The curious case of AoE 4 graphics (lots of screenshots)

If you see first imagen of the Game yo can see that It has correct proportions. For example see this images.

Before
Urban center and barrack (well)

After
imagen

Before

After

6 Likes

thing is, at that point in time the gameplay part likely wasn’t fleshed out yet, the smaller production building size is likely from devs realizing the game is super heavy on macro and pros as well as others couldn’t get enough production buildings up to spend resources, remember aoe4 training times are super long compared to older aoe (aoe2 runs 1.7 times faster than irl clock and aoe3 despite running on irl clock like aoe4 has in general much shorter training times and batch training on top of that, also both have specific general techs and bonuses that reduce training times even further), could they redo the models to have better verticality, yes they could, although i’d prefer buildings to be bigger to fit og appearence

If we get an expansion, I do wonder how they’ll go about designing units and/or buildings for new factions - will they have a similar look to the current ones just to keep consistency, or will they be more specifically designed for their sizes now that the scale’s been locked down? Maybe units will have a bit more detail since the devs know now that their models are bigger and more visible, and buildings will be redesigned to suit their new size.

(And if we go pure hopium, maybe they’ll go back at some point and redesign some of the old ones as well. But I’d guess that’s a ways off, if it ever happens.)

1 Like

honestly i don’t expect any major graphical changes and think its more likely they’ll continue current style

Devs should fix this point because is something that does not be good. The stable’s Horse couldnt to enter in its own stable.

1 Like

having hard time deciding whats looks worse here, stable being comedically small, or horse being a statue

2 Likes

imo, the xo19 graphics in 99% worked really well, building scale made sense, the only thing that is actually better
in current version is unit scale, causing units to be bigger, thus making it more in line with classics

2 Likes

The buildings before were too big. But they could have adapted them a little, bigger doors, etc …

In the case of barracks and stables,… that these buildings were especially dwarfed would have to be redesigned further.

2 Likes

Sure, the maps look like postcard images of how good they look…

And well it’s a matter of tastes and perspectives…

Yes, plus CoH 2 looks great and I would even tell you that it looks better than AoE 4 being a 2013 game against a 2021 game…

1 Like

This is NOT taste, no even a biased, it is just black and white that I cannot locate units in AOE3DE

How? Why?
Got AoE III soon after worldwide release, same with 3DE, spent some time on various forms and never seen an accusation of this type.

The only issues that come to my mind is maybe selecting a building in a few cases where they are populated with vills, like community plaza or maybe some plantation, but that’s a different thing.

What’s even the issue? Scale? I’d say it’s prolly in AoE2 range.
Even when you use ‘super zoom’ option I’d rather easy to get your bearings, or whatever’s the phrase. Usually, you don’t play with that special, max zoom, certainly don’t have to. And even then many maps are super readable

Vegetation on a few maps is lush but one would have to go their way to deliberately scatter single units between trees etc. And for most maps the amount of shrubs is not exceptional, even in 3DE.

I try to remember but can’t come up with a situation where someone was lost. Maybe on bigger maps units like Dutch Envoy I sent to scout around the maps, and since iirc he’s classified as non-military, trying to select him in a busy, big map is problematic since I have the option that makes drag-box selection pick up only military units.
So without him being hotkeyed it can take a moment or two. But even then he’s a scout, and after initial exploration I don’t think there a critical role for him, besides being a frontline scout, a mobile ‘watchtower’ to spot enemy movement.

Compared with classic, lush OG American lands, some of the newer fan favorites like Arabia almost feel extremely sterile and clean.
To counter it there are of course more busy ones like Black Forest added in recent expansion, but even there ground is rather clean and distinction between it and tree line rather normal.

Max zoom in photo mode on Arabia:

6 Likes

Now in 2022 games needs to look like garbage because a few, ( a very few) minority can’t read the game lol, we are going backwards instead of moving forward, some people ignore the fact that age lll also have pro players and some of then also play age IV, the so clarity thing was a excuse for relic to made the game “playable” for very old computers when today every one has a video card if someone don’t, they don’t have money to buy age IV.

2 Likes

Good point…I’ve still seen that the engine of aoe 4 is very under-used and that touching a little the lighting would look a little better,is my opinion of course…

Sure, they would have to allow you to touch the lighting for AoE 4 to look like this:

4 Likes

Of course I wouldn’t have said it better…

1 Like

Can’t agree you more. These are the keys, and with story-telling campaigns, that AOE2 built larger user base. Not all people want to eSport after a tiring working day. I watch eSport sometimes for entertainment but I prefer to enjoying my beautiful medieval world with AI.

1 Like

Yes, I’m hyped by CoH 3 and Tempest Rising…

Exactly, it looks weird… it looks like pixelated and I have it all in high graphics…

Yes, the Essence engine in AOE 4 is super underutilized…

Yes, it’s a question of getting used to it…