Steppe riders and Iron Flail needs some base damage buff

All these mentions of Gendarme spamming. There is a reason competitive games rarely go into Age 4 and never Age 5. If you let your opponent sit back, boom, go Age 5 to spam fully upgraded units, you’ve forgone many opportunities to win the game .

Standard Army hitpoint become combat
Add Ming Army Combat

steppe rider hitboxes haves some pretty strange effects on the unit that people often don’t notice, they can path between buildings and stack on each other more easily, allowing for much easier raiding. They can also path around enemy skirm formations much more easily so they are actually more likely to hit and snare.

also you don’t need damage to snare, you just need to hit and to do that you need speed which they have and as with all chinese units you need mass before you fight. they have low base stats for individual units but they only cost one pop each so you always want to count their numbers differently, like even if you are fighting 5 goons, you will need 10 of them atleast.

Industrial and imperial ages are supposed to be tie breaker ages. The power spikes become very high in either of those, and allows you to completely dominate lower age opponents.

But gendarmes spam isn’t what it used to be now that training time was nerfed. Dragoon spam can essentially block a french doing gendarmes spam,even vs imperial gendarmes.

You mean the dragoon unit that China basically lacks? (Im not counting the russian army since they cost so much export and you are stuck with culvs).

Best way to fix China is letting them train Manchu and Iron troops, restricted to the monastery, once you’ve sent the “atonement” card and allow them to shadow tech.

1 Like

Keshiks are pretty good units once you mass them like ryuters. They have 1.5 ROF and x4 against hand cav after mongolian scourge. The only problem with them is that they are hard to mass up and requires vet upgrades in age 3.

Fully upgraded pop for pop keshik deals more damage then a port dragoon

As you pointed out, the thing is massing them… that comparison is just in theory. Allowing China to recruit the units I mentioned would aid in balancing up the scales, while still keeping China’s identity, because they can only be trained from one building and slowly so.

I don’t think there should be any buffs until they nerf their resistance. They already have 0.51 ranged resistance.

I think the 2 mers should be trained at castles. Their prices prevents them from getting msssed.

If the player had enough gold to spam them, then they should be allowed to.

i think china just need a arquebusier-keshik banner army. that’s a pretty useful composition.

I think the game needs balance tweaking to make Goon Skirm less powerful instead of giving it to more civilisations.

After all, a unit is only worth 85 gold.
The unit’s narrative stated that it is good at attacking villagers and buildings, but in this case only after using cards. I think that without using any cards, Should pose a threat to villagers and buildings, and the threat is even greater after using the card

1 Like

This is a good argument. With 15 base damage and only 150 base HP its, terrible against anything thats not a skirmisher or an Archer. In fact, a Steppe rider loses a straight up 1v1 battle against a settler with grey coats, while costing 85 coin vs 100 food. If a unit needs cards to be usable, then the unit is weak and needs a buff or needs some of the card upgrades incorporated into its design.

The unit is a threat to buildings since it has higher siege then a hussar in age 2 and only 5 less then a qiang pikeman.

Maybe on the vil front give it a x1.25 or 1.5 bonus against vil as a start and then buff it to the current 2 after the card.

You do have to balance the numbers well cause you dont want to 7 steppe rider shipment to turn into a group that can one shot vils immediately

its 41 range resist. 51 would be ridiculous

One StepperRider is 85Gold.Two StepperRiders are 170Gold ≈One Hussar
Let me look:150HP,15Damage ×2 is 300HP,30Damage.I think weakly against cavalry
I think Stepper Damage become 20.1.5X against Infantry.HP become 175

1 Like

Steppe riders 13th attack can kill villagers.
Hussars 7th attack can kill villagers.
If you increase the Steppe rider attack to 18 and give x1.25 damage on the villagers.
Steppe riders 9th attack can kill villagers.
If you use card, you can achieve Steppe riders 6th attack can kill villagers.
Only x1.2 damage to villagers. use card the 7th attack can kill the villagers. Same as Hussars.

1 Like

stepperider have more resist and a bonus against skirmishers, which hussars dont.

It doesn’t matter that this unit is a threat to buildings. Hussars beat Steppes easily. Hussars can raid aswell. If your opponent attacks with Hussars and Muskets, China is crewed because half of the standard army is doing terribly.

Steppe Riders are not good enough without cards. The unit is weak and it needs a buff. Flamethrowers are also terrible. The devs wanted to buff China and allow for more Age 2 play. But just giving them a small buff to standard army hitpoins is not enough. The New Army card is complete trash and not worth sending.

The devs need to buff Flamethrowers first and foremost and consider buffing Steppe Attack damage just a little while adjusting the multipliers. And add a 2 Flamethrower shipment. Then Age 2 China might be a thing.

If those were the stats, Steppe would actually be less effective against skirms, dealing 5 less damage while dealing 5 more damage to cav and only 4 more damage to musks, tbh I dont think that its worth it.

Not to mention with those stats they would be much just objectively stronger and cheaper then units like chimmu runners and coyotes in basically every way and unless we either buff them (coyote could use a buff) it does run the risk of making them OP.