The Viper just posted a compilation on Twitter about his ideas of balancing:
- Allow units to be spawned from any angle of the production building to remove advantage/disadvantage based on where you spawn on the map.
- Yam Network too effective. Even leaving aura you keep the bonus for a while, so: Lower the speed bonus and lower the time you keep the bonus outside of the aura.
- Mongols Double production too effective. Cost increased to 1,5 for 2 instead of 1 for 2.
- Make Mongols Dock cost more, I think 50 would be a good start. They save so much wood on no houses, double production and no need to make lumber camps early on. Combination leads to them completely dominating hybrid maps. Fishing Ship cost increase just pushes Mongols more.
- Mongols Steppe Redoubt gold dropped off give 25% extra instead of 50%.
- Mongols White Stupa Landmark produce 200 stone per minute instead of 240.
- Khan range lowered by 1 in Age 1 & 2.
- Abbasid Fresh Foodstuffs technology nerfed. Currently giving 50% discount on Villagers. A -15 food cost alone would still be an incredibly strong upgrade.
- Abbey of Kings (English Feudal Landmark) change. Not sure what, but currently never used.
- Chinese Imperial Official Supervision is too strong imo. Lower the speed boost by 50%.
- Chinese second dynasty building in the same age get a 50% discount.
- Make Textiles available in the Dark Age.
- Astronomical Clocktower give 20% HP extra instead of 50%.
- Chinese Pyrotechnics Tech gives gunpowder 10% extra range instead of 20%.
- French faster vill and scout production removed or just given to scouts.
- French Economic techs 20% cheaper instead of 30%.
- French Resource Drop-off buildings cost 35w instead of 25w.
- French Guild Hall receiving a cap on resource storage to make it a little skillful to utilize. Cap at 1000, instead of suddenly having 30k extra res at a random point in late game.
- French Chamber of Commerce trade return +20% res to markets/docks instead of +30%.
- HRE Regnitz Cathedral can hold 5 relics, but they give 100% extra gold instead of 200%.
- HRE Palace of Swabia Produce Villagers 50% cheaper but 75% faster, instead of 75% cheaper and faster.
- HRE Landsknecht buffed somehow. Probably give armor.
- HRE Barracks within influence work 20% faster.
- HRE Marching Drills cost from 100f 250g to 75f 150g.
- Rus Golden Gate favorable rate from 1,5x to 1,25x
- Rus High Armory reduce cost of siege engines nearby by 10% instead of 20%.
- Rus High Armory Banded Arms tech give springalds +1 range instead of +1,5. Open to changing it to a slight HP or Attack boost instead of range.
- Rus High Armory tech Fine Tuned Guns reduce reload of Bombards by 15% instead of 25%.
- Rus Mounted Precision give Horse Archers +1 Range instead of +2.
- Delhi Sanctity upgrade avaiable in Dark Age.(To research, but cannot take Sacred Sites until Feudal Age).
- Delhi Technology buildings (Blacksmith and University 33% cheaper. (Not sure)
- Delhi Tech upgrades 10x instead of 15x in Imperial. Maybe even lower.
- Delhi Tower of Victory Landmark give a permanent attack speed of +10% to melee and ranged infantry produced from a building within the Delhi influence.
- Delhi Palace of Sultan Landmark, allow player to choose between Tower Elephant or War Elephant.
- Delhi Lower the dmg a little from Fishing Ships equipped with Archers.
- Stone Walls less HP and take way longer to build. Palaside walls just take longer to build.
- Springald dmg changed to 20+60 instead of 60+20 (the + is bonus dmg vs Siege) - or 30+50.
- Siege weapons created in the field by infantry(except rams) take longer to build.
- Give horsemen back some HP.
- Professional Scouts allow scouts to pick up deer, but add a 2-3 second pick-up time, and a 20-30% speed reduction while carrying the deer to allow for counter-play.
- Speed reduction of 20-30% for monks carrying relics as well.
I feel like Siege is extremely dominant in the game from Castle Age and onwards, and walls are becoming increasingly popular and just contribute to the Siege meta. Let me know if there are any changes you disagree with or would add. Not excited to queue up right now…
- A lot of other things that can be improved, hotkeys, map generation, dock placement, walling placement, demolition ships range and the list goes on and on, but some of those wouldn’t change too much about how the game plays out. *
- I also didn’t talk much about Water balance as I have limited game time on water maps.*
I thought you guys might be interested in his ideas. I personally agree with a lot but I think there is even more. Especially some love for Elephants (especially after the spear and xbow-buffs) and Mangudais (too expensive, too low range to be viable especially if the nerfs above would be realised) is missing and some things more. But feel free to share what you think. Maybe posting this on the forums as well.
All credit to him. His twitter: https://twitter.com/TheViperAOE