The art style of this game

Agree with you. I don’t like the unit details. It doesn’t seem Aoe. This Is my personal opinioni. Relic could do much Better. They have talented artists.

1 Like

There are several threads like this.

Graphic engine Is going to be a problem for this game. Please, more details and dark atmoshpere

2 Likes

They should share the results of that community survey that was done several months ago.
Then we can all see what the community really said about the art style and everything else that was asked there.
No reason to keep them hidden.

3 Likes

It looks like a tabletop game at the moment, I agree. The graphical fidelity (not the style) should look 5X better than CoH 2 and 3X better than AoEIII.

1 Like

Yeah, I can agree to this somewhat. But as trailer goes, unless yo squeeze your eyes/pupils you can’t see the units walking in the environment. So there is a trade-off of looking like this. I don’t know if you know game Commandos, they had this problem and graphics were similar to SpellForce 3, just not as advanced. AoE IV looks like the table top game. It is good. Only worry about the gameplay. Blizzard makes “cartoony” graphics in their RTS too (Warcraft mainly), but their gameplay is what makes their game shine.

I think the Units are way too small compared to the Buildings and the Walls are way too large no matter what. I am not sure what exactly would look cartoony. The proportions of the units do not look overly cartoony. However, an RTS is not a sim, and we need heightened visual cues to quickly distinguish between different Units and Buildings.

8 Likes

You’re never going to look at units that closely under normal gameplay conditions. Units have to stand out with defining features and colors from a comfortable zoom level for an RTS game and you’re not going to see all sorts of fine details from that distance.

What you are describing is not an Age of Empires game.

5 Likes

Yeah, 100% true. This is not cartoony in any ways. In Age II, walls had same height as the castle as to the monastery as to university as to the market. In this game the buildings especially the walls are stuck to different level of terrain. Units look more like AOE III than anything else. And of course the details will get continue to improved.

7 Likes

And this is what this game is doing well…when they move the camera all the way up, you were still able to differentiate everything, when camera came from the back, or the sides or diagonal, you had no trouble differentiating units and buildings. Thus, graphics style did its job. It is near perfect.

4 Likes

Exactly. That’s what i mean

2 Likes

I Always zoom in on units. I like to closely Watch units when fight each others

2 Likes

Ok, no dark atmoshpere but more details and pixel yes

Those models are poor

2 Likes

Tabletop game doesn’t mean it is cartoony in any ways, let me just clear that point. Totalwar is a tabletop game too. As total war is progressing (as you see with Troy, Warhammer, 1 and 2), they are becoming more table-toppy, not a bad thing if you ask me.

Settlers is more cartoony than Age IV, 100% fact.

5 Likes

Meh…it looks good as is. Gameplay is what counts for me.

2 Likes

It’s pre-alpha mate. I would be in your side when this is how it looks closer to its release.

3 Likes

its “pre-alpha” its OK. But anyway it is very cartoonish!!

I hope they change it :frowning:

3 Likes

They look perfect to me but I guess agree to disagree.

6 Likes

Yes, this is pre-alpha the game have the time to evolve. For me it’s building which don’t have lot of details. When you see the video from the beginning it’s really close to aoe 3, I prefer to wait true gameplay. This is a version on which they are playing every day, so they use maybe low textures and this make the illusion of a cartoon game. In game you will not see the difference. (I hope)

mate i’m not complaning about the colour or “cartoonish style itself” but i see a lack of definition on models and for me isn’t a good thing for a game like AOE4.

age-of-empires

As you seen, those models aren’t good if you are going to compared to Spellforce3
spellforce

This is the main problem imho.

Personally, i’ve a really good PC and i’d like to closely see battlefield and units with really good detail.

AOE is always been famous for its graphic. Aoe3 had been the best when it was released and it’s good enough today.

So, i Know this game is in pre-alpha stage, but it needs of more improvements.

8 Likes