The Napoleonic Wars - European DLC propose

the most realistic option for Denmark would be “Great people”, so like great generals, politicians, scientist, admirals and artist.

different things do different things:

admirals: sends ships, pretty boring.

politicians: short term economic boost, so like crates or villagers

Generals: a small number of a specific unit and a buff along specifically for that unit

Scientist: special “buildings”, abilities or a new upgrade, as an example if you age to age 2 with Tycho Brahe you get an observatory that passively generates experience.

Artist: experience or shipments, could also be something else mechanically i guess.

2 Likes

That’s what I meant. If the Italians civ were to be included in the colonial power group, their Age Up mechanics would have to be similar to the rest of those civs (but could have a reference to Italian States rather than standard Politicians).

Possibly all European civs would gain refreshed politicians (only visual changes + descriptions). In this way, civs such as the British, Italians, Ottomans, and Spaniards would choose States (empires consisting of many states), and civs such as the Dutch, Portuguese, Danes, and Swedes would be chosen by Politicians (empires consisting of few states).

I would like Italians to have Age Up mechanics like in African civs, but you said yourself that Italians civ should be considered a colonial power (European civ with mechanics present) and not a continental power (European civ with mechanics proposed by me).

You could do a bit of spicing up the Italians civ by unlocking unique HC cards during Age Up. They would allow you to train Unique Units, Building ?, Upgrades, etc.

The Italians’ civ would be a fusion of the politicians’ mechanics with the federal states’ mechanics. You choose one of the five Italian countries during Age Up and thus unlock 2 HC cards (unit, building, mechanic, bonus, etc.) + traditional shipment (but 25% smaller). A HC card from Age Up (Italian country selection) containing a Unique Unit would unlock the ability to train this unit.

If the Danish civ were to be called Denmark-Norway then there would be no need to do the same Age Up mechanics as the Italians civ for them. It was basically an empire inhabited by Danes and Norwegians - other peoples were too small to count in AoE 3 (Iceland, Faroe Islands and Greenland).

They established Folwark’s where local peasants worked. Anyway, in those days the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was called the “Granary of Europe” precisely because of the fertile Ukrainian soils.

Courland (vassal state of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) had overseas colonies on the island of Tobago (Antilles) and in Gambia (western Africa). Of course, the overseas lands of the Polish vassal were too small to be defined as a colonial empire. Here is such a little curiosity.

The Germans (I count HRE and Prussia here - without Austria) did not create a colonial empire until unification in 1871.

Austria had overseas trading points. It can’t be called a colonial empire, but I think it’s a nice curiosity.

It is worth noting that united Germany and united Italy became colonial powers only at the end of the 19th century - Belgium too.

So the case of the Civ Italians is complicated but I would prefer to include them among the non-colonial powers. Let the Italians civ be more continental. Italy, Germany, and Belgium are colonial empires that fall outside the AoE 3 timeframe - this would be more suited to AoE in the Victorian Era.

Exactly. I am of the same opinion. Potentially, the mechanics of Politicians could be more attractive, e.g. visually adjusted to each European (colonial power) civ.

well and Germans. plus the colonial possessions but eh.

Denmark did not have Germany X DDD

I only meant continental states like constituent countries of the United Kingdom (England, Italy, Scotland and Ireland) or Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire (e.g. Constantinople Vilayet, Danube Vilayet, Baghdad Vilayet and Syria Vilayet).

The Danish Empire was not as diversified with the administrative division as, for example, the Ottoman Empire and the United Kingdom.

I wasn’t clear.

Italians should use the states, just call them “signorie”, instead of “comuni”. And by like the african civs, I meant that when you chose an age up, it’s substitute by another one for the next age, not like the Asian civs that when you choose a wonder, the next age up you are limited by the 4 wonders remaining.

Yeah that’s what I meant, it would be a stretch, but not completely wrong.

Holstein and parts of Schleswig were German, and had a population of around 500k by 1820.

Italians civ would be like USA civ - each Age Up has different countries to choose from, e.g. only at age 3 Venice would be available and Papal States would only be available at age 1. Each Age Up would have 5 Italian States to offer (potentially also Albania, Dalmatia and Greek possessions of Venice).

Exactly.

