Thank god for 2 hour refund on Steam. You're zoom level sucks and you ignored feedback

The amount I want might not be the same as what they want.
When asking for changes we need to actually articulate our requests properly.

Imagine telling a dev to “slap more zoom on this” like what does that actually mean practically?

On top of needless announcing they’ve refunded the game like ok?
So you actually don’t like the game at all but decided that zoom is what you want to be fixed.
A fix for a game you don’t own. Cool.

1 Like

And this is the reason why the developers decided a common ground regarding the zoom level, because they know that everyone want different zoom level available which would be a nightmare to balance it.

1 Like

Since people keep bringing up performance:

During the closed beta people (myself included) discovered how to activate the dev cam, which allows completely free camera control.
The performance impact was not really noticeable…

It is a design decision. Things like sound design were designed around it.

3 Likes

I do think in general they might need to work on optimization.
We can technically extend zoom further without making your game unplayable.

1 Like

Shall we also ban people with a better mouse or larger monitor then? Back in the days where there was no 4k monitor or even no 3D graphics, there were 800x600 and 1024x768, which allow people to see very different amount of contents. I’m pretty sure people were not unhappy with that.
Unless there is a hard technical barrier inherent in AOE4 that prevents even the slightest increase in zoom level than it is now, I don’t see that as a problem. Every 3D AOE has a large range of zooming levels, and DEs even larger.

2 Likes

Yeah this exactly. its really unfortunate they deleted the thread about it.

3 Likes

First you call me to FO and now you call me a communist? you have issues mate go check yourself up.

1 Like

All I’m saying is to try and have as much fairness as possible. Is that so hard to understand and why is that bothering you so much?

1 Like

I think they were trying to make a joke?
Honestly idk what they are trying to say by that though.

AOE3DE has far, very far and now introduced a ludicrous zoom level option in the settings with the latest patch. Is it now an unfair game?

1 Like

I don’t know it depends, can everyone use that or only certain group of players that have the right hardware?

1 Like

Why do I care? I guess I can answer that without irritation. I can’t hotkey around the map. I only have one hand and too many keys involved. By your argument, I should be screaming that hotkeys need to be removed, because I can’t use them and you shouldn’t be able to either.

1 Like

We first need to confirm that there is a sharp decline of performance right next to the current zoom level, that making it any little larger would make the system requirement skyrocket, then we can talk about fairness with hardwares.

Asfaik AOE3DE did not have that problem with the ludicrous zoom. Not sure if a 2021 game would.

2 Likes

AoE2 also had 1280*1024 as resolution in 1999, which was quite groundbreaking for that time. I remember the few people who had 17’’ CRT monitors and could use that resolution, were amazed by how it looked and you could see way more of the screen and everybody dreamed to play it like that.

As a comparison, Starcraft 1 at the time was stuck on 640*480, so that was seen as a huge step forward for AoE2.

2 Likes

First of all, I’m sorry to hear that you have that problem with just one hand I didn’t know because you never told us about that when created this topic regarding the zoom out level issue, now it makes more sense to me.

However, that doesn’t give you the right to call me to ■■■■ off or calling me a communist just to try prove a point and because you disagree with my own personal opinion. You don’t see me calling you names and such because I disagree with you? No I try to have a normal discussion here and try to find a common ground because I know what I want and think is fine, other people might not share the same view as me.

1 Like

“we can already buy something of an advantage, so we should be able to buy more of a gameplay advantage” is not the winning argument you think it is.

Assuming that the gameplay should be equal for everyone, yes. Otherwise why would any game bother with minimum specifications, or recommended specifications, or even optimising the game(s) at all? Just let the people with the most powerful computers get all the wins!

1 Like

Max zoom should still be bumped up 10-20% more, but I’m gonna play the game anyway. It’s sad; the game is very cinematic, but at the same time, it won’t let you zoom out and enjoy the spectacle. This is also bad for esports and viewership.

They do tend to ignore specific feedback. During the 2v2 show match stream, the devs asked for questions and then proceeded to ignore every specific question, only answering a few touchy-feely “questions” that provided no actual information like “what is your favorite civ” and “will I be able to get gold on the ladder.” I suspect the suits told them they were not allowed to answer specific questions, which is very unfortunate.

It’s a bad look. They need to work on that. The game is still fun, but it could definitely be funner.

1 Like

So because I want equal fairness for everyone just not for me I’m suddenly a communist? I’m not sure you actually know what that word means, and you should stop embarrassing yourself even further with more ridiculous accusations. I tried to be respectful to you but you keep pushing it.

I’m done talking to someone like you who can’t get past his emotions and clearly have anger issues.

1 Like

It actually is:
When mods emerged for AOE2DE that showed the reach of ranged buildings, guess what the devs did?
They included it as an option for everyone, so no one has an advantage using this mod.

I wonder what you will do when zoom out mods emerge for this game?

Also, where is my gameplay advantage when playing singleplayer?

2 Likes

Truly impressed to see how spoiled the gaming community has become in the last couple years. The devs actually increased the zoom out level during the beta. You could just have come here and talked about it, instead you choose to pull out a rant.

Since you already refunded the game, I think its farewell, then. Leave the game to us, actual players :slight_smile:

6 Likes