TC/Towers/Castles should stop throwing arrows on ram

Please devs for god sake fix your game. TC and Towers and Castles re-focus on rams after killing just a single unit. Whats the logic behind throwing arrows on the wood. No wonder this game has such high entry barrier. No new player is gonna waste so much APM at targeting units with every individual defensive building for every single unit and on top of that you can’t queue targets for buildings. Also if target moves outside the radius oh yea… TC is back at throwing arrows on wood. No wonder units can just camp under TC and have a nice lunch while you throw arrows on wood.

And how long has it been that devs haven’t fixed issue of re-targeting of second TCs. Second TCs are even more brain-dead.

5 Likes

IMO they have bigger balance issues to still fix

BUT I AGREE THEIR TARGETING PRIORITY SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE OPTIMIZED!!

range units/buildings fire at docks instead of ships?

Anti siege just fires at the closest units instead of closest enemy siege unit.

likewise anti infantry siege doesn’t prioritize the close infantry
similarly trebs and bombards don’t prioritize structures over closest target.

Hopefully they get around to optimizing the targeting system.

2 Likes

This how it works on all other aoe too.

One of the main advantages of tanky units like rams is that on late game fights they can protect weaker units.

It represents how soldiers took repair behind such machines during sieges, and it also avoid making towers too good.

1 Like

I don’t care abou the realism, I care about the playability. If they won’t fix the priority target system AT LEAST ALLOW SHIFT QUE ATTACK COMMANDS PLZZZ??

2 Likes

There is an intended mechanic for rams to protect unit. Guess what? You can garrison units inside the rams. Thats what intended mechanic is. Not roaming freely under defensive buildings.

1 Like

Yes for buildings there is no queue and its so annoying.

2 Likes

Dude, go back to aoe2 or aoe3, it works exactly like this…

Yes.

Absolutely this.

Right now all it does is forces unnecessary and pointless micro from the player, making the game balance different between low and high Elo, and making the player experience significantly worse.

Game balancing should not be done by making the player life miserable.

It conflicts with the overall design direction of the game - focus on decision making instead of muscle memory and mechanical execution.

2 Likes

I agree. Defensive systems should shoot first at targets that cause the most damage (not rams if units are also there). This would make it easy for new players.

1 Like

you can change the focus fire, so whats the problem? you wanna sit back and just watch the game? dont automate everything.

2 Likes

I think it is not interesting micro to do that and makes the entry barrier for new players higher.

1 Like

yea and beginners forget produce villagers too, you wanna automate this too? jesus watch a serie if you dont wanna do anything in a game.

1 Like

It will kill that single unit and refocus on ram. So you have to again do it for every single unit. On top of that you can’t even queue attacking targets with buildings.

Second not everyone has 20ms ping. Its usually around 100ms to 200ms and each action is delayed. Managing army isn’t a big issue but selecting building and re-targeting for every 2 sec is waste of APM and usually units can just move out of radius and come back and the buildings just forget you had targetted them. They are back to rams.

1 Like

Yes, this has also been suggested. You should be able to toggle unit production from a building. A lot of other RTS have this feature.

2 Likes

What RTS have that feature?

1 Like

I think you can just shift+click to queue the next target, no ? (i’m rarely in this situation honestly).

I think the automatic production of villagers is another topic. You also have help with the global build queue so that it is less likely that you forget. However I think it’s more of a skill to assign villagers to the right resources at the right time instead of always putting new ones into production after a while.

1 Like

Wait really!? I’ve been doing that this whole time, is that why nothing ever dies!?

And fun part is that tower elephants can multitask and seem to prioritize shooting ranged units while the elephant melee attacks the rams. So it’s not like they don’t have that logic in the game somewhere already.

1 Like

Yes you can’t queue for buildings and thats exactly why archers can sit in front of your TC and your TC does nothing.

Maybe they have other priorities. Also people think it will make rushes harder because they want to force micro on defending player. But in-fact micro should be on attacker side. They can garrison units inside rams to defend against TC fire and un-garrison when they need to attack. I do not understand people defending current TC logic.

1 Like

I think the best way to do this would be for the TC to have a small waypoint option, like a very small radius, the size of a mangonel, place it on top of the soldiers or cav etc… and it will shoot anything inside the circle first and then the closest unit to the outside of the circle because usually the ram is on your tc, even though if the ram is on the left side and archers on the right but they’re really compact, place the waypoint at the right side of the archers and it will shoot everything closest to it (which would be the archers)