The Chinese should also have Cavalry Archer/hand gun cavalry

If China had the choice to either develop Cavalery Archers or bombards (or handcannoners/nest of bees/…), so if it was a choice between more mobility or more gunpowder, I would agree.

I think it would make sense (and would be cool gameplay wise) if adopting the Ming or Qing dynasty would give access to horse archers. I don’t believe China should have it by default, however.

4 Likes

reach yaun dynasty, get cav archers, sure thing. china needs more love and I don’t mind seeing more units being unlocked from dynasties to add value.

real question is what unit to add to the Ming. the grenadiers there make aoe3 ones look viable.

1 Like

I agree that the horse archer shouldn’t be unique to the Rus which it definitely shouldn’t because the horse archer was also used by other nations as well.

2 Likes

And in this case, distribute culverins, grinders, etc. to everyone :slightly_smiling_face: In AOE 2, the Slavs should also have cannons, donjons and an upgrade for archers, but all this was not done, for the sake of balance 🤷🏻

2 Likes

I agree, alomost every civilization should have their cav archer to counter enemies vast of, monotonous melee cavalry because the weak pikemen coundn’t counter cavs effectively. To show some civ’s personality, they could just make rus and mongol’s cav archer stronger or give them some unique peculiarity, such as mongol’s run and hit.

1 Like

Yes, I agree.
Chinese need more buff.

1 Like

I agree as well!!!

No. Even english had some horse archers in history and that doesnt mean its a good idea to have them in game.

Using just most popular most used units for every faction adds to the diversity in the game.

PS: would change horse archers for chinese not having bombard in game though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I disagree. While I am all for more unit variety all around, giving the same units to every single civ would make the game far less interesting.

1 Like

Personally, I think popularity is a very important criterion. In Western Europe, cavalry Archer is only non mainstream after all, so it is not necessary to have cavalry archer. In China, especially in the era span of aoe4, the popularity of Chinese cavalry Archer is second only to Mongolia, not less than Rus.

1 Like

Of course, I understand that aoe4 civilization needs to have its own characteristics, so China’s cavalry Archer may be designed as hand gun cavalry, which is also in line with the setting of gunpowder civilization in the game.

In fact, this problem can also be solved by changing the fire spear cavalry into a long-range or semi long-range unit.

I do like your suggestion. Maybe with the specific chosen landmark for going to castle age an additional unique unit for the Chinese can be added which either could be your wanted Cavalry Archer or Cavalry Gunman.

2 Likes

Yes, from the perspective of game balance,
Chinese archers can be designed as units that cannot be produced directly, which can be unlocked only by dynasty mechanism.

1 Like

I understand what you think, so it’s also a good idea to change the fire spear cavalry into a long-range / semi long-range unit.

Do you mean cavalry with musketts and pistols? Thats kind of out of the games timespan fór china no? I mean than all off the European countries should have that.

I think that moves the game too much into modern times territory.

If the game is designed according to historical facts, as you said before, the Chinese do not have large artillery units, then the Chinese have no means to deal with the walls and fortresses in the game… In history, the Chinese lack large artillery. On the one hand, the Chinese are peaceful and stable in East Asia. On the other hand, the main enemies of the Chinese in East Asia are the nomads in the north, such as Mongols and Manchurians. The nomads do not build walls and fortresses, so the existence of large artillery is of little significance. At that time, European countries were in constant war, and all countries were engaged in an arms race to imitate or invent more powerful gunpowder weapons.

4 Likes

And they built that great wall to protect themselves against those Mongol raids. That also made it more easy to withstand those raids coming from north-east and so needed less large artillery to defend it. Also for that reason they have the best walls in the game.

Perhaps one day there will be a new Age game that builds its civs from the ground up based on marrying realistic units and buildings to novel game design rather than assigning everyone the same core units and buildings and sprinkling a few unique units on top. But today is not that day.

Sorry, everyone. Cav archers didn’t make it into the English, so it’s not a core unit. And if it’s not a core unit, it’s a unique unit. And if it’s a unique unit, only one civ gets each kind. Bleh.

3 Likes