The AI is terrible

My post wasn’t about neither how i should feel nor about patch timetables.I was merely pointing out a simple contradiction and potentially devastating consequences of it.

If you just said this one sentence, it’d be perfectly fine and stayed within the PR context.

“I’m not allowed to say ATM,so stay tuned for updates”

But when you wanna add additional info like some things get pushed/changed/pulled out when soneone asks for not specific changes but in the context of 'Will general/substantial improvements gonna be made ?"

You last part of the answer was check next patch notes to be sure which gives the impression of 'You may not find all the things you requested"

Any way i’m not gonna take this further.Let’s leave it as is.

Peace out

1 Like

A new patch is coming out soon. We are promised improved AI.
Do you think it will happen?

A little more good news :slight_smile:

We need a radical change in the behavior of the AI, not just adding a bonus to the collection of resources.
I hope the AI will become stronger not only from the bonuses from the collection of resources.

1 Like

if AI was gathering at 2x that would be a bug. Now it’s a feature. Enjoy playing 2x broken AI.

1 Like

My new thread on AI bugs in the PUP patch. Who found more bugs can write them in my topic or create your own.

Calm down I think everything will be fixed.

You can leave your feedback about the AI’s behavior here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Recently released a new patch, which unfortunately does not fix the behavior of the AI, but only adds new difficulties AI. The old version of the Hardest AI is back in the game without resource bonuses.

New AI difficulties:

Ridiculous - Same as the Hardest AI but with bonuses to resources and resource gathering speed. (the same as the Hardest AI before this patch).

Outrageous - Has an even greater bonus to resource gathering and has more resources.

Absurd - Has simply huge resources and a huge bonus to the collection of resources.

That’s all for now :frowning:
We’ll wait for new patches.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-of-empires-iv-season-four-patch-6-1-130/

1 Like

Absurd is actually the same as the cheating Hardest AI from last patch with double resources.

Ridiculous and Outrageous have smaller resource bonuses (1.2x and 1.5x)

Not sure if we have ever gotten AI logic improvements on a mid season small patch or not. Hopefully the next big patch has more improvements.

2 Likes

This AI has always been a hardcoded mess that spams all button presses and then sends out units.Saw it on the first days before I refunded.

It figures their ‘solution’ was not to make a better system or improve themselves after teh horror show of AoE4 (which really should have been its own brand entirely, then see how well it is recieved)…

but just do like some crap like ‘lets give them handicap% and resource bonus’. Let’s go back to 1999, wait at least they did make an AI script system where, oddly enough, with scripting enough, some of those custom AI became very good; in 1999, and now this was all made in 2022-2023, but its all hardcoded (not moddable).

And the fact players just accept this and don’t refund this crap for ‘this’, as well as the huge list of daily bugs and fails that this game had spewed out, and the gaymers just sort of accepting it, letting their kids play it, etc… that is the biggest fail of it all, that it will just be a marketing trick and it worked against you.

It’s not even AoE really it’s just some new dev team who failed making their own RTS game about 3 years ago, Microsoft hired them, and the said ‘you can make AoE4 then’. The only thing going for this game is Microsoft’s deceptive marketing team parading it as being part of a successful series,like a crap car being labelled Ferrari, then people buy it cuz it’s called Feblari and is actually a 1994 car in disguise.

That was always the odd thing to me is realizing ‘hm this dev team really tried their best to make Dawn of War 3 into something like this, but, now that people think it’s Age of Empires 4, the same exact people are making a similar game?’ It also says a lot about the players who actually just play it and don’t refund the game.

2 Likes

What are you talking about? Your comment is all over the place and mostly off topic.

The AI for sure needs a LOT of work still , but it’s been getting improvements in every major patch. They’ve added 3 new difficulties above Hardest, those are the only ones that cheat now. The standard 4 difficulties do not cheat.

Also, the 1999 AoE2 AI was terrible. It’s been drastically improved over the years to what we have now.

2 Likes

Like what? The existing AI just taking some scripts like from aok.heavengames.com AI section and it was already available for those who knew how to set it up. Maybe they altered a slight thing but not much.

You can literally go try the original AI and the DE version. It’s way, way better now. The AoE2 AI was crap for much longer than AoE4 has existed.

It sounds like you have no idea about how they’ve improved the AI over the years.

Look here for a very brief explanation of some of the AI improvements:

There’s at least one interview with the AI designers somewhere as well about how they’ve drastically improved it from the original.

It has also received further improvements over the life of DE so far.

2 Likes

I love how your post is a perfect example of linking to a book (that you likely didn’t read) just because you didn’t really understand how it worked, then saying someone should read it. And because you just stated something you don’t really understand, then wanted to pretend you were knowledgable.

Look up thehorde, barbarian, and similar AI (aok.heavengames.com ai section) that is basically the same exact script/thing in 1.0C(1999) as it is in AoE2DE (202x) and improves the AI in similar or same way. In AoE2DE it is still seen as one of or the best general scripts. They may have added to the AI scripting a little bit, however not much.

The point was AoE4 doesn’t ‘even’ have moddability/scripting, you can’t even improve it then by modding.