I forgot about that. Thanks for the correction :blush:

But even with Schleswig-Holstein, that would not be enough for that.

It wouldn’t work…

I already tried, and you’ll end up scratching the bottom of the barrel.

It’s better to follow a mix of the US and african civs, having states to age up, but with always the same states, plus one added with the age ups.

Of course, if a state hasn’t been chosen, the next age up it’ll offer more.

1 Like

Overall better less but better.

Instead of many States to choose from, a better solution would be one similar to the Alliance mechanics for African civs.

An example of the Italian countries jackpot to choose from during Age Up:

1. Papal States
  2. Savoy
  3. Milan
  4. Florence
  5. Venice
  6. Genoa
  7. Naples
  8. Sicily
1 Like

if,at most it would be 15-20 maps at most covering large areas of territory:

1)Iberian Peninsula 2)British Islands 3)French countryside 4)Alps 5)Tuscany 6)Lazio (in the king hill mode with Rome in the center of the map) 7)Sicily 8)Corcega and Sardinia 9)Benelux 10)Ruhr 11)Rhine River 12)Black Forest 13)Scandinavia 14)Central European Plains 15)Carpathian Mountains 16)Balkans 17)Black Sea 18)Urals 19)Anatolia and 20) Mediterranean Sea

And the minor native peoples would be 5:Catalans,Basques,Walloons,Bavarians and Slavs;the maps that do not have european native peoples (e.x. British Islands,the maps of Italy,Scandinavia,Anatolia -this map would have two sufi mosques- and Mediterranean Sea) will have a trade route,except for the Black Forest that will have neither of the two and would be like the map of the napoleonic era mod…

1 Like

Tuscany and Lazio are very similar geographically speaking.

The Venice lagoon, the padania plane or the appenine would be more original.

Maybe even some Aegean islands, or like crete.

scandinavia is a pretty large area with vastly different geographic depending if you are in justland, northern norway or the forrest of scania.

Yes,although they would be similar maps,Tuscany would have plains and valleys to the north while Lazio would have plains crossed by the Po River and with Rome in the center of the map,but it would be only aesthetic only…then the Balkans I put it to be a mountainous region to the west,forested to the north and center of the map,the east with access to the Black Sea and to the south with some Greco-Roman ruins,which may have treasures that refer to aoe 1 DE and that has Slavic villages distributed around the entire map…then the Aegean islands or Crete can be another map with their respective treasures…

Yes it would be like the map of aoe 2 or it would be a diagonal map with a trade route in the center of the map,the North Sea to the west of the map and the Baltic Sea to the east of the map…with forests distributed by the map and some small islands in both seas with silver and gold mines and treasures referencing Erik the Red and the historic battle of Vindlandsaga of aoe 2…

id rather they just make 3-5 Scandinavian maps, here are some ideas:

Scania, heavily forested map with smaller fordable rivers running through the center of the map, to the east lies a a sea with a couple of big island and a naval trade routes which connects to both the land and the the islands.

Jutland, a map with widely differing geografi, some parts have grass and some parts are dunes, sporadic forests are found.

Iceland, a map made up mostly of volcanic soil and glaciers to the north, very few trees, instead ever player gets a grove wagon. the southern half of the map is ocean that is full of fish and wales with an extra lucrative trade ship passing through.

Fjelds, northern Norway as a map, mountainous terrain, small pockets of water with fish and plenty of trees and berries.

Lapland, northern Sweden, heavily forested in the west, plenty of hunts and mines.

1 Like

I think it’s fine,but I don’t know if they could make so many maps of Scandinavia,having to make maps of all of Europe…

1 Like

The Po’ doesn’t cross Lazio, is way too north…

Well change it then for the Tiber River…

1 Like

You have to see it from another perspective.
If AOE-4 is successful, interest in the AOE saga and RTS in general will be aroused. Of course it would be expensive, but it would be very nice. Many of us expected full campaigns on Africa, but it did not happen because perhaps it is not of much interest (for many). Europe on the other hand draws much more attention, and dealing with the Napoleonic wars as the central argument for expansion, it would be almost like selling a new game. Personally I think that if they decided to invest in this it would give them good returns and would make the mass of players grow.

1 Like