Swedes don't have a consulate option for Asian civs like the rest

I just noticed that all European civs have a consulate version for asian civs, except for Sweden. I think it was probably a design oversight.

I don’t have a full plan, but I think it would be interesting to see them have mercenary buffs or unit options if you do implement them. This could particularly fare well with China, giving them access to consulate black riders or something.

Edit: Turns out there’s even historical accuracy to my proposal! The Swedish East India Company had relationships since the 17th Century with China specially and India. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_East_India_Company

Edit 2: I do have a proposal now. Passive being linked to gold collection, with the following armies (considering pop equivalency to other consulate options):

1. 6 caroleans 2) 4 black riders + 1 leather canon 3) 7 hakkapelit + 4 leather canons

Shipments:

1. Ships a coin mine 2) Allows recruitment of either black rider or fusilier 3) Advanced arsenal upgrades available or if its too OP, infantry breast plate or military drummers. 4) Age V unit shipment> 22 Imperial Dalkarl pikes and 10 jaeger.
12 Likes

Interesting read. A Chinese option to ally with Sweden could be based. India and Japan however should not have this option since it has not backing.

It doesn’t seem like Sweden was as involved as much ssthe other powers. Only thing they did was trade. Not like Britons or France taking over land.

Passive, estates collect 12% more gold while allied
unit training 2 leather cannons, 4 harwuebusier and 1 mortar, carrolean 10 and 3 mortars,
brigade 7 black rider and 22 pikemen.

Extra techs are, allow Swedish mortars to target units, military drummers, 1 Cooper mine.

1 Like

chinese mortars can already target units

1 Like

I like the passive being linked to gold collection; I would leave it to the team to figure out the balance of how much. Armies in my mind would look more like (considering pop equivalency to other consulate options):

1. 6 caroleans 2) 4 black riders + 1 leather canon 3) 7 hakkapelit + 4 leather canons

Shipments:

1. Ships a coin mine 2) Allows recruitment of either black rider or fusilier 3) Advanced arsenal upgrades available or if its too OP, infantry breast plate or military drummers. 4) Age V unit shipment> 22 Imperial Dalkarl pikes and 10 jaeger.

Ps: Chinese mortars can already attack units.

I know that Chinese “hand mortars” can attack units. But I wanted them to also be able to attack units with “mortars” that I includdd as trainable option. Basically that Swedish mortar card.

I like the ship a coin mine you suggested!

I would not include mercs in the regular trainable consulate armies, only in the one time options.

Sweden has the advantage of mercenaries. If alliance with China

1. All mercenaries and desperadoes lose 1 population
  2. Mercenaries and desperadoes increase their health by 10%
  3. Consume export commodities and food. Transport an anti-cavalry unit composed of mercenaries and desperadoes

I actually agree with you that it would be interesting to give asian civs the chance to have reliable and better mercs through the Swedish consultate, specially considering how all euros now have access to imperial upgrades for mercs and the Age III Mercenary Contractor politician.

I do also think that if they decide to give Swedish consulate to China, it’s imperative that they represent a way to give them reliable anticav (better than musks) for mid/late game. Because it shouldn’t be insta GG if you are up vs french cav, british carded cav or carded uhlan armies.

AOE III team please add this into the game, it is nothing but a natural and expected addition to the game, even if you don’t do it in the way I proposed.

Albeit of dúbios histórical accuracy, in the sense that unlike the other powers sweden did not have their own colony in china, i this would actually solve 2 problems

China anticav and their early game. You could put a settler wagon consulte shipment to work just as the 4 vils, and have hakapelits from the consulte to protect your units from cav.

Check the link in the original post, you would be surprised.

Yes! The anticav part is crucial. However because hakepelits are not so specialized anticav really is why I suggested black riders instead, which are thematically accurate too

1 Like

My point is that consulateses are supposed to represent the embassies/colonies/cities owned by the colonial powers such as portuguese Goa, nagazaki and macau
Or British Hong Kong, British raj or even the russian ocupations of manchuria…
The swedish india company did have a factory in northeeast india… For a while… But no exclusive trading zones, exclusive ports, forts or colonies in china, Índia and japan (it did have a colony in the Gâmbia, ivory coast and NY though)

I think that what the consulate represents is up to interpretation. For me it means that there is a diplomatic relationship between two nations, that could be signified by trade for example, like in the case of Sweden and China.

1 Like

china has a very useful consulate for lategame, while india has 4 settlers. i think that sweden should go to India, removing portuguese (who use them??). the shipments could be 1) mine (good for karni mata) 2)drummers (india hasnt any arsenal upgrade) 3)better splash for cavalry(?)
the passive bonus could be cheaper upgrades. (france boost everything, its not need a estate boost)

1 Like

Seems fair enough, India and China both can use this,

Yep, but china has 4 usefull allies already, they dont need more

1 Like

I think that unlike China, India doesn’t need any more buffs. This would be the perfect opportunity to give China some reliable goon anticav that it desperately needs.

Devs please do not forget about this, I understand that it was an oversight at first but there is still time to correct this. It would come a long way as a part of updating previous TAD content to DE context.

1 Like

reality is that sweden didn’t have a presence in Asia. they tried to establish a single factory in India but it was basically immediately destroyed.

while i wouldn’t be opposed to more consulate options or changes, i dont think Sweden honestly is an option, they just didn’t really have a presence.

1 Like

I suggest you read the hole thread and the links provided for more information.

the consulate and all the consulate civs were made in like, 2007/2008 , and sweden was added in 2020, its not an oversight its simply that sweden didn’t exist at the time when the asian civs were added… by about 12 years

2 Likes