Thank god for 2 hour refund on Steam. You're zoom level sucks and you ignored feedback

So they say this game wasnt really made for esports/competitive scene, but now they lock zoom to be same for evreyone so it’s ultra fair competitively? They would AT LEAST allow it single player if that was the case. So, no, here’s my 2 cents:

I think that there were serious mistakes made from a design point of view in the early but very important stages of development, when they laid the foundation. And now they are stuck with this because if they zoom out further, maybe things like sound or hit boxes will not work properly anymore, so they are stuck with this limited amount of zoom. The devs wish they could zoom out more themselves, but they know they screwed up so much that they can’t add that anymore. It’s not because it wouldnt be fair, or there would be performance issues, it’s because the game is broken from the ground up.

5 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

I’m using an 8 year old GPU and I love how the game has been made to cater to me. How does this make you feel?

1 Like

Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: boss your like me always staying calm- but cant “not “ reply…
And no matter what you say- it gets them fired up… :joy:

You’re very sensitive.

2 Likes

Nobody cares about how much money you make or what kinda job you have. You are literally some random dude on the internet to us so stop trying to flex your mediocre income.

The fact you belittle other people for having less money really indicates your character.
You also just randomly accuse people of being communists which is hilarious.

1 Like

You do sound like one.
hahah ha hahahhaha

All jokes and good intentions leading to gulags aside…
Now, we who use big monitors are at a disadvantage.
So… What? Does the game needs to come with a full PC with monitor and devices?

And… they did ignore the feedback. The zoom out still sux, hotkeys, blah, blah, blah, blah…

A little bit more zoom would be nice.

1 Like

I actually agree with and support the OP.
The game was released as a half finished product.
It is really sadening to see this, as a HUGE aoe fan of the first hour.
I didn’t buy AOE4 and I’m glad I didn’t.
Checking the forums for unfixed bugs/problems and watching the streams already made it obvious that there was very little effort only to fix the broken game from all the betas.
This is a 10€ product.
If they push the development hard further, I’ll probably get it for almost free the coming year in Christmas/summer sale on steam.
The publisher (Microsoft) has to be punished for disrespecting the people who purchase it, expecting a fully developed and functional product.

3 Likes

Id rather have a unfonished game now- then a finished game in two years…
Updates dlc and new stuff takes years. If u played mc for the caves and cliffs you would still be waiting for the release! If u only played sc2 for the coop youd been waiting nearly extra 10years!
Take what u can wait for the rest…

I bought it on steam, refunded, bought Game Pass and after a couple hours playing, decided its not worth my time. Really sad. I have left a message that I hope reach someone within Relic/MS on the refund reason. I have played AoE2, AoM, AoT, Age3 somewhat competitively. Change was never a problem, but this is so unpolished its not acceptable.

2 Likes

People like you are the reason why the game industry can currently do what they are doing with us customers.
Sorry but please…
I got no words for this.

1 Like

You are taking the words out of my mouth dude.
All my friends who’ve been playing aoe ever since were hyped as F*CK about AOE4, they all bought it on release and are already uninstalling it.
Sad truth, the release is a joke.

2 Likes

That is directly counter to your argument, not in support of it. Some people had an unfair advantage, so the devs made a change to make it fair again for everyone.

It supports it:
Some people do have greater vision when using different resolutions, so the devs should increase it for everyone.

Zoom is directly tied to performance and playability, the range indicator was not.

It wasn’t that some people could use range indicators because they had a stronger PC, it was just because they happened to know about the mod.

At some point increased zoom will become unusable for people with weaker machines giving people with stronger machines an advantage (I am not saying we are near that point I have no idea). That’s the whole thing we were just discussing. Adding zoom to that point will give some players an advantage, the exact opposite of the scenario from AOE2DE that you are trying to use to support your argument.

1 Like

It does not have to reduce performance, in most cases it improves fps when there is a good LOD system in place. We are at a point where more zoom might just provide a better overview of the situation, so you do not need to show much detail for micro. Games like Total War use less resources when zoomed out.

The current zoom level is a design decision, not performance. They decided that sounds, details and overall feel/immersion are at best on this zoom level and I tend to agree. But there are situations where you need an overview.

No, the aoe2 devs could have restricted mod use just like aoe4 devs are now doing with zoom, taking options away to keep it fair instead of adding them.

We were specifically talking about a situation where people with better hardware could use more zoom than those without. See the quote from gorbmort you responded to.

Maybe it doesn’t have to reduce performance, as I said I don’t know if we are even near that point, maybe they could add some more without issues, maybe not. But once again we were specifically talking about a situation in which it does.

Well until the devs state that it would in fact hurt performance drastically any discussion about that is pure speculation anyway, so people should be able to request more zoom out.

And even if it would hurt performance: At least add it for singleplayer.

2 Likes