The future of Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

My point is, is it helpful or meaningful to the game to waste a lot of attention debating something that is firmly represented in the game and clearly rejected by the developers? Especially when there are still so many potential candidates who haven’t yet had a place in the game?

You can see how many threads had flowed into arguing about the split. I worry the community’s tendency to debate these matters has the risk to bury other, more beneficial discussions.

You misinterpreted my meaning. My focus is on attitude.

One can hope that the developers bring more or less desired content in the future. But blaming the developers for not making it is unhelpful and sometimes unpleasant. Perhaps the burden of these tasks is not as huge as imagined, but is it appropriate for us to blame or condemn them? They are the ones who work, and they are the ones who are responsible for the revenue performance, not us. If the desired content is not adopted, we can be disappointed, or even quit the game, but I think it is too much to condemn it as the developer’s “fault”, after all, these are not the obligation. Their real obligation is to make sure paid content works properly (eg no bugs), maintains balance as much as possible and pursues a better gaming experience (eg less lagging, better localization translations, etc.), not to add whatever the players want. Some people have made me feel like they think what the game should be like and selfishly think that devs who don’t or other players who disagree are wrong or hypocritical.

2 Likes

Hi replying here from New Zealand, I noticed back in the day there was a Maori Civ in Wars of Liberty thats looked cool. Would be interesting to see if they do some Polynesian civs.
The history fits in nicely with the game as there were some big battles between Maori tribes aided by British influence that is known as the musket wars.

4 Likes

There have been a few suggestions for them put forward:

4 Likes

I guess the true future of Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is some god-of-mod judging what people are allowed to want huh.

5 Likes

What I mean that it could be clicked on the revolution tab as Prussian Hegemony, Prussian expansion, assimilation or whatever you want, for a cheap way to include Prussia.

I’m not an expert on the crazy history of the gazillino numbers of HRE and they relation with each other or Prussia, but no need to talk like that

Nobody owes you nothing, only respect, but man you lose it here. Not knowing about something doesn’t mean that is a stupidity, just lack of knowledge. We are here to discuss and learn.

2 Likes

That split was also way more popular because the original civ’s design (as the majority of civs released in The Forgotten expansion, though not nearly to the same degree) was considered to be quite bad, unlike the design for Germans in AOE3.

3 Likes

I am against the German propaganda of the 1930s and 1940s, which says that Austrians are Germans. It is a different nation with its own culture and history that is very vast and interesting. As a dynasty, the Habsburgs were masters of family longevity and political decisions. Thanks to the marriage configuration, the Austrian Habsburg dynasty took over the lands of Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Silesia (before the Poles planned to regain these areas - Polish King Casimir the Great was the closest, but as a result of an accident he died just before the planned war to regain the province as his Polish dynasty legacy) and later the year 1526 came (the Habsburgs took these areas because Louis I of Hungary died shortly after the Battle of Mohács against the Ottoman troops of Suleiman the Magnificent) and the Czechs who had seized them went to Austria . I believe that Austria was a different country from Germany in many respects, not only the multinationality of the inhabitants of the kingdom. Same language as Germany, but there are many differences, As for the “german speaking people” in game Age of Empires 3, I offer the following scenarios:

A) Add Austria as a brand new faction and give Germany more aspects of Prussia (they were the strongest German faction).
B) Add Austria, rename Germany to Prussia and rework the faction.
C) Add Austria, Prussia, Saxony and remove “Germans” as a faction
D) Add Austria, Prussia, Saxony and rename “Germany” to “German States” (there were many other German factions for example Westphalia, Bavaria and others).

The developers said a few years ago that they don’t want Austria and Prussia? They also didn’t want to add faction culture packs to AOE 2: DE, but when people wanted to and then bought it, it came out as many Dlc and there will probably be more of them. So I think if people want it, the developers will do something about Austria and Prussia. Btw, I hope they also remake Slavs to Kievan Rus in Age of Empires 2 DE. Regards!

