This is what happens when you release a game missing features from previous titles

I left even before balance and stale gameplay became an issue

I simply stopped playing after the closed beta when the devs refused to give us readable zoom levels after the majority of the community asked for it

4 Likes

I may be unbiased towards old AoE games becoz I didnt play them. I dont know why I was not hooked by then. But I love RTSā€¦ I played a lot of StarCraft 2 and WarCraft 3 back then. And played WoW mostly afterwards.

I find AoE4 playable despite of some missing features. I will play any RTS as long as it is not StarCraft. I need some refreshing RTS game. And AoE4 is the one. Sorry I wont play old AoE becoz I am not fond of playing old-graphics game. AoE2 DE is like a game from 2008 pc hardware. Sorry I wont come back to it at year 2022. I dont feel playing old games with GEForce RTX cards. At least AoE4 looks visually nice.

I see some StarCraft2 pros playing AoE4 like Marinelord, DeMuslim, Leenock and Serral (who seem quit but I understand becoz he needs to practice for SC2 IEM Katowice becoz of $500,000 prize pool.). They have very fascinating AoE4 gameplays on their games and it looks fun. If they play it, I would play it too. So now, I am here. AoE4 controls and features are not as complete like StarCraft2 but it is playable. I had a blast completing all the Campaignsā€¦ English, French, Mongols and Rus. I play casually and I love playing 1v1 against Hardest AI without abusing the weakness of AI on rushes.

Modern players are hard to please these days. They want complete package games. And I dont think itā€™s easy to develop such complete games nowadays becoz these big corporations put strict deadlines. You would be disappointed if your expectations are so high. On me, as long as I am having fun, I would play it. The game is playable. This is not WarCraft Reforged that is totally unplayable. It has missing features but it is working/playable. I am having a blast even just against Hardest AI. Becoz I dont abuse its weakness. I just let the AI overwhelm me becoz their resource production are above average.

1 Like

You should also add ReShade into the mix, it can improve the details and add to your enjoyment, and perhaps allow you to take cool screenshots for friends, who knows.

It is true AoE4 has