SUPPORT FOR GAME IS DEAD - Devs delete Beta discord in response to question about updates

Add a ■■■■■■■ rating system for God’s sake. Jesus Christ, are you guys trying to make this game dead yourselves?

@PCS70 said:
@Marra333 As far as I know they did not promise a rating system. Please show me a link where it is stated that AOE DE will include a rating system.

There was a rating system in the beta, which makes it’s exclusion in the finished game even more baffling.

They have shot themselves in the foot with this edition, no doubt about it, but I’m enjoying it and that is all that matters :slight_smile:

@MonkANDPetard said:
Add a **** rating system for God’s sake. Jesus Christ, are you guys trying to make this game dead yourselves?

No.

@PCS70 ppl who dont want fair and competitve games should just shut up.

@“teutonic tanks” said:

I want the same so I keep talking. :slight_smile:

What’s sad is you can’t refund your game if you played a few hours. Very disappointed for sure.

@“teutonic tanks” said:

Why? @“teutonic tanks”
@rhrmn what we must to do?

That was a BETA Discord, and the Beta is over…

(Your complaints are valid, I just felt someone had to say it)

@“teutonic tanks” Besides the fact that input from casual players are just as valuable to developers as those of pro players, I don’t see a rating system make this game better, more fair or more competitive. You need much more players for that btw and a game that is able to run decently on a very broad range of hardware.

@Augustusman said:

@“teutonic tanks” said:

Why? @“teutonic tanks”
@rhrmn what we must to do?

Contribute to the discussion in a respectful manner.

@PCS70 said:
@“teutonic tanks” Besides the fact that input from casual players are just as valuable to developers as those of pro players, I don’t see a rating system make this game better, more fair or more competitive. You need much more players for that btw and a game that is able to run decently on a very broad range of hardware.

Some guys needs ranks, is like a medal for them. Casuals or guys like me don’t mind some kind numbers, because isn’t real thing you know. I only want to play, relax meet funny people.

This Augustusman guy is the best example why you need ratings. Nothing wrong with ppl that want to play no rush farmville ingame, but sadly it’s impossible to distinguish them from the ones that actually know how to keep your TC not idle, make useful military, upgrade units and not go afk ingame. All things you probably never heard about.

@“teutonic tanks”
This works both ways of course. Easy wins are no fun to competitive players, but @Augustusman might skip MP completely because the much too competitive bunch of tool age rushers, and losing all the time while being insulted on your skills is not very pleasing at all too (unless you are a masochist). :slight_smile:

I think there is a better and easier solution instead of using complex rating systems which will be abused (again) and so needs adjustment all the time. Just create two multiplayer sections (tabs), one for competitive and another for regular MP or a competitive checkmark. Players can then be expected to behave accordingly.

Also the game has some kind of rating system already. All game stats are saved in the cloud. But it would not be useful to able hosts to kick players just looking at their stats, then you should host private and work with invites.

To my opinion it would be stupid to not play MP or call it useless just because it doesn’t have a rating system. No means to offend you with that. That’s why I decided to explain my point of view better.

About fairness. Even if you are a very skilled player who knows very well how to play this game, if you have to play this game on low budget or old hardware, you will loose against any average player without keyboard skills but who is able to boom out faster due to better hardware and so much smoother performance.

A lot of posts have a very negative bias (like this whole thread), but there’s much more involved on the background with even the slightest changes that people could imagine.

So back to the discussion. Would a rating system really make this game a better game?

I don’t think so at the moment looking at the whole picture of this release.

@PCS70 said:
@“teutonic tanks”
This works both ways of course. Easy wins are no fun to competitive players, but @Augustusman might skip MP completely because the much too competitive bunch of tool age rushers, and losing all the time while being insulted on your skills is not very pleasing at all too (unless you are a masochist). :slight_smile:

I think there is a better and easier solution instead of using complex rating systems which will be abused (again) and so needs adjustment all the time. Just create two multiplayer sections (tabs), one for competitive and another for regular MP or a competitive checkmark. Players can then be expected to behave accordingly.

