The new range indicators don't account for building size and are therefore inaccurate

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.47820.0 6624001
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

The new built-in range indicators released in the current patch do not accurately reflect the range of larger buildings since they do not take the building’s width into account. The indicators are always circles, even though the actual range is a rounded rectangle.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

This is always present.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

1. Place a castle, krepost, or garrisoned TC with the range mod on.
  2. Have an opponent move a unit just out of the range indicator so that the closest part of the building is a corner. You will notice that the building can still fire at the unit.
  3. Have an opponent move a unit just within the range indicator circle so that the closest part of the building is the middle of an edge of its foundation. You will notice that the building cannot fire at the unit, even though the unit is within the range indicator circle.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

The true range of a building is represented by a rounded rectangle shape. This is what it looks like in the Age of Mandala mods, of which I’m sure you are aware.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

This unit is outside of the range indicator but is being shot by the castle.

While this unit is inside of the range indicator but cannot be hit by the castle (he took some shots while getting into position, though).

Notice how in the original Age of Mandala mod, the range is a rounded rectangle, reflecting the true arrow range of the town center in this case.

I would like to mention that our modding community works without pay and out of pure love of the game. While I am glad that the best ideas from the community are being integrated into the stock game, I hope the developers can demonstrate their appreciation for the mods they’re replicating by getting the details right.

15 Likes

How come modders are better at this than full time paid professional developers? Lol

1 Like

Yep, same