The most useless unique techs in AOE2 DE

Agree with most of the things you’ve mentioned except Andean sling and Detinet. That’s a good upgrade for maps where map control is essential. Slavs being a siege civ with good infantry can benefit a lot from this tech. Its not a very strong or top-15 unique techs but its quite decent imo.

Its still ok for some niche situations where you face 2-handed swords or champs without last armor. Again not a tech that’s very useful like the other meso skirm techs but not a complete waste of resources like Medical corps either.

To this list, I’d add the Malians one as well. The tc fires by default thing.

Yes. It’s not that good. It’s more of a michi tech to save space. Mongols are pretty strong as they are.

Yes but they are not outranged by crossbowmen or Mangonels anymore. This is a defensive tech. It’s a weaker version of what Teutons used to have in one of the earlier versions of the game.

Elite skirmishers have 35 HP. Slingers got 40 HP. Some people have the habit of microing archers within the Skirmisher’s minimum range and then, attacking. This kinda prevents that.

They do work in ranked but yeah, kinda useless in general.

Well, I can agree on this one as well.

It’s awesome.

#1. The Chinese are one of the few civilizations to even get bombard towers and on top of that, fully upgraded ones… and don’t forget : those techs are discounted for the Chinese

#2. Except for the Turks, Koreans (free upgrade, treadmill crane), Italians (cheaper university upgrades), Spanish (30% faster building), there aren’t a lot of civilizations that can even compete. Their Bombard Towers have more HP than the Byzantine ones.

I agree here. it should be a civ bonus rather than a tech. If it’s a civ bonus, it can also help a monk rush a bit.

Agreed. No bracer, no architecture either. It would actually have some synergy for the Britons because they get all defensive techs except Bombard tower and would make Yeomen towers more powerful.

Agreed

It’s useful in a post imp scenario, yes. It gives you something that makes your Mangonels and Trebs above average. Saracen Trebs can now compete with British, Japanese, Celtic and Hun trebuchets.

Dude.

#1. It lets them castle drop just like the Franks which lets them secure a lot of area
#2. It lets them spam their unique unit… which is a very powerful unit. It has 3+4 pierce armor now… which is actually quite strong.

Most of them seem to have just a numbers’ issue.

Except Nomads. It’s conceptually flawed.

3 Likes

I’m curious how are numbers going to fix the Lithuanians tech?

Lithuanians are already a top civilization and don’t need anything stronger.

Not every UT has to be El Dorado/Szlachta Privileges OP level.

6 Likes

Make it infinite range so TCs can snipe units in the enemy base. : P

1 Like

Most useless tech: Atheism
Second most useless tech: Mahayana

If people used your logic all good civs would have useless unique techs - obviously this is flawed logic.

Having a good balance and having “playable unique techs” are two separate issues.

That is circular logic. If a civ already has one UT which makes it exceptionally powerful, it can have the other to be useless. A good civ can be good because of their UT. Poles would be significantly weaker without Szlachta privileges, for example. If a civ is good already, and you give them a powerful UT, it might push them into broken territory.

Everything could be balanced bruh. Except some UTs that are just beyond fixing.

At the moment some civs have just one technology because the other one is completely useless.
If we are going to have UTs at all they better not be useless.

They have made some good changes related to UTs and they are keep working on this so hopefully this will get resolved at some point.

1 Like

I would argue the opposite, actually. If a civ is good without a good UT, that’s better for them. This is because getting a UT requires you spend at least a thousand resources and a lot of time.

So for example, japanese 33% faster attacking infantry is usually better than garland wars, or wootz steel. You have it from dark age, and it is available without needing any additional expenditure.

I think that having a good UT is cool, and it feels good getting that castle up and seeing how well you are doing. Or if researching that UT turns the tide of a difficult situation.

But balancing these things are extremely hard sometimes, and I’d rather have more balance overall than balance in UTs.

Balancing any game is hard but having useless placeholder techs is also sub-optimal.

Everyone in this thread wants to see some improvement - that would be lovely.

As for your example both Japanese and Aztecs are in perfect balance at the moment. The Japanese tech Kataparuto is a bit useless but in some rare cases it could do some work and it’s fun.

1 Like

Look, we agree on these things, broadly speaking. I think that the only contention is what to address first. So, I’m saying that Incas, Dravidians, and Celts need some changes to their UTs first. Could you improve Lithuanian UT? Sure. Is it something to prioritize rn? Probably not.

1 Like

if u arent using everything in the universe correctly as a meatwall hinge for mangudai and rams ur kinda missing the point. great tech