This is a very long post I apologies in advance if you want the tldr just head down to the stars **** or read about Macemen if you want a good laugh.
The Inca civ is basically a glass cannon civ, without the cannon, most of its units have far lower hp and damage then similar units of other civs. you want to know why we use Harakas and stronghold well read on.
Jungle bows: imperial hp is only 180 even a Cassador has more hp, higher damage and multipliers. JB also only do 1.75 bonus damage vs heavy inf or 2.75 if you waste a card slot. Musks can literally trade with jungle bows when their out in the open, so the literal unit they were designed to counter. And you may say they have poison, well +5 damaged does not equal a x3 multiplier and actual health.
Plumed spears: Imperial hp is only 340. This is Incas one saving grace a unit with average damage and actual hp however the next closest unit the Halberdier has 380hp with higher damage, in general I have no complains with this unit.
Chimus: imperial hp is only 280. Coyote runners have 310 Chimus can only hit and run and as soon as they get snared they die with their lower hp, or you can wait till age 4 for stealth when Aztec can have it on their coyotes in age 2, and stealth only works so well when your enemy can simply build an outpost or tc or explorer or literally any unit that discover stealth or spies in late game
Harakas: imperial hp of 240, whereas albus guns have 273 and more damage. You want to kill cannons with harakas well bloody good luck, because they get completely out ranged and because there still infantry they get countered by them so expect 2-3 to die per cannon shot. And did I mention their expensive for about the same cost as an abus you too can have less damage and hp what a deal…
Bollas: imperial hp of 280, Once upon a time this was the musk type unit (imp musk’s have more hp and damage) a good general use unit that what it lacked in damage and hp it made up for in splash damage, it was a unit you could actually use, until they nerfed it vs infantry and now even vs cav you might as well use plumed spears because they have res vs range not hand, if they wanted to balance this unit they could have just raised the cost of the bola to that of and eagle runner knight and left its stats vs infantry alone
Macemen: imperial hp of 640. Don’t even get me started on this unit, it is an absolute joke I’ve seen a French cuirassier take on two of these and not die, they are pop heavy, as expensive as a cuirassier, they have a slower hand attack then ANY other unit in the game and their multipliers are pathetic. You want to make an enemy laugh to death send in these units and watch them try to siege something because guess what they don’t have torches so they all have to line up and start hitting something which means that 60% of them bug out and stand around while the other 40% slowly proceed to hit the building or wall because they cant fit.
**** In summary you want to know why Inca hides behind their walls, their upgraded buildings, and garrisons inside of their forts. Its because we have NO OTHER OPTIONS . we cannot trade effectively with other civs so we have to rely completely on hit and runs. All of our (inca) units have less hp and less damage than similar units, what does Inca have? We have unit speed, walls and a fort to hide in, but as soon as those things get destroyed Inca gets bent over. So of course we are going to use a stronghold and Harakas we have nothing else to use. ****
What can we do late game, well if were lucky we can send endless amounts of trash units at you until you eventually give in due to all the raids. At the end of a late game if I haven’t lost 3-4 times more units then my opponent I must be playing Aztec or a civ with hp, I have yet to experience a balanced game where I didn’t lose over 1k units to my opponents 300.
Inca has been whittled away patch by patch if you take away our ability to garrison units then please take a look at all of our units and either make them dirt cheap so they will truly be the Russia civ of south America or please, please, please give them some better multipliers and hp because we can only hide in our stronghold for so long.
I apologies if this has become a bit of a rant, im just tired of hearing about how broken Inca is when in reality it is our only option to play competitively