2 Likes

I am fully aware of barbarian and some of the other fan made AIs. They’re way better than the original AoE2 AI. Some, in their latest iterations, are even better than the current DE AI. What even is your point?

That changes nothing about what I said. The original AoE2 AI was not good, much like the AoE4 AI is not good. It’s been improved over the years to what we have now. Yes, some of that due to work done by the community.

2 Likes

agreed. i did play AoE2 back in the day when it first came out… the AI was very bad, I remember winning games super early because the AI would just ‘‘surrender’’ for no apparent reason. I remember seeing the surrender message within like 2 minutes of games… then i’d attack one and once i destroy enough of its base, boom, surrender without much fight.

So saying AOE4’s AI is worse than AOE2’s original AI is very, very wrong.

Small changes to the AI in the PuP patch.

AI Updates
Fixed multiple bugs and tuning that would sometimes allow the Easy AI to be more aggressive or produce more military than intended.
Fixed AI siege weapons sometimes being stuck in a loop of setting up, tearing down, and repositioning.
Made AI siege weapons “smarter” during a siege of an enemy base, it spends less time standing around doing nothing if it can’t reach the selected target.
Fixed a bug where sometimes the AI could send villagers to farm allied player farms.
Improved positioning of AI’s early resource drop-off camps to favor being on the side of a deposit that is closer to the AI’s town center, instead of positioning them farther away and being harder to defend.
Improved the AI’s placement and frequency of building lumber yards to improve wood gathering efficiency.
Fixed an issue where the AI would sometimes fail to build farms on naval maps.
Fixed a bug where AI villagers could temporarily go idle when dropped off on an island.
AI players will now correctly begin scouting on Four Lakes and Continental maps.
AI resource exchange via market has been optimized, so that AI will only go for resource exchanges that make sense.
AI will not send its villagers into dangerous areas to fix ally’s Landmarks anymore.
Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the AI to not research tier upgrades (veteran/elite unit upgrades).
Pathfinding improvements allow AI to handle walls more intelligently on campaign maps
Fixed an issue where the AI’s archers would sometimes move closer to the enemy between attacks instead of standing in place.
Fixed a bug that would cause AI archers to sometimes briefly stand idle after attempting to reposition during a fight.
Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause the AI’s military ships to fail to retreat from a fight.
Fixed a bug where the AI would not produce the Tithe Barns research.
AI’s scouts will now ignore wolves unless they are from the Rus civilization. They will also not enter in this combat if they are low on health.
In Nomad mode, if a player tries to build their Town Center near where the AI is planning their Town Center the AI should now reposition to a safer location.
Fixed an issue where the Mongol AI could gather wood for too long at the start of a match.
Fixed issues with the Mongol AI’s packed buildings failed to unpack again when relocating.

1 Like

Next patch AI update

AI Updates

• Fixed multiple bugs and tuning that would sometimes allow the Easy AI to be more aggressive or produce more military than intended.

• Fixed AI siege weapons sometimes being stuck in a loop of setting up, tearing down, and repositioning.

• Made AI siege weapons “smarter” during a siege of an enemy base, they spend less time standing around doing nothing if they can’t reach the selected target.

• Fixed a bug where sometimes the AI could send villagers to farm allied player farms.

• Improved positioning of AI’s early resource drop-off camps to favor being on the side of a deposit that is closer to the AI’s town center, instead of positioning them farther away and being harder to defend.

• Improved the AI’s placement and frequency of building lumber yards to improve wood gathering efficiency.

• Fixed an issue where the AI would sometimes fail to build farms on naval maps.

• Fixed a bug where AI villagers could temporarily go idle when dropped off on an island.

• AI players will now correctly begin scouting on Four Lakes and Continental maps.

• AI resource exchange via market has been optimized, so that AI will only go for resource exchanges that make sense.

• AI will not send its villagers into dangerous areas to fix allied Landmarks anymore.

• Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the AI to not research tier upgrades (veteran/elite unit upgrades).

• Pathfinding improvements allow AI to handle walls more intelligently on campaign maps.

• Fixed an issue where the AI’s archers would sometimes move closer to the enemy between attacks instead of standing in place.

• Fixed a bug that would cause AI archers to sometimes briefly stand idle after attempting to reposition during a fight.

• Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause the AI’s military ships to fail to retreat from a fight.

• Fixed a bug where the AI would not produce the Tithe Barns research.

• AI’s scouts will now ignore wolves unless they are from the Rus civilization. They will also not enter in this combat if they are low on health.

• In Nomad mode, if a player tries to build their Town Center near where the AI is planning their Town Center the AI should now reposition to a safer location.

1 Like

The aoe4 ai has problems relating to the fact that its economic priorities are whack. It sells/buys from markets early and too much, its building placement for resources are terrible. It can’t properly use some landmarks, its is too willing to wall and it does not make a lot of units. Most of this is actually unfixable in modding besides completely disabling stuff like walling, landmarks, and markets. Its fighting ai is also bad but can be slightly fixed through modding.

Some of these ai changes in the new patch, although “small” to me, looks to be pretty big. Im excited for the updated market, siege ai, archer ai and lumber camps. Those 4 are huge limiting features that can bump the ai greatly despite how minor it sounds.

1 Like