The Alt+F4 Multiplayer Problem

Let me see if i get the new change right, i join to a queue get megarandom with 900 elo players, then i leave, get a 5 mins punishment, proceed to change the nick just to repeat the process and get paired again with beautiful low elo players, great i am sure that is deftly going to solve the problem, while making me waste even more time for the very same disgusting experience :slight_smile:

1 Like

But that could be solved by playing with your friends and matching only againts Gamer Legion.

Making your own team should fix that.

thing is not everyone can and some people rather play alone eventho it tends more and more to people playing in groups

so much time with this issue and zero effort in trying to fix it.

the only reason is the developers want the people stop playing aoe2 so that maybe those people switch to aoe4-

I’d learn how to code to create an updated version of Voobly before i’d leave AoE2 behind.

And I know squat about coding

Wait so you sold your ally completely, and then are surprised when he calls you a noob? 11

1 Like

Do you AltF4 if it’s not arena? I’m confused

My opponents do, and it’s wonderful, since I can just get right back into the queue and try for Arena again.

With the current version of Arabia being so broken, I’ve been banning it and favoriting Arena. But that just means I get matched most of the time with people who favorite Arabia and ban Arena. So the matchmaking system puts us on Ghost Lake or Migration, and most of the time they thankfully Alt+F4 in order to avoid the map.

One of the few times I actually did play Ghost Lake, my opponent chatted, “This is why people Alt+F4 these maps.” Clearly neither of us wanted to play that map, and it was a waste of both of our time to go through with the game.

6 Likes

after 668 comment , i am here to up this post.

No. The ALLY was a NOOB that DID NOT even WALL. The ALLY did NOT even HOUSE WALL. Even thiough i STATED BEORE that the enemy WOULD SCOUT RUSH. They ALLY WAS A NOOB THAT WAS NOT EVEN ABLE TO QUICK WALL. It is ENTIRELY THE ALLIES FAULT FOR QUITTING.!!! :smiley: :smiley:

I think Alt+F4 should be punished.

The main problem with infinite bans or separate map queues is that it the matchmaker would have to compensate for having fewer players in each queue. The matchmaker would have to either:

• Increase queue times significantly

• Increase the acceptable ELO difference between players, creating more unbalanced games

More than likely it would need to do some combination of both. Leaderboards would also need to be split because the best players in each queue would never meet each other.

If AoE2 was a much more popular game, like SC2 at its peak, then I’d be more inclined to agree that splitting the queues is a good idea, however it’s not. AoE2 multiplayer is as popular as it has ever been but at ~15000 concurrent players on DE on Steam (most of whom are in singleplayer), it’s nowhere close to the ~200000 in 1v1 ranked alone in SC2, which is well past its prime.

I’m a ~1000 ELO player at the moment, which is exactly in the middle of the bell curve, and so should have the shortest queue times, yet regularly have to wait over 2 minutes to get a game. I can only imagine the queues get much longer at the higher and lower ends of the ELO bell curve.

In 1v1s, having 3 bans and a favourite gives you a ton of influence over what maps you’ll play most of the time while also guaranteeing that you’ll always have at least one map unbanned, no matter who you get matched with. I think it’s a great compromise. I would rather play on a variety of maps, with short queue times and fair matches, than play only one map, waiting forever in queues and have more unbalanced matches.

People who Alt+F4 waste the time of the majority of players who put up with the current ranked system and recognize why it is the way it is.

2 Likes

You are new to the game to fully understand the issue, before giving ur thoughts you should understand this is not a new game, this is a remaster from a well and solid community who had strong preferences, the meta is quite polished so we already know which settings are competitive and which maps are deftly not competitive or fair, sc2 is an easier game so it shouldn’t be compared to aoe2, specially cause that game is now ded, you want to compare the game with moderns match makings, then its behind every single one of them, none of the all existent match making forces you to play things you don’t want, you queue up for the map and game mode, a player leaves the queue another replaces him without disbanding the whole party.

Also you are not in the middle you are in the very button being 1k elo, there are less alt f4 on those levels, players on low levels don’t care about quality but quantity, alt f4 is far more common in middle and high levels.

Wasting time in the queue or wasting your time in 1 hour of an unfair megarandom game with a team with 0 possibilities to win, you choose which one you’d prefer to waste, but to answer that you first must reach the real middle which is 1600 in 1x1, cheers.

I didn’t compare the gameplay of the two games, just the matchmaking and player numbers. You could easily use Overwatch or Call of Duty matchmaking as a comparison too. Online games with ranked multiplayer need a matchmaker that can balance the interests of its playerbase. AoE2 happens to have a small playerbase which means the matchmaker needs to be more restrictive if we want decent queue times and close ELO margins.

By definition, 1000 ELO is average. This is where I am in the ELO distribution, right on the peak:

Only 4% of ranked players have a rating above 1600, what the hell are you even talking about?

Please don’t gatekeep AoE2 to only “old school” players, this is how game communities die.

4 Likes

NOOBS WHO PLAY RANKED TEAM GAMES WITH ZERO RANKED 1V1 GAMES PLAYED ARE WASTING THE TIME OF THEIR TEAM MATES!!! :smiley: :smiley:

I remember the days when placing gates took skill. You had to place two palisade foundations in order to rotate it correctly. And it even cost 4 Wood to do it! Kids these days just get to use the mouse wheel to place perfect gates every time. I still don’t see the Keep upgrade very often in multiplayer though, that’s more of a campaign thing.

5 Likes

I disagree with your advocacy of your opponent ALT+F4’ing for you, but I will defend to the death your right to crack jokes.

Ask any player above 1600 about their opinion about 1k elo players, they are like bots on skills, numbers are tricky there, the real skill difference can be measured like i am telling you, a 2.5k player can crush 2 1k players in 2x1, the same 2.5k player can’t beat two 1600, the skill difference is massive, so yeah my comparison is pretty accurate in terms of skill capabilities.

I don’t want to offend anyone but the only way to know your place is by ranking up, if you consider good cause 96% of the players are worse than you, then you are just lying to urself.

I have a new idea. Players who Alt-F4 get a time-out of the combined time of the other players’ queue.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand the metric you’re using, you’re essentially saying that everyone below 1600 is a noob based on how many of them a 2.5k player can beat? Why use this metric instead of using a percentile of active ranked players like every other competitive ladder?

I understand it’s a hard game but regardless of how skill levels scale I think that having to climb above 90% of all active ranked players to even be allowed to have an opinion on the game is frankly ridiculous (and you know, more gatekeeping).