The curious case of AoE 4 graphics (lots of screenshots)

I have to hand it to you developers. The water looks gorgeous. This new material is far more subtle than the prior version, now using transparency, camera angle and object distance beneath this new surface material to create the illusion of depth far, far better. The addition of sun dappled water on the shore and the variation of wave textures comes together really well. I just have to applaud you guys for the work on this.

Even the patches of seaweed look nice now!

I tried really hard to find faults with this new visual update, and there are faults; but I want to first stress that this really was really well done and that I absolutely do not want to detract from how great this is by what I’m going to point out next.

There are only two issues I’d like to point out.

The first is that this solution unfortunately does not work too well on shallow water, as the dependency on distance renders this type of water entirely transparent, you can barely tell there is water there at all. If we look at the Marshland map for example, although the middle is not meant to be a lake nor deep water, it is still deep enough for docks and ships, and should probably look deeper than a puddle.

Here is the thing. The water itself doesn’t look bad, if you let lighting help out. Here is a video where I have rotated the map as well as lowered the camera angle. Actually looks marshy, doesn’t it?

I’m not sure how you can go about solving this, and whatever solution is chosen, I do hope it does not influence the way the main material for water currently looks, as again, it is gorgeous.

The second issue is just that rivers still use the old appearance, which did not look out of place with the old visuals for water, but does now, and it could also do with the same change of visual style. I’m going to guess this is in the works and that you guys are aware of it.

That’s all. Thank you very much for hearing our feedback on this matter. And thank you for the continued development!

10 Likes

Yes, it has improved a lot, a little marine fauna wouldn’t be bad either…

2 Likes

I noticed this in the patch notes:

Fixed a visual issue where a few Mongols buildings had misaligned textures.

But here’s actual confirmation: Reddit - Dive into anything

They fixed the longstanding issue with Mongol building textures :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also have to say that weapons using their metallic material looks so much better than the ones that light up for visibility. Varangian axes are a great example of this.

3 Likes

100% agree!

I’m hoping the rivers can receive a new texture to match the rest of the updated water in the DLC.

I’ve actually reported the following screenshot as a bug in Sultans Ascend, as the river texture isn’t even fully spawning on certain maps.

Here’s the map seed:
Mega Random: 53c45c26

I’m really hoping in some future update, the devs can program the river splines to connect to larger bodies of water that are within 10 - 12 tiles away (along with connecting to separate rivers). Not only will it look amazing, but it will offer new ways to play the game on water maps, which will be very important when they add new factions like the Danes or Venice.

@TheAchronic

Agree. Water looks better now.

Also want to point out how great little details like the animated wind that they have been adding to fabric-based buildings. First the Ger, now Japanese Dark Age barracks. Maybe Mongol production buildings next? :eyes:

3 Likes

Browsed the editor for a bit and felt Japanese had far less blurry units than Byzantines lol.

While browsing I found out that the Byzantine Limitanei actually has broken textures for Castle Age, which is what you see in the image above. Here is an image showing Limitanei’s Dark Age to Imperial from left to right. I confirmed that this was the case ingame as well.

Though Byzantine has some delightful models as well of course.

1 Like

It improved a lot…although something is still missing…

1 Like

the meme is with the unit? :eyes: they really look a lot like him, maybe the developers did it on purpose.

2 Likes

Just took this screenshot. Before and after. With reflections this iteration of water would look better, no question. But the old screenshot looks on par as they appear above.

1 Like

I don’t agree they are on par. The old water had very ordered noise for water. Even in your image, you can see the “cells”. New water has small tendral like waves as a texture, and beneath it, smaller scale and more real feeling noise for waves. It just looks more like water.

There is also a bit of a problem with your example image. Because the shadow is cast right on top of the reflection, that might lead some to believe there is more there going on than there actually is. The refleciton is pretty minimal. And dont forget, this type of tech is very expensive to render. Camera angle here doesn’t do the water justice either, as neither of these are the “neutral” stance for games. The default camera angle and lighting looks way better for the new water than it did with the old.

Would reflection add more to new water? Sure. But, I don’t think it needs to be baseline considering how laggy it was making water. I agree with making it an option would be nice for people like yourselves that seek it though.

Yes, I noticed this too. Something is off with the Byzantine assets, especially that of the Limitanei. Thankfully, none of this is noticeable with the default zoom - but I hope they circle back on this at some point for consistency.

4 Likes

The reflection in that screenshot is what’s most noticeable (vs the shadow). The shadow is almost indistinguishable.

In any case, agree to disagree. I was unhappy with the water before, but they stopped short of fixing it now, so it’s still not good. Ships without reflections appear to be hovering over the water (look at the ship on the top right, second shot), plus they don’t rock back-and-forth and when they move there’s no water disturbance.

Grab those two screenshots, show them to someone who’s not familiar with AoE4 and ask which one is the “improved” version. At best I’m sure you’ll get 50/50 responses.

I just have to comment and say one fix to this for marshland could be to just make the generated “crater” of which holds the body of water slightly deeper. This extra depth would allow the material’s colour to kick in. Wetlands features some rather shallow bodies (although you can’t walk through them) but they do look like water.

I have to note that I don’t know whether this would interfere with pathfinding (probably would). But, at least it is one type of fix that wouldn’t require further messing around with the current material for water.

Yes, very little by little the game is improving and the water is becoming more similar to that of AoE 3… but it still has a long way to go…

1 Like

Have to admire all the unique animations added this expansion. People don’t talk about animations enough, and I’m glad to see that they didn’t just reuse the standard MAA animations for some of the new units. From idle pose, to charging and attacking, Naginata and Katana wielding Samurai, Onna-Bugaisha look different and feel different to regular infantry units.

Here is hoping we eventually also get a two handed weapon wielding Knight that wields no shield. I was hoping that would be the case for Japan this time around, but maybe next time.

Also, just have to point out that the Onna-Bugaisha is set to the Stand Ground animation when idling, rather than their usual idle pose. Small thing, I know. Keep up the good work!

A simple first step could be to darken the water, like how concrete/sand is darker when damp/wet. The second step would be to add reflections. The result would look something like this:

1 Like

Yes, we finally see new, better and different animations…

would really like unique death animations for siege units, they all reuse the same poof like smoke

4 Likes