Speculation: "Age of Empires 4 : World War II"

The modern times are the wrong setting, although it would be chronologically logical. With WW1 fighting has changed to scouting, airplanes and soldiers in Squads instead of big armies. There are good RTS implementing mechanics for this kind of warfare and AoE4 shouldn’t try to adopt them just because they want to be placed in modern times.
On the other hand it’s hard to have modern times without this mechanics. For example: How should hundred simple soldiers kill a tank without having alternative attacks like grenades or bazookas?

So I really hope they locate it before WW1 combining a new setting with the mechanics we love AoE for <3

Prehistorical times would be cool :slight_smile:

You mean like The Neanderthals? :wink:

Why not^^ was a funny idea.
I’d be cool with any other time before WW1 but this would be something really new for RTS. Maybe it wouldn’t work, but maybe it would

Hi,

First of all great topic and post! Secondly I don’t think I want to see a world war II time period in a Age of Empire game, because to me it’s always been about Ancient time’s & Medieval area and changing this would feel so weird to me. Besides we already have a bunch of RTS games which take place in world war II and I miss the other time periods.

But if we were to get an Age of Empire’s game set in World war II, I’d like to see far more countries at launch or added over time, that actually did stuff in World war II, countries that almost never get some attention whom I think they should because they contributed to things in the war.

One example would be Greece for such a small country, they managed to destroy the Italian army led by Mussolini (Greco-italian war) and stop his “New Roman Empire” mind set & also managed to interrupt the Germans by two months before they finally conquered the island of Crete and the Greeks gave up.

The Germans wanted to control Greece because of good view over the Aegean sea which would allow Germany to detect and control far more for their purpose.

This of course forced Germany to change their plans for attacking Russia, so this also gave Russia time to prepare for incoming attack from Germany.

I know we can’t get all of the countries involved of course but I think it’s time they at least tried to give people a bigger picture of what actually happened in WW2 other than the big countries like Japan, America, Russia & Germany.

I really hope that it happens!

Been thinking a little more on the whole “what era AOE 4 will go into” thing. Ultimately, I don’t think it will matter all -too- much what era it goes into, even if it’s WW2, with the caveat that the theme of the game not be the second world war itself. Which is to say, reflect the technologies and military units of the time, but don’t make the game a “WW2 game” any more than AOE 2 was specifically a game about the Hundred Years War, the Scottish rebellions or Joan of Arc (beyond it’s campaigns, which were never the core focus of the game).