Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Definitive Edition

I’m behind this. But I can’t imagine Microsoft getting a deal with Lucas Arts and Disney to make it happen.
Unless we keep buying AoE2 DE DLC’s and prove there’s support

1 Like

As a matter of fact the devs did ask about swgb and got told no.

While it would be almost impossible to get a new licence for a star wars game like this, do they really need to?

The game is still being sold in the steam store right now. How about just giving it a huge “HD Update” and bumping up the price?

I bought it a few years back but it was a little buggy and I couldn’t get it to work over LAN to play with my friends. I think it would be really cool (and wouldn’t require much work) if they could apply the same things they did for AoE2 HD to this game.

again that would be up to the mouse.

1 Like

Is there a source? I haven’t found anything.

nothing definitive or recent.

got told no by whom?

I mean its not realy two seperate once at all. SW GB is basically just a mod for AoE2 and nothing else would be a DE version of the game. It is build upon AGE software and as much AoE2 as it is Star Wars ^^

Iirc from my days at the SW GB forums and AoEHeaven as well as talks with other SW GB moders, the license for the game is shared and kinda complicated.

So from my old knowledge (8ish years) LucaArts owns a share, Disney owns SW as well as LA so hold that basically. Ensemble did hold a share (went to MS after closeing it) as well as individuel Devs from Ensemble/LA as well as Aspyr for making the Mac Port back then. But i think later only own the right for Mac iirc.

The more I think about it, the more I really want GB DE.

I’m absolutely one of the people who feels like the original always came across more as a total conversion than a stand alone game. Yet even so, I admit that it was pretty neat, and would only improve with a DE update. Especially if it adds in the more advanced unit controls and stuff.

From the Expanding Fronts team (they released the 1.4.2 patch a few days ago), extracted from the FAQ on their discord:

Will there ever be a Definitive Edition version of the game?

This is a highly unrealistic expectation. First of all, STAR WARS Galactic Battlegrounds exists because LucasArts (since closed down) licensed the genie engine (of Age of Empires 2) from Ensemble Studios (also shut down) shortly before Ensemble was purchased by Microsoft. It’s a common misconception that SWGB was made by Ensemble/Microsoft, but this is not true. Microsoft had nothing to do with SWGB. As part of the license deal, Ensemble sent one guy to teach the LucasArts developers how to use their engine.

For a SWGB Definitive Edition to happen, Microsoft, who now owns the rights to the genie engine, would have to make a deal with LucasFilm Games (now owned by Disney) to remake the game with the AoE2 Definitive Edition genie engine and re-implement all the GB specific features like power cores, shields, aircraft, etc. Or even less likely, LucasFilm Games may (or may not) have the rights to do their own Definitive Edition, but they would have to build on top of the current SWGB:CC and do all the improvements themselves and undoubtedly without any help this time in understanding the engine. SWGB wasn’t exactly the most popular of Star Wars games and the RTS genre isn’t exactly the most popular of genres, so the likelihood of LucasFilm Games choosing to give it the remake treatment over other games is very low.

5 Likes

UP… we need send this idea to Lucas Art commercial dep.

1 Like

By power it can be done, but it would require approval from Disney and readjusting the game to the current canon…

1 Like

I dont know if is true, but in another topic some people say Disney dont want a SWBG DE. Sad…

What a pity… that game and RoN would be the only RTS games from Microsoft that would lack a DE version…

If they would make a Star Wars DLC for Age of Empires 2 DE in the same way they made Return of Rome I would buy it even if there are no civs added to AoE2 DE.

Improbable…you still need the Disney aprove…

Why wouldn’t they? They could make a deal where Disney does nothing and still gets 20% of the cut from the DLC. It’s free money.

1 Like

Good point…Disney loves money too much…

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/kwq7rt/the_aoe2_de_team_should_remaster_star_wars/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

What is the point to a link of a 2 years reddit post?