The curious case of AoE 4 graphics (lots of screenshots)

Not minority! Most of the players (casuals)!
Competitive players only take 3-10% of the AOE4 franchise!
90% abandoned the game due to many reasons, and one of the main issues is the lack of textures!

10 Likes

You misunderstand me.

I said “Age IV with the graphical detail of CoH 3 would require hardware basically nobody has”.

Age IV allows up to 200 per player.

CoH has “squads”, where squads take up pop cap. A five man squad might take up 5 to 12 pop cap or so (it varies).

Compared to Age IV, where a lot of infantry costs 1, and only siege and a small amount of heavier units cost more (pop cap). You also have to maintain villagers, but the army size still tends to be much larger.

But again, for the record: this doesn’t mean I don’t believe the developers can improve how Age IV looks. I want them to!

It just won’t look like CoH 3.

1 Like

every aoe did that on their engine

1 Like

Yes, and?

CoH 3 doesn’t, that was the point.

1 Like

that you are admitting that coh3 engine the same as aoe 4 uses is bad for aoe 4 as only can handle few units in high detail and th ereason why we got this graphic issue. even on coh 3 struggles as some mention earlier

2 Likes

on engine tech for aoe:
with genie and bang! the engine was specifically designed for this kind of RTS from the ground up, everything in it was made in a way that was fully optimal for how aoe itself works, with aoe4 and essence its a very different story, essence originated from older 3d engine (relic always used 3d engine for their RTS) and was made from basically ground up for squad based RTS of COH and DOW kind with resource gathering based on capturing parts of the map instead of workers gathering them, then in ig late 2016 it was decided that this engine will be used for aoe4, a fundamentally different kind of rts to what essence was designed to work with, that ofc required adjustments in many many areas, in fact for anyone wondering why aoe4 has extreme input latency for commands compared to first 3 aoe games, this is why, essence based on my observation so far isn’t directly processing these commands, the delay reminds me strongly of running a translation ahead of executing the order, smt older aoe games, due to being designed for this kind of rts from the ground up, didn’t need hence basically instant execution. basically relic did imo their best to make their engine work with rts it wasn’t initially designed for, i’d say they did well for the most part, but ofc when smt isn’t designed for specific purpose from the ground up the cracks will appear, @GorbMort could add a bit more on essence side of things, he’s the relic knowhow in this forum (more so than myself, ik programming, but lack time with relics engine)

EDIT:
(the reason i push the command translation before execution so much is due to not seeing this delay so profoundly in coh (i do own coh2 so i’m not without some sort of resource for this claim))

also at the very least we didn’t end up with engine full of shader compilation stutters (like lets say UE4)

1 Like

The person I was originally replying to was saying how well CoH 3 runs. If you want to claim it doesn’t, go and argue with them :slight_smile:

I believe the problems are more in terms of squad-vs-single-units. That’s my guess, anyhow. There are also performance concerns holding the latest versions of the engine back in some respects. DoW III felt like a fresh iteration technically but had a fixed camera angle - no rotation. Age IV and I believe CoH 3 have camera rotation back, but then the engine doesn’t deal well with things like panning at times (which is still a problem in Age IV, no idea about CoH 3).

All that said, the latency has been a thing since Essence v1. It’s never been popular, even amongst Relic game fans. It just was what it was. I barely played CoH 2 so I can’t argue against your experience with it, but I know the fanbase and the common complaints there.

Adapting the engine for something like Age would definitely be a part of the overall challenge, but I don’t think the latency is a part of that. Every person who’s played any Relic game since vCoH would be happy to see that gone. But there’ll also be a reason why it existed in the first place.

1 Like

in that case, if its not aoe4 specific, then its likely very very basement level pipeline problem, its a possibility
as for coh2, odds are it would be hard to notice due to really low framerate on that game regardless of hardware used, again, you have extra years of experience with behaviour of essence (and i guess i do with genie and bang!)

but now i’m curious, you are very specific that latency issue began with essence 1, and since you played DOW1, was it there as well or was that issue not around till COH?

1 Like

I’ve prolly played and modded more vDoW than any other Relic game (and I’ve played DoW II a literal ton). The delay didn’t exist, or at least was imperceptible compared to later titles. The DoW engine doesn’t have a name that I’ve been able to find (it’s been mistakenly called things), but it’s basically the engine they made for Impossible Creatures (after their Homeworld era).

vDoW had other issues, some of which persisted. People joke about the pathing in DoW II and CoH / 2, but it just doesn’t compare to the absolute trainwreck of a traffic jam you could easily create in vDoW. Probably related though :smiley:

I have a vague memory of why the input delay is intentional, but it does rub up against people who are used to more responsive input regardless. It’s been over a decade since DoW II, which is the last time we got proper dev input about how the games worked.

1 Like

but on aoe4 dont which affects the graph topic issue

And?

Did you ever see me saying I don’t want the graphics to be improved?

I just don’t think “make the game as detailed as CoH 3” is going to work out, and it’s not because Essence is bad or any nonsense like that.

aoe 3 de demostrated that in aoe thats the standard which aoe 4 failed and made the 90% of the player leave the game because of how bad it was made with the currenmt engine or the other one.

1 Like

I think what you’re trying to say is that AoE III: DE displays the same level of detail that CoH 3 does and, well . . . you’re welcome to that opinion, but I don’t share it.

And again, am not fussed about making you share mine. I’m happier discussing concrete improvements to Age IV, as a game I play.

if it have why it looks worse on coh3? the dev-staff problem? you get your conclusion there. Im also happy to discuss those ones

I made a comparison showing Janissaries in both AoE3 DE and AoE4 (images were taken from the editors). Janissaries in both games take up 1 pop. In addition to to the higher texture resolution in AoE3, the grass also supports shadow casting, ambient occlusion and will flatten when trod over by units.

9 Likes

Textures detailes are very very good on AOE3DE and this make me feels very sad about the AOE4’s status

9 Likes

Very sure…

Good point…

True, that latency is very annoying… there are times when my units spend 5 minutes without responding to my commands, but only in multiplayer, in single player it doesn’t happen to me and in CoH 3 that doesn’t happen to me either, only in AoE 4…

True, luckily Forgotten Empires is making the games want…

True, the same thing about the grass in AoE 4 doesn’t quite convince me…

2 Likes

Just look how well AOE3 DE janissary is holding that gun!
AOE4’s janissary hand is loose and is not holding it appropriately xD
This is how AOE4 underperforming in every possible way!

2 Likes

Just to clarify, the Janissary holds the gun correctly in-game. I used the editor because the camera can zoom in a lot closer.

If screenshots like these are not evidence of how antiquated the version of Essence we got for AoE 4 is, then I don’t know what to say. AoE 3 is like putting on a pair of glasses. It’s so clean, so sharp, so defined and contrasty. I can tell what’s wood, fabric, metal.

It’s just crazy that the exact same complaints we have for AoE4 are the things you see in the comments for CoH3.

And I’m sorry man, but I just don’t see the “amazing graphics” here. Look at the texture on that rock or the sand. It’s the same 5 pixel texture they used for AoE4’s cliffs. Have you seen cliffs up close? It’s like a 90’s 3D game.

There is a serious lack of contrast everywhere and the whole scene looks blurry. It’s all the same in the rest of screenshots and it’s not just your setup. I’ve watched a lot of content on CoH3 and it’s a repeat of AoE 4’s graphical limitations.

8 Likes