State of AoMR

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how close to completion this remake is? I’ll start with 80%

Tough question. Someone from the staff team mentioned on Discord that work on Retold started around the time the announcement trailer was released and estimated 2 yrs as the development time… so 70-80% doesn’t sound too far off.

I guess we’ll see more on Friday.

My guess is that they plan to release in on October.
If they actually make it is another question.

Unfortunately I won’t be at home to watch the stream on Friday.

Iirc the first couple of Closed Beta tests for AoE 3 took place in February/March 2020, so maybe they go a similar route with AoMR

Before seeing the wording they’ve used for the friday event announcment, I was betting hard on the game releasing around October this year. But the way they have phrased the Age of Mythology Retold part makes me think it’s still halfway in development.

“Showing how they are developing it” or “unveiling a few mythological creatures” doesn’t sound as the big reveal it should get on its release year at all. Yet, certainly we are still several months away from the (most probably) planned release window, so who knows. We’ll see on friday.

2 Likes

That would only make sense if the scope of the game was bigger then we think.
It should be very possible to remaster a game within 2 years, especially if you have already updated the engine for another game already.
And that is assuming they only started development when they announced it. Very unlikely that they have done nothing before the reveal in October 2022.

And even if the game released in October it is very possible that they don’t want to show real gameplay yet.
We will hopefully know a lot more by the end of this week.

I recall there being a sudden surge in job openings on their website the summer prior to the Retold release, around May/June of that year. So they had a solid few months before they announced it.

I would be surprised if it came out this year.

1 Like

Don’t worry Skadidesu we will watch it for you. :stuck_out_tongue: (i hope this one wasn’t too cruel xD)

Back to topic: I personally agree with some here that we should stay calm and be not too optimistic about a release this year even tho it would be really awesome of course.

But I personally think it’s really a bigger/more drastic remaster than the other ones.

I honestly really think we get some new powers/power rework, some overhauled/new myth creatures. And of course improved naval battles and also way more improved air movement and battles. I am no game dev but i bet this takes time for sure.

I also twittered and wrote I would be happy to see some concept stuff maybe some models and those models maybe in movement. (plus possibly alpha screenshots at best) and they liked my comment. Soooooooo i think it’s relative safe to assume that we get no 80% or more finished version to see on Friday.

I mean there is still nearly a full year till October this year (well more or less) maybe they really get things done till then.
I mean look at another RTS game which gets in early access end of March and got developed primarily by just 2 guys. So even the team is relative small for AoMRetold if they are similar or even more talented they just need a couple more ppl than 2 to get most of the work done. Very positive about that.

Let’s stay optimistic but don’t get too unrealistic.

No worries, I’ll just watch it when I’m back home on Saturday.

I agree somewhat. They purposely did not choose to call it Definitive Edition and they also promised a big Chinese rework. That’s 20% of the civilisations after all.

Didn’t day say something about wanting to make all godpowers reusable in some way, likely for a Favour cost.

One time use things are always annoying in video games because you kinda want to save it up forever.

1 Like

Yes, in September-October we will surely have it…

You can still see it on your phone…

october now seems EXTREMELY reasonable since we now get official confirmation we get it this year. HOLY MOLY. didn’t think that would be real.

but even i love the design directions so much i REALLY hope they take the time to improve and maybe at best change a few things here and there. nothing crazy for me personally just… look at fenris now. he looks like a propper badass fenris now, how he should have looked. just amazing. minotaur looks way way way better now too. totally massive and menacing. i hope we see a similar change to hydra and sizewise to jormungandr. (please, i beg you guys <3)

a part of me hoped we see empusa for hekate instead of lampades cause it would fit her so much better but thats a compromise i can easily take if we get a new look for hydra and jormungandr :stuck_out_tongue: )

also i agree @Skadidesu if you have a mobile phone and won’t be in the woods, you can still watch it on your mobile phone. but you can also watch it tomorrow of course. i just can tell you we got more to look at than some of us expected. and i think it looks really great ingame graphic wise. (god artstyle is a hit and miss i think and we still need to see animations and hear sounds)

Relic is not found, so I will not waste time demanding my standards in hotkeys
imagen

2 Likes

It was quite clear from the beginning that Relic won’t develop AoM:R since they are unfamiliar with the Engine the game uses.

Hotkeys will be most likely grid-based, which is the case in all AoE DEs as well as AoE 4.

1 Like

It’s not just the grid, it’s the double press option (x2), camera hotkeys, key combination with alt, supporting hotkey duplication, etc.

Tbh those don’t sound too be unlikely to implement given AoE 3 DE has those and AoMR will use the engine of that game.

1 Like

“Relic not found”

3 Likes

Age of Mythology: Retold’s developers are going ‘way beyond’ the definitive editions for Age of Empires: ‘We want to build the game in your head’ | PC Gamer

this article contains more details about the game, like how god powers are now on cooldown instead of limited use and myth units’ abilities are now user controlled…

(it would be nice if someone made a thread about this article so people can discuss it, im not allowed to do that because im not very active here)

5 Likes

Interesting read. Thanks for that. Can’t wait to finally try it out. Have been playing AoM on and off for most of my life. I just need for Arkantos to awaken once more. After what Blizzard did to Warcraft, I am praying to our Microsoft overlords to not f this one up.

2 Likes

oh dont remind me of blizzshait and their reforged failure. i feel you. but since we know now more about that company failure fits them better and better. - unfortunately.

studios and game like Ensemble Studios and AoM are WAY better on a professional, talented and human level.

1 Like