2 Likes

Why would it be a bad idea if people are willing to pay for it? We already have almost anachronistic civilizations such as the Aztecs and Incas, or civilizations of colonial origin that in principle were only extensions of European countries, and their independence occurred almost outside the range of the time that AOE3 tries to represent.

As some have already mentioned, dividing Germany would not be 2 new civilizations, in practice it would only be one, and “Germany” would have minimal changes. So basically there wouldn’t be a split, just a name change, plus a new civilization.

I like how every thread on this forum ultimately develops into German-Austria civ discussion, as if any non-Germans would really care…

2 Likes

I like how you demean every discussion about this, one could come to the conclusion that you don’t have an argument and are just envious.

But for the record, splitting off Austria would make 0 sense, and Gosling is wrong, the whole austria is not german is actually after WW2. Before that Austira had the emperor and was the hegemon of the germans.

It further also was for a long time clear that the bohemians were german. Nevertheless, splitting out Austria would allow for representation of middle and eastern europe, but more accuratly one could split out Prussia which also had half of it’s land in Poland as a polish #######
Which incidentally would also lead the way for the PLC to be ingame, which it frankly should be. Arguably even before russia since russia wasn’t relevant until the lat e18th century in regards to european affairs.

There’s also a far easier way to achieve an better german civ, by implementing the whole states system from mexico and the USA. With the 1848 revolution as a revolt option.

5 Likes

Yes, indeed. Its mostly non-germans/austrians arguing for the split. I dont know many germans/austrians at this forum, and none of them are in those discussions

2 Likes

So Mexico and Aztecs are totally diffrent but Habsburg Empire and Prussians or Bavaria are the same. Ehhh… Defending Vienna in 1683 as Germans , fighting in battles of Silesian Wars as Germans vs Germans , Using Austrian units in the battles like Leuthen and Rossbach , Battle of Austerlitz with France , Russian , Germans , Battle of Sadowa as Germans vs Germans again. Sick.

2 Likes

No the former are not the same because Mexico, and this may annoy mexicans, shares far more with the viceroyality of Spain and consequently spain than the aztecs. That is because there is no unbroken chain of continuation of state organisation. That doesn’t mean that they don’t trace parts of their culture back to the aztecs and mayans though, especially in regards to religion synkretism is a massive thing in catholicism. But in state structure and law it’s clearly spainish colonial rule with all the issues of that, that dominate mexican state culture and the reactions to it in mexico.

Otoh the HRE or “Sacrum Imperium Romanum Nationis Germaniae” as the official name since the 15th century has a unbroken chain of continuacy of itslef and the states within more or less since the 15th century as a form of a state.

It isn’t a modern nation state as you understand it, it represents a culture with “subcultures” and in the case of the HRE that included northern italians up until the 15th century, swiss (which themselves split up into subcultures), southern germans (bavarians, swabians etc.) middle, northern germans and yes even bohemians. Which all fought to some degree for dominance of their specific subpart of culture. But they do understand themselves as more or less one until 45. (you can especially see this in 18-19 where Deutsch-Österreich wanted to join germany which versailles explicitly forbade and technically is a breach of Wilsons 14 points but that is a whole other debate.)

And they share laws and culture to a degree, that doesn’t mean that they didn’t fight with each other, for dominance, culture etc. but they have a common organisational form and understanding until the HRE get’s dissolved and then in a loser form reintroduced. Only when nation and culture get tied together with blood in germany then certain groups start to really distance themselves, like the bohemians or the swiss which define their nation not along ethnic lines or trace them to a diffrent ethnicity.

With the progression of the 17th and 18th century , yes, the austrian empire had an “awakening” of it’s peoples that were outside of the empire. But again from slovenia to czechia everything still was “german” in a cultural sense. And since we are talking about a confederacy of states along somewhat cohesive cultural lines and laws doesn’t make the fact that their armies didn’t 1:1 reflect each other relevant at all.
Also the whole ammount of napoleonic battles you brought up? yeah those, do you want to know the backdrop of that? Yeah those were called Befreiungskriege, and did include things like Freikorps, volunteers, do you know to whom they swore loyality? To the fatherland not the king in prussia, not the emperor, but for “germany”.

