needle Gunners.
If Royal Guard units o not even get a skin, then the Spanish Dragoon does not need one either.

What Spain needs, is a unique Musketeer.

Not how the game works, and Spain is not unique in this. Samurai and Doppelsoldners, for example, also gain MORE armour when upgrading.

2 Likes

I Agree with the musketeer. :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s the thing ,guns made armor irrelevant yet as guns got deadlier they slap on more armor on?
That doesn’t make sense in terms of logic. Your men get heavier and more vulnerable to a hard hitting evolving enemy.

1 Like

I need a line of conqueror infantry with arquebuis, not only one explorer.

Agree with the idea at spanish musks.

In reality Spain was never much good against European super powers. They were deadly vs Natives and that’s how they should be in my eyes. A counter faction to the native factions ,maybe against Africans too?

Longbows were used up to 16th century and were used even in one of the english civil war battle.

There is no civ-built “rock, paper, scisors” mechanic in the game.
Nor should there be.

No civ should be designed specifically to beat a group of civs.

2 Likes

I disagree. And I will be posting soon a thread with a few suggestions for Portugal at least.

Never good against European powers? Spain had complete military dominance in Europe for one and half centuries with the Tercio formations. They were the first European superpower of the Modern Era along with Portugal. Heck, they even divided the world between themselves.

3 Likes

If you want to go through a historical support, Reconquista is a very problematic term. The people that stopped the muslims were very different that the people that finally conquered Granada.

The image that you have of a ranged cavalry with a firearm and a morrion, it’s more a pop symbol introduced by Age of Empires II to represent the technology differences between them and the mesoamerican people (horse, steel, gunpowder), but they really fighted like that in America. Sorry, as you will know, Conquistador means someone who conquers thing, not a military unit.

Mounted Arquebusiers were a unit, not exclusive to them. If you want a symbolic unit that was still used on early european wars from Spanish, the unit to go would be the Genitor, until early XVI (as you can read on your source)

Yes, it could be added because the rule of cool with some shipment similar to Inca that allow to train native units, but I don’t think that would be really useful from gameplay perspective.

I’m spanish also

1 Like

No it is not.

No they were not.

2 Likes

But this isn’t the Reconquista , its the first face of European colonization in the americas this the first 2 ages of this game and granada might have been the last place to fall to spain but it wasn’t the only one.
Also the morion although like you say was added more by pop culture now a days it was still the most common head armor on the spanish military and maybe even other european forces back in the 1500;s to 1600’s.

The fall of the Spanish navy marked the end of Spain as a super power against Europe. Since mid 1600’s they have been losing fights even France defeated and conquered Spain once or twice. Spain was losing every major war. Even the colonies had chance of revolution which every single one won in the end. When spain fought its wars against colonial or european powers they lost many times , to many. Unlike Britain who still kept going on.

To be honest judging by the ages Spain should beat anyone in the first 2 ages but lose most of the time after those. But that wouldn’t be fun

Il just be happy with aesthetically correct and unique factions like Spain with their early like conquistador ways.

The Spanish Navy fell at the battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Until that point, Spain was still a European superpower. Not the strongest but still a superpower. Britain didn’t get into the game until the early 18th century, and didn’t become a major superpower until the Battle of Trafalgar.

4 Likes