The New Boyar Vs Best Paladins?

How does the new (and POST IMP) Boyar fair vs these two units in a 1v1 fight? Full Reliced Lithuanian Paladin, or the Teuton’s Paladin.

Since it seems it received the buff due to these two units. The Elite Boyar now has 8 base melee armor.

full relic lithuanian paladin it comes down to who attacks first. both require 14 attacks to win.
Teuton Paladin - Boyar is going to do 11 damage a swing, requiring 17 attacks to win, while a Teuton Paladin is going to do 7 damage a swing requiring 22 attacks to win.

5 Likes

Yeah… don’t like this type of power creep in the game :S I mean thankfully the usual counters still work against the Boyar but still

5 Likes

The whole point of the Boyar is to be heavily armored at melee combat

13 Likes

Indeed, that it already was. I just don’t like it when units keep getting slightly better and better and edging the previous category tier out. It’s usually not a good sign when that starts happening for the future. Seen it in many other games already.

4 Likes

Well to be fair UU should be better at something than the generic unit similar yo them… otherwise they are not worth it.

In this situation boyar will be better in melee

Coustilliers are better at raiding or killing archers

Leitis are better facing heavy armored one

Etc etc

3 Likes

Totally agree with that point.
Boyars are already fine UU and there are plenty of other underused UU and other plenty of not-well performing civ. I really doubt that change was necessary. It shows that devs consider too much about opinions on this forum.

Normal counter like Halbs will still be work. But now Boyars become fairly good against Camel, they now neglect all base attack of Camels. We can now see more lopsided matchup against some civs.

Slavs used to have 15% higher farming rate instead of 10% … i think it will be fine.

4 Likes

I tested vs all camels, and camels still win pretty fairly, an ordinary one is left with 5HP, but remember… Camels are cheaper and wayyyy easier to mass, of all camels the best one to counter them is the saracen one.

3 Likes

Camels are amazing, I wonder why people don’t use them all that often.

1 Like

E. Boyar had 9 melee armor previously.
It took to die (FU units):
17 hits from Paladin
8 hits from Heavy Camel Rider
7 hits from Imperial Camel
13 hits from E. Teutonic Knight/Aztec Champion/Aztec EEW
5 hits from Halberdier
7 hits from Pikeman/Malian Heavy Camel Rider
19 hits from Inca/Mayan E. Eagle Warrior and regular FU Champion
14 hits from Burmese Champion
12 hits from Viking Champion/Lithuanian Paladin with 4+ relics

NOW instead it will take (in bold changed values):
22 hits from Paladin
8 hits from Heavy Camel Rider/Malian H. Camel Rider (was 7 from Malian before)
8 hits from Imperial Camel
15 hits from E. Teutonic Knight/Aztec Champion/Aztec EEW
5 hits from Halberdier
7 hits from Pikeman
25 hits from Inca/Mayan E. Eagle Warrior and regular FU Champion
17 hits from Burmese Champion
14 hits from Viking Champion/Lithuanian Paladin with 4+ Relics

So the big losers here are obviously champions, eagle warriors and will be also hit the Indian Imperial Camel Rider which will require an additional hit as well as the Malian Heavy Camel Rider, and of course other heavy cavalry like Paladins.
No changes at all for counters like pikemen/halberdiers and regular Heavy Camel Riders.

2 Likes

because they are too bad against buidlings. Cavalry destroys an entire town in few min.

1 Like

more like they aren’t good vs non cavalry in general.
camels have their place though.

1 Like

The biggest change is that Elite Boyars will need to take 150 hits from Hussars (non-malian). I guess +2 is too strong, reduce it to +1. Remember Elite Boyars get a pierce armor advantage too, which ETK don’t get.

2 Likes

They cost gold. Massed Halberdiers beat them with ease. Battle Elephants still beat them. So, they are fine.

It can be broken too. Boyars cost +5G compared to Knights. Try to think like this. Battle Elephants are another brute force but slow units, while Boyar is definitely not a slow unit.

but then again ETK has more Melee armor, costs more, and oh, the Boyar still loses to the pike line. tell me, how does the ETK do against trash units?

1 Like

While Boyar haw disadvantages against Halbs and Camels, the TK has disadvantages against archers and siege.

1 Like

notice the difference there?

also i laugh at your reasoning for saying this

because frankly speaking - the Hussar also only deals 1 damage to the ETK.

2 Likes

Not to mention massed archers will simply melt Boyars. Boyars are only very good in melee combat. Slavs in general suffer terribly fighting archer civs.