The game has connection lag after a few minutes into the match, unlags, then freezes and disconnects in multiplayer

Game Version: 101.101.34793.0

• Build (4597979)
  • Steam

Issue:

Ever since the last patch, the game has been freezing and then disconnecting most of the time when I’m on a multiplayer game. This doesn’t seem to happen every time, but it does happen most of the time.
The game first appears to have connection lag (Nothing moves, but I can still pan the camera around and select stuff), then after a few seconds the lag is gone and everything goes super fast trying to catch up. After the super fast thing is over, the game then freezes and if I leave it for a few minutes It’ll unfreeze and disconnect me from the match. Worth noting that my connection runs without a problem during this. No lags or anything.
This didn’t happen before the last patch, and the game runs without problems hardware wise (60fps most of the time, I’ve got a Ryzen 5 1600, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1050ti)

Reproduction Steps:

1. Start a mutliplayer game (Can be 1v1 or anything, doesn’t matter)
  2. Eventually, the game will appear to have connection lag (No units move or work)
  3. The game should unlag after a while. Everything will be moving very fast for a short while.
  4. The game will then freeze. Music will still play, and it will appear to unfreeze for very short intervals.
  5. After a few minutes, the game will unfreeze and disconnect you from the match.

*This does not happen every match, but it appears to happen around 70% of the time.

3 Likes

I have the same problem. Been happening for a week now. Previously had fewer problems but still there. Since the update I have experienced lag or disconnect in approximately 60% of games.

I have don’t the performance test with a benchmark score of 1048 or better Murillo ever times and still have problems with online play.

101.101 Game Version:

• Build (34793)
  • Platform (Steam)

Scenario: My friend and I play vs AI in 6v6 and 4v4 games. Basically just the 2 of us vs and with AI. We run the game in adequate PCs, (one with 16GB RAM and another one with 12GB). Video Cards are fine and we’ve played a LOT of AOE2:DE games before with these PCs. We’re both from Southern California and use the westus2 server (Ping is green at around 120).

Issue: We are consistently out of sync (the game basically slows down and then speeds up) Until eventually the delay between my click and when my command actually happens is 20 seconds apart while the game continues progressing. This makes hunting boars impossible because you can’t run back to your TC.

1 Like

Game Version:

• Build 101.101.34793.0 4597979 (I verified the file integrity with steam on both machines)
  • Platform: Steam

Issue:

This is a new issue since the patch. I encounter it most often playing Deathmatch on Steam or LAN with another human player against Hard or Extreme AIs with Mongols. As a software engineer I know there’s a lot of things that can cause lag, but I strongly suspect it’s a bug for the following reasons:

1. It goes away if you save and restore the game, that strongly indicates it’s not some network or other computer issue just coinciding with the game.
  2. Stopping trade, deleting units, defeating players does not affect the lag, once it starts it will not stop until the game ends, no matter what’s going on in the game.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Multiplayer, Deathmatch, against Hard or better AI. Go Mongols and make lots of siege and mangudai. Lag starts about 15 minutes in (wall clock time). I don’t know yet if it happens with other civs or types of games.

I have a saved game from about 30 seconds after the lag starts, but it’s gone once you load it. Let me know if you want it.

Was there any update? I haven’t played for about 5 days ago, and the game I remember was flowing smoothly, it was a pleasure to play it, but now it goes with much lag. Will there be any updates that fix the lag finaly?

Not only multi player, also in a single player there is an important lag.

Hi there! Several other players ran into similar issues and were able to solve it by enabling V-Sync in game.

If you are still running into lagging issues, can you give this a try?

I hope it works! If not reply back and we can work on other stesps.