Swedes don't have a consulate option for Asian civs like the rest

i did read it. there is also this to read:

i guess you could argue china? but just without any treaty ports.

i mean the swedish east india companies history is fairly detailed it seems but it is also worth noting that by the end they were trade convoys more so than colonial efforts.

seria legal a índia pelos menos ter alguma tecnologia para ter um arsenal mais só com as tecnologia do arsenal avançado ou ter acesso para treino de canhãos de couro

1 Like

Hey Dansil, I understand what you are saying. I am aware of that information and what I meant was that the oversight comes from the following. 1. All European civs had a Consulate version for Asian civs when introduced. 2. DE introduces the Swedish (Europeans of course). 3. The consulate wasn’t updated to DE changes to continue with the original mechanic mentioned in ‘‘1’’.

Similar oversights have happened with other DE changes like making a lot of merc shipments infinite in Age IV for Europeans so that they become more attractive cards, while the equivalent shipments remain untouched for Asian civs.

Actually the British, French, Russians and US played the bigger role to the late Qing period of China. Compare to them, Germans or Swedish just not such an important choice, even less than the Dutch and Portuguese. Both of them were too late or insignificant to influence in the Far East. In my opinion, the option of Germans at the Chinese consulate should even be replaced with the Chinese Isolation, which keeps the bonus of cheaper banner armies. We should adjust the Chinese itself rather than just adding an option at its consulate if we wanna buff it.

BTW, if we also add the Dutch into the Indian consulate…

• J → P, D, S, J
  • C → B, F, R, C
  • I → B, F, P, D, O

Japanese would share 2 allies to Indians, so as Chinese.
Each Asian civ would have 1 unique European ally.
Japanese and Chinese would have their own Isolation, Indians could not isolate but get more options. (Indians still choose up to only four allies.)
It would be very symmetrical for me.

4 Likes

Yet another Asian upside which shouldn’t be in the game.

1 Like

Has Sweden historically set foot in Asia?

I suggest you look at the source of the original post for reference. Short answer is yes, but it’s not a well-known fact.

To be fair (but not saying that I personally want it) adding a US consulate to China and Japan would make more historical sense than adding a Swedish one to China. However, from a gameplay standpoint it could make some sense to add either one of them, but there are a myriad potential balance issues to consider before settling on the list of specific benefits such these consulate alliances would offer.

The consulate should REWORK as Tribute system, notably China, Joseon, Japan, Vietnam.
Should focus in Asian states SINCE DAY 1, if you want to ally with European states at least move some of them(German, US) to Industrial Age, and NOT MAKE THEM UNIQUE available for certain Asian civ due to these European states(Portugal, Dutch, Dutch, Spain) all have MUCH business relation with mostly Asian civ.

1 Like

Well… you mean, make it similar to the age advance of African civs, choose surrounding allies, and then have to wait until the late game to choose the strong European allies?

However, I think the current mechanics are also good. Many European countries arrived in Asia very early, and the design of the exports is in line with the relationship between Europe and Asia at the time.

Furthermore, exports are not inherently the same as influence. The consulate allies are more like auxiliary and the alliance of African civilizations is more like the main axis of strategy. It would be nice to have the consulate open to all allies from the start, and choose as needed.

What I mean is allow them access each other’s units due to East Asian cultural sphere.

Just some of them, read detailed.
And its make sense for timeline.

Since you mention it, every Asian civ should allow to access more European Medieval units(Pikeman, Crossbowman, Halberdier), not as current mechanics unique to certain Asian civ while others only access gunpowder army.

My mistake, they should separate the Consulate with East Asian cultural sphere, notably Tributary system of China.
Thanks for remind.

I mean, the change you’re looking for is basically very similar to the African set of mechanics.
Choose allies (tributary states) and enjoy their units and technology, Stronger countries (usually Europeans) appear in the industrial age.

Because of the way Allies are designed.
The same ally gives the same. Portuguese allie would not inconsistently supply Japanese crossbowmen and Chinese cassadors, just because the Portuguese (assumed) arrived earlier in Japan and later in China.

I think if you want to see the Chinese using Vietnamese or Korean units, or the Japanese using Ryukyu units, the easiest way is to bring in Vietnamese, Korean, Ryukyu, etc. units as natives or mercenaries. Then allows them to pay something for shipping them from the home city, just like the mercenary and native unit cards of European civilization.

In this way, you don’t have to go to great lengths to develop a new mechanic, don’t have to consider balance so much.