Spain lacks its main unit

Someone needs to brush up on their history.
England lost the 100 years war btw, and a few failed invasions of Spain should be taken into account aswell like the famous counter armada of sir Francis drake. I’ll save you the trouble:

Spain was relevant into the 18th century.

6 Likes

Yes but it wasn’t the same as in the 1500’s that’s what I’m trying to say. After 1800’s Spain was never the same , even to this day. Not that it matters much. My focus is in 1500’s 1800’s which AoE3 takes place i think.

Yet the British never fell so low like the Spanish, that’s my point. to much debts, to much losses and little gain.

1 Like

They literally had civil wars and religious strife.
Drop that kool aid mate, that’s starting to sound more like propaganda and less historical facts.

British only got so far by pirating and stealing from the Spanish, and their good old allies the Portuguese including portulanos which opened their way to east and west indies.

Empires rise and fall. Persians, Macedonians, Roman’s, Mongols, Spanish, British. It’s the nature of the beast.

Best not to dwell on such matters and focus at the game at hand.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter how it happened … the thing is that it happened, the Spanish empire never got up after it fell. The British outsmarted them a bit. This is not propaganda. Now if the war between the British had happened in the 1500’s now the Spanish could have had a much better chance vs the British.

Hows the British Empire going these days?

Like I edited on my previous post, empires rise and fall.

They didnt outsmart anyone, and ended up falling like any other in the course of history.

It’s how the cookie crumbles.

1 Like

Although Spain always had infighting , that’s a division that kept them low. The Basque revolutions , the catalunians share the same, Castile was what held them all together since the beginning.

Yes your right but I’m talking about the 1800’s , i know they fell eventually just that they had a bit of saving grace. Spain didn’t. An example was the many civil strife that they have had all these years.

Specially from the basque. They have been the cause of infighting since the early 700’s in spain.

This is an oversimplification of things.
But I’m not versed that much on spanish history, so I will refrain speaking about political matters i do not know about.

Don’t know much about the British , most of what iv been taught was from the Spanish perspective.

The only thing that unified the spanish was the Moor’s invasion and later on the expansion to americas

In the 1800 England was on the height of their power.
That’s the difference.
They inherited a wonderfull set of circumstances from the 17th century onwards.

Their main rivals were exausted by wars, and unlike the British they did not live on an island, shielding them from warfare and human losses.

1 Like

Actually pretty well. As someone that lives in London, they have got it going well for them, in this country.

I lived 7 years in Spain, and the quality of life is just higher in Great Britain.
The crash of 2008 hit Spain like a truck. I know because I lived there, and remember there being absolutely no jobs, for young people, and a lot of employment volatility.

The entire Economy contracted a lot harder than the British Economy did.

1 Like

It’s much more than that: religion, language, origins, outside influences, cultures, land. Don’t oversimplify it.

2 Likes

Back to the topic at hand … Spain in the early age of this game should get a reskin on certain units so they look like the famous expeditions of conquistadors that went on during the century of exploration and colonization. Spain’s golden age which is featured in this game. Which is what I’m trying to say. It needs it’s Conquistadores!

Well still not an Empire, and it fared better.
I live in the UK aswell :wink:

I Don’t think it’s a good idea to touch all of those topics here but your right. Though Id like to avoid going too political in this forum. XD

1 Like

Most don’t, but age 3 pikemen and rodeleros do for the most part. I do wish early musketeers did look more like it thought.

2 Likes

Lancers do too.
All “armoured” units the Spanish have, eventually look like your typical pop-culture Conquistador.

But not the gun powder ones and i think maybe ranged cavalry should get armor too. They would not have survived the natives otherwise.

Not really. The conquistadors eschewed their metal armor in the early conquests because the native weapons weren’t able to cut through their arming doublets, and during the conquest of Mexico many conquistadors took to using Mesoamerican cotton armor over breastplates.

3 Likes