Standardizing the names of hero units?

Now this is only a silly proposal and just for fun:
In vanilla AOE3 the heroes function more as an early scout and fit the theme of “exploring the new world as a group of European settlers”.
But since TWC the heroes for new civ groups are always “faction/military leaders” like chief, general, emir, etc., the monk is an odd one though.

And with a whole circus of different skins right now the theme is even more diminished. Who would still think of the explorer/monk identity if you are using William the Silent or kunoichi.

So my main problems with the names “explorer” and “monk” are:

1. They are less of a “leader” role than other heroes
  2. They are too specific. A faction/army leader could be or dress like a monk (like several Japanese feudal lords) but a monk is a monk. And when you use skins like Captain Huang Jian or kunoichi, it could still be a faction/army leader but not a monk anymore. On the other hand most of the explorer models are just some typical folk dressing of the civ and could fit any other identities like lord or governor besides the explorer.
  3. They do not fit the current theme very well since TAD because the theme has been greatly expanded from “exploration and colonization of the Americas”.

What about changing the name of the explorer/monk into lord/governor, etc. or any better name one can come up with (and still keep the original explorer/monk model as one of the skins) so they are more consistent with the rest?

2 Likes

The monk theme is garbage but explorers are perfectly fine. You literally use them to explore the map and search for treasure. And there are also Generals for the Americans and Mexicans that would muddle having a more generic European hero.

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s a fair few of us who find Monks a bit out of place.

I would add that Explorer is fine (though I’d rather like an upgrade in later ages to turn them into a more combat supportive Officer). Having a Governor running around would be a little odd as they generally just stayed in the Governor Houses hiring people to do the legwork of exploring/establishing camps.

1 Like

But we already have ras (prince) and emir…anyway governor is just an example and I would welcome better names.

Officer is a good one if US/Mexicans do not have the “general”.

Eliminating the General altogether would be a good way to go. I absolutely loathe the stupid “inspiring flag” gimmick. USA had explorers like Lewis and Clark and Padres are good enough as the Mexican hero.

But I still don’t see the need for getting rid of Explorers. The leaders of colonies were generally explorers. Samuel de Champlain is a good example of this.

1 Like

Yeah i know is to suggest rework Mexico United States’s general Add skills for telescope reconnaissance, mount and dismount mechanism, and launch a charge. Only after all units have their own attack aura, can they become real generals. In addition, add 4 unique skills and 1 unique energy for all European explorers to become generals from their home city cards to military commanders. As the military uniforms change with the time for Regional, weapons are randomized
图片
图片
图片
图片

Just remove monks. Replace them with military leaders like most other civs’.

2 Likes

Vale hagamos el juego más estandar y aburrido yupi

1 Like

I suggest you read what I wrote…

no me refiero a ti directamente, sino algunos que basicamente quieren hacer a todos los exploradores iguales

Are you talking to people who don’t want stereotypical monks leading armies?

Hablo de la gente que quiere que las unidades exploradoras sean iguales y sin habilidades unicas, y no me vengas con los estereotipos que literalmente facciones como España o rusia en este juego son basicamente estereotipos.

The Explorer fits the theme fine. You’re playing as a colony of your home country, commanded by the Explorer. The random names are taken from the names of famous real-life explorers, who were often navy captains or in similar military leadership positions.

But I agree that I don’t like the monks. It comes across as a lazy cultural stereotype that doesn’t fit the theme. The Chinese, in particular, could have an Explorer just like the Europeans.

1 Like

I think the idea is that (asian) monks are very much prone to travel, wander and explore. I don’t know if the current ingame asian monks specifically share this characteristic.

2 Likes

Not so much than Western missionaries.

Whatever happened to not remove things already added in games, people can learn specific names, adding generic names is sin etc etc.

If our hyper competeteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve gigachad, who necros an 1 year old thread just to pick on another irrelevant 6 months old topic, ever read the OP for 1 minute once he will find the reason why I say the names are too specific is because THEY DO NOT FIT THE ROLE not because “some APM 10000 IQ 300 ELO 3000 competeteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve gigachad who always ask others to gitgud cannot remember them in his lifetime”.

It might be a surprise to you APM 10000 IQ 300 ELO 3000 competeteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve gigachads that some people want to change the game to make it more interesting and coherent, not for some APM 10000 IQ 300 ELO 3000 competeteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve gigachad to repeat their APM 10000 IQ 300 ELO 3000 moves 100 times a day. Maybe because you have been living on the competeteeeeeeeeeve planet for too long, you forgot about how normal human beings play games, and that not everything done in games is to serve you competeteeeeeeeeeve gigachads.

I have been waiting for years for the proof of the competeteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve players that pop out on this forum are worth communicating with but was never given the chance.

EDIT:
“Specific” in OP obviously means “narrow”, in terms of the roles of those names, instead of “different and unique”.
And obviously I did not say a word about removing anything unique, or turning everything into the same name so that your big competeteeeeeve brain can finally remember.

But your big competeteeeeve brain has been soaked in the competeteeeeve environment for so long, or you are so eager going on your competeteeeeeve crusade that you forgot how to read normal human language.

Nah the flag is great

1. balance exists for a reason
  2. the monk heroes are seriously dumb. Replace them.

And while we’re at it, remove the community plaza. The mechanics don’t fit the game.

He wasn’t the one to revive the thread though.

You can remove the flag without removing the general, and I’d rather not have the Padre as the sole Mexican hero when I’m already complaining about Monk heroes.

A few months ago in another thread, this guy asked for the removal of the unique unit and card names he cannot remember because they are harmful for his competitive play. I said those names are trivial to remember (and you don’t have to) and shouldn’t be removed.

So he now comes to this thread to pick on me because (he thinks) I am also asking for the removal of unique stuff from the game, while I clearly said I want those names to change simply because they don’t fit.