The art style of this game

I’m wondering what’s the RTS you played mostly. I do not know what you are expecting but those:
looks so garbage.

1 Like

One is disney park, you prove my point. Stop fanboyism and use correct art concept.

1 Like

I proved nothing! At least you should try to read!

1. I asked you what kind of RTS you played in the past. What’s your fav?
  2. What’s your expectations?
  3. I linked both images and I said that both are garbage I thought that was both from the same game.

How is comparing a fantasy castle to a historical representation of a castle proves anything…sorry if that comes out as rude?

I hope you never watch anything from Planet Earth series otherwise you would say that they are movies not an actual representation of wildlife, ocean, animals…because they not only use cinematics to enhance the nature, but insert added effects to invoke emotions.

That’s good. I thought I was only an old guy here. I am 32 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suppose nearly everyone is above 30+ or at least there goes my expectations. I would like to avoid people who were not real fan of AoE1-2, and those who come from different game-styles like Total War saga or other kind of games.

I’m 35 and i played all AOE games
I’m a big fan of this franchise. I played a lot many others RTS and my favorites, besides AOE, are Total war, stronghold, speelforce and Company of Heroes.

Art style could again be improved. They’re in pre-alpha stage. I Hope developers Will read these discussions.

6 Likes

Because look similar, that is the point,(rude you,?lol) isn’t realism there is like more Age of Princess from disney. But they have time to fix this mess.

2 Likes

It’s about being objective and critical.

First of all, it was a little fanservice again the Middle Ages.

Second to improve the artistic direction, the engine hides well those cartoonistic and artificial errors, so much so that you don’t see those details.

There’s no excuse for disproportionate weapons. Only in Aoe 3, AoM and AoEO we saw that of using big size weapons, with unreal scale.

The textures could be better.

33 years old here. If you ask yourself. All saga played, all AoE games played.

1 Like

LMFAO, “Age of princess” that is a good one, not gonna lie. :crazy_face: Bro, come on, off course there are always gonna be people on both sides. I didn’t want them to go back to the medieval but many people did. So I accepted it. Similarly many think graphics is gorgeous (the critics, twitter, many here in forums, the youtubers, and pro players), and very few think it is an issue. Graphics means nothing on the Age game. Age online (celeste) is an example of that. If that game sucked, there wouldn’t be a fan version of the game. And truth is people are playing it, there are multiplayer game running right now. What made that game trash? The business-model and platform model. It did many things right arguably.

Gameplay is where any Age game becomes a hit or flop. I am denying you or @nonlosojimmy or many age buddies like you, that games can use little re-work in the details of models. But I will hate to break it you, game is probably past its design and graphical stages, that is why there is a “gameplay” (in-game cinematic) exists. They can only improve existing details, going back and starting over will be costly, and not practical.

So we should all end the conversation here. If you like the Age IV graphics good for you. If you don’t like the Age IV graphics, also good for you! Let’s shift the conversation from merely aesthetic to meat of the game- the gameplay.

4 Likes

To me I personally like the art style of Anno 1800. It looks very posh and most people do not have complaint regarding the style
But yeah, it is not about cartoonie or not, I felt it is just the art style itself makes people felt not very mature for some reason.

2 Likes

After having the weekend to think about it. Sign me up. I’m all in now on AOE4

4 Likes

Well same! I am excited as much as I can be :slight_smile: Alpha/Beta and the finished game will provide us more insights on how they will approach the game! Hope we get more information about gameplay soon :smiley: I want to deep-dive so badly

3 Likes

I don’t know, why so many people say it’s VERY CARTOONISH.
I also think it could look a bit more “realistic” and less “cartoonish”, okay. But compared to Aoe Online or real mobile games for children, you see a HUGE difference.
And just compare Age of Empires 3 with Aoe4 trailer gameplay. I can’t really say Aoe4 is much more cartoony, sometimes even Aoe 3 looks more cartoony.

The only things I can understand is that the weapons are too big sometimes or the castle/walls, that looks a bit Disney like. The saturation is typically Aoe style.

I think the unit details will be improved soon, according to rumors we can expect the Aoe4 release in 2021, so there is enough time to make some improvements or even changes.

6 Likes

Heavy cavalry

2019-11-20-15

2 Likes

I’m excited for it. It looks beautiful to me, but just has too much haziness coming from the sun/sky. It could use some color saturation here and there, like the grass, or blood, or smoke etc. But the trailer has me and my friends very excited to age it up.

2 Likes

AoE 3 have less lighting effects, the proportion are bad (buildings) weapons size are fine than aoe iv, the trees have better proportion to any other aoe.

Umm…

I don’t like very “realistic” style because they age bad…some look real bad in 5~10 years and some a little more like cartoon because of their style doesn’t look so bad

i shall wait for a real gameplay reveal

2 Likes

I prefer a more realistic style, too. But Gameplay > Graphics for me.
If the gameplay suffers a lot because they’re too busy adding higher def details and worrying too much about having the best graphics ever for any game or RTS game ever, that won’t be a good thing, imo. Audio is very important to me, too. Don’t want a repeat of AoE3 where graphics looked fairly decent, but gameplay and audio were … not good, imo. (Click any building in AoE3 and get the same suitcase-closing sound every time? Yikes.)

3 Likes