Also the game has some kind of rating system already. All game stats are saved in the cloud. But it would not be useful to able hosts to kick players just looking at their stats, then you should host private and work with invites.

To my opinion it would be stupid to not play MP or call it useless just because it doesn’t have a rating system. No means to offend you with that. That’s why I decided to explain my point of view better.

About fairness. Even if you are a very skilled player who knows very well how to play this game, if you have to play this game on low budget or old hardware, you will loose against any average player without keyboard skills but who is able to boom out faster due to better hardware and so much smoother performance.

A lot of posts have a very negative bias (like this whole thread), but there’s much more involved on the background with even the slightest changes that people could imagine.

So back to the discussion. Would a rating system really make this game a better game?

I don’t think so at the moment looking at the whole picture of this release.

The simple solution is just to bring back the ELO as there was one in the beta. As I have mentioned elsewhere, on AOK Steam they include players of all ability by just forming the teams around the ELO’s so you might get a 1400 a 1600 and a 1700 teamed versus a 1300 and two 1650’s. What will kill the community is a known/unknown vibe not a rating system per se.

Also hardware doesn’t make much, if any, difference as its based on netspeed and if you are lagging the enemy is lagging too, its not like an FPS where a higher ping gives a quicker response rate meaningfully determining who fires first.

"Also the game has some kind of rating system already. "

Drunk or what? If you call this a ratingsystem, then you have zero clue how a real rating system looks like. All i want is a simply number that at least slightly displays how good/bad someone is, i dont even ask for fancy ratings systems like eg Voobly has. Just a simple number. I dont want to alt tab all the time and check broken stats, that mostly display drop-wins. But hey it’s 2018, seems like stuff that already exists for 10-20 years isn’t possible anymore. There would be dozends of additional players from voobly, if there would be rating system, but sadly there isnt and probalby will never be.

Well at least i will warn everyone to not buy any incoming DEs to waste their money for bad customer support and a semi finished game. That’s something.

enjoy your farmville game fellas, i’m off.

@“Mystic Taboo” That ELO thing must have been during the first beta wave. I came in rather late.

Rating systems are useful with matchmaking mechanisms if there are a lot of players online at the same time, I don’t think this is the case yet with AOE DE. Other thing with rating systems like e.g. ESOC is that people can and will fake their games to get to that streak or wins just to get higher up that ladder.

Networking speed is important too and I thought about mentioning that, but I have monitored AOE DE’s traffic and it’s actually very low and efficiently working peer to peer traffic.

This release is a 4K remake where the total content exceeds 25 GB compared to a CD-ROM of 640 MB of the AOE I original with RoR expansion. Looking at all the problems some people still have with getting this game to run at all I would say that the right hardware specifications are leading. I notice big differences in playing with lower pop caps and higher ones, so an i9 with 20+ cores and 64 GB with GeForce 1070 and at least two 4K screens would be very welcome to keep my CMK skills up-to-date.

The method I described together with matchmaking and rating system works very well for a lot of games. Especially if people can report abuse. I did not invent it, games like DOTA use it the same way too.

So I’m not against rating systems if voluntary and activated at the moment playing competitive mode and if they are designed with thought.

Called it, would like my money returned.

@“teutonic tanks” Still not enough players. But you are probably right about they have abandoned working on it as the stats page doesn’t work anymore. I agree with you they should continue their works on some kind of rating system. Also I can understand that you are disappointed about the lack of it, but still it doesn’t make MP functionality of this game completely useless or not fair.

@“teutonic tanks” said:
This Augustusman guy is the best example why you need ratings. Nothing wrong with ppl that want to play no rush farmville ingame, but sadly it’s impossible to distinguish them from the ones that actually know how to keep your TC not idle, make useful military, upgrade units and not go afk ingame. All things you probably never heard about.

You need fill some needs, lol. No real sport trophies ?

@Exemplis said:
Called it, would like my money returned.

Use your money in more wise ways. Don’t stress so much.