Spain

Spain has one of the richest cultures and is one of the most important countries in Europe and in the world during the 15th to the 19th century.
How can it be that it is not a base civilisation?
It would have some excellent campaigns, being able to include the Cid, the reconquest of the peninsula against the Arabs, the discovery of America, the control of America (from the Argentinean Patagonia to Alaska), the battle of Lepanto, the European wars with the control of the Netherlands and Italy (called the Spanish way), the war of independence of Cuba and the Philippines with the USA, the Spanish help to the independence of the USA from the English, the Napoleonic occupation of Spain, the war of Spanish succession…

I repeat, it is unbelievable that such an important country in history is not included.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

7 Likes

Well you can fight with spain and usa with 19th century units in Aoe3. I don’t think aoe4 goes that late.

9 Likes

Spanish are in AoEII.

Santiago!!!

5 Likes

Its obvious that they are not included because of future south American DLC.

9 Likes

You have the whole of the Reconquista from the 8th century to the end of the 15th century, showing how the different kingdoms were finally reunited to form what is known today as Spain.
El Cid, the battle of Navas de Tolosa, Don Pelayo…
There is enough history for several campaigns

1 Like

Most likely, but they could have already put spain as a base civilisation in the game and then added america.

2 Likes

Thing is if you have 2 3 civs in one DLC. They would have to add more American civs if they included Spain in base game which would be hard and unnecessary. Plus I expect big American campaign for Spain as DLC.

2 Likes

Spain and Byzantine are both important and should be in base game.

3 Likes

If such civs were part of the Deluxe Edition then buying it would make any sense.

1 Like

I think the Byzantine civ would come along with the Ottoman civ and some other civ - Italy? Hungary? Bulgaria? or maybe Persia?

Spain would come with the Mesoamerican and Andean civ.

Additionally, Portugal civ would open the way for Morocco civ and Songhai civ.

3 Likes

Spanish inquisition didn’t hunt no witches in time frame of the game.

1 Like

The Spanish are a great choice. My only quibble is that they are not necessary for them to exist for American civs (Aztec, Inca, etc.) to exist.

I looked this up and it turns out that there were two entire continents on one side of the ocean with empires as vast and spectacular as those in Europe and Asia that actually existed without having to first meet anyone else.

Perhaps the Spanish should have been chosen in the first 8 civs. But as we round the corner for civs 9 and 10 without many of the largest empires on the planet, the game does not yet need a 5th civ from Europe.

7 Likes

I’d like to see a more medieval spanish civ as even in AOE2 it felt very focused on the later New World stuff with conquisadores. What kind of unique units would people like to see from Spain?

3 Likes

How spain important civ in medieval area?

2 Likes

The Reconquista, and El Cid (which is the Spanish campaign in aoe 2).
Reconquista is something that sveral people consider a crusade, also they were famous for their light cavalry to fend off Berbers.
If we are going to get the 100 years war and Rise of Moscow, then a future Spanish civ with the Reconquista campaign really fits

2 Likes

France was a way more important than spain in middle age. I mean, you wrote “spain and byzantine” it’s like a mouse and an elephant. Spain wasn’t a big nation in middle age and there are already 4 european civ (wich is already to much because europe wasn’t a realy predominant in middle age)

2 Likes

I didn’t write that
Back on topic, why needs a nation to be a big nation to be relevant? Italy wasn’t even big at middle ages yet very influential people for centuries.
Also if you check Rus, well they weren’t even united most of the time at middle ages.

1 Like

Most probably would come in a New World Conquest themed DLC along with aztec and so. But for vanilla AoE IV it wouldn’t make that much sense, since during most (if not all) of the middle ages, Spain were divided into kingdoms as León, Castilla or Aragón.

Spanish were more important after prime middle ages, so expect them if that hypothetical DLC comes out.

Do you all play the campaigns in these games over and over again? I have almost no use for single player campaigns in Age games. They always felt like narrated tutorials to me and that the real game was skirmish and PvP. If concerns about real historical interaction in campaigns are holding back the game from having vibrant and cool civs, then I would get rid of the campaigns rather than get rid of the civs.

But meanwhile, of course there could be campaigns set in parts of the world that did not interact with other civs. The AI can use the same units and buildings as the player’s civ. This happens all the time.

2 Likes

I would put the knights of the order of santiago

The Almogavares

And perhaps too much later, but the Tercios of Flandes

2 Likes