They finally gave us more zoom options. Thank you Relic

I’ve been on these forums since the closed beta asking for more zoom options.
Finally with the PUP they have added a level that is in my opinion at least comfortable for me to play at and doesn’t immediately make me question why I’m not playing a claustrophobic game and go back to aoe2.

Just to remind everyone of how bad it was (since September 2021 as the date of this video)

Thank you for finally listening to the community on this and giving us this OPTION to play at a level we find more comfortable. I think there is still room for more zoom (of course either end of the spectrum should be extreme to accommodate for all preferences), but at least how it is now gives me my preferred zoom level.

Of course I am assuming these changes will be implemented in the official build of the game and usable in all games and scenarios (why wouldn’t they be, it’s completely optional)

Once again, thank you Relic.

5 Likes

By the way here is the new zoom level (max zoom out) if you haven’t played the PUP build

3 Likes

I don’t know how to tell you this Franknezu, but he was clearly being sarcastic… lol

1 Like

i though a sarcastic reponse could go well with that but as always the forums seems in eternal duality so just in case. hope it was just it as you said. in that case sorry. lol

1 Like

Wow they finally implemented the number one feedback element asked for in the beta 8 months ago, a month before release and then continuously complained about since. I’m not impressed. As far as most players are concerned, I believe they had their shot and they already blew it, sorry. I seriously wonder what was the point of the beta testing when they ignored the feedback? Now that I can actually view the screen, is there a way to test the game without losing $60? Maybe the ugly units are small enough at this zoom level that I won’t notice? I still don’t think I will want to play unless there are cool, civilization specific unique units, but maybe there are?

3 Likes

I mean I think a lot of us are thinking the same thing, but at least I want to encourage the devs where progress has indeed been made.

I’m definitely going to give the game another chance now, but certainly not expecting it to repalce AoE2 for me anytime soon as I expect there are a number of other problems I would like to see addressed that would keep me playing other games. (lack of content and modding tools for example)

But again, I appreciate that they did at least eventually implement our feedback, even if to many of us it feels much too late.

You’re going to drop $60 and hope that the rest of the game isn’t a disaster, just on the basis that you can see the screen now? I think they need a time limited version or something if they want to try to regain trust/players, I can easily afford $60 and have ridiculous amounts of time spent in other Age games, yet I still am hesitant to ‘reward’ them with it unless I can try the game first. I simply don’t trust them at all. I know that games are boring to watch and that most AOE streamers have switched back to the older AOEs so that they can get a higher viewer count. I don’t know what the game is like to play at ‘normal’ (i.e. max) zoom levels.

4 Likes

Colors, keys and more zoom are long overdue. Basic necessity, not a bonus. Let’s hope it’s not too late to regain a little trust. And that DLC doesn’t take long. AoE4 is on the cliff edge.

5 Likes

agreed. these things should have been in the game since day 1. but better late than never

1 Like

well the game is on xbox gamepass which you can get a trial of for literally $1/month so thats basically a trial.

I still haven’t bought the game. Don’t know if I will. Certainly not for sixty bucks.

its your lucky day mr Tsuda, I am here to inform you, you can infact zoom IN! all you have to do is scroll your mousewheel upwards to your desired zoom in level! No need to thank me.

2 Likes

Ants are preferable to the Disney characters that they look like up close. Welcome to “Age of Middle Finger Cash Grabs”. If they increase the zoom even more maybe we can just zoom out of the game entirely.

2 Likes

I mean I wouldnt complain about more zoom. I mean really supreme commander levels would be welcomed. More options = better

1 Like

Really? If a player is using max zoom and other player don’t use it, there is a clear advantage for one side… Yet I don’t care that much about zoom, if people want to play supreme commander good for them.

If the other player thought there was an advantage, then he would use it. If max zoom was an advantage, then why do all AOE 2 pros play at a non max zoom level? The Finish pros go as far as to turn everything into cubes, why don’t they use max zoom as well? I play AOE 2 DE and 3 De at max zoom but most people don’t. They would if there was an advantage, so clearly there isn’t.

2 Likes

this has been thoroughly debunked. In aoe2 most of the pros do not play at the max zoom out level. If it conferred any significant advantage they would all zoom out to the max. It’s simply a preference.

2 Likes

and just in case you don’t believe me for whatever reason here’s the viper explaining the settings he uses for aoe2

9:50, he says he keeps zoom at 59%.

2 Likes

Finally. Thank you. Slow as always but at least we get it.

Don’t get me wrong. I think the developers do a good job. But I think the management not let enough developers work at AOE 4 :frowning:

1 Like