So just as much as you can split the “germans” into prussians and austrians (and that is hardly accurate because it misses the vast swaaths of volunteers against napoleon from all over middle europe) so too can you use germans in that sense there.

1 Like

Actually im not sure if the Germans/Austrian even care about that. I don’t know who really care or how many players care about the civ split thing… I only observed that every thread ultimately goes to German split discussion which really baffled me.

It’s starting to bother me too. Some guys claim that some formalities from the Middle Ages are binding on Germany and Austria. They don’t understand that things have changed over time. Not only in the Austrians and Germans themselves, but also the state of “Austria” has taken over many other nations like Slovenians , Czechs , Slovaks , Croats, Hungarians , Romanians and others. It deserves to sort out this issue in a year or two from now. But they are stubborn and talk the same. Just like the fact that in 2019 Developers they said something… They also said that they won’t release too many faction packs for AOE 2 and what?..

Silesian Wars commanded on the Prussian side by Frederick The Great aren’t Civil Wars. That was a conflict between two factions partly related but increasingly different. I’m not the only one who thinks so. Total Wars splitting Austria and Prussia. Other games like Cossacks for example too.

1871 Austria and Germany broke even the last contractual issues 100%. It’s still the era of the game since even the Battle of Little Big Horn of 1876 was shown and fans would like to extend the period of the game with new content for example to 1900 or 1905. Regards.

2 Likes

Really, 1871. let’s ingore the vast swaath of the era of the game before in favour of 34 years? Which again culturally isn’t even accurate later on as is verifyable and has been pointed out to you?

Whilest AoE 3 starts around what, according to the wiki in 1492, which would ammount to 379 years? That is a more than a factor of 10 / 1.

Also lol wars for the inheritance aren’t “civil wars”, no they are wars about inheritance and the rightfull claim for the crown of the empire of germans, because they are wars that fall into the “Erbfolgekrieg” category and were justified as such.

And total war? ETW, falls within the 18th century and depicts the Erbfolgekrieg. But that doesn’t dissolve the fact that Age doesn’t represent history accurate but rather bases it’s civilisation around culturalgroups.
Whilest Total war bases it’s game on the state structures that are actually around at that time period.
And state structures are famously not bound to cultural structures.

1 Like

Brazil was founded in 1822. So most of the AOE 3 DE era misses it … And yet many people, including me, want it in the game. They also forget about it because you have a different opinion?

Ps. AOE 3 doesn’t start in 1492 genius… Convistadors are in AOE 2

2 Likes

The difference being that brazil would be classifyable as a similar case as mexico and the us to a degree.

However Brazil in the context of AoE 3 could also be served better via an actual portuguese rework not whatever we got now. And an implementation of Brazil would not resolve the issues with portugal either way.

also: just for fun:

If you want an actually decent representation of “germany” you’d have to adopt a state choice, better ruler/ mariage choice for an age up, and a far more decent roster of units to boot instead of roster that switches from 16th into 18th without anything inbetween.

You’d have to add in the “Kaiserliches Heer” und the “Reichsheer” unit rosters which recruited all over the empire, and into hungary in the case of the former.

1 Like

I don’t want to talk about Austria and Germany anymore. I have already said many things about this. If the Developers want to, they will make a division someday, and if not, then not. I am for the first option. Time will tell. I dont’ want to bother anyone with it. And so the question of Habsburg Austria, if it is added and Germans changed into Germany, it will be possibly in 2025/2026. If for You still the differences for example in the 19th century between Saxons and Prussians were the same as, for example, Bavarians and Austrians, I probably won’t change it anyway.

2 Likes

austro-hungaria and prussia are just some of those overhyped countries like byzantium or rome… there will always be some fans that are determined to recreate their wildest alternative-history fantasies (as with most countries in aoe tbh)

3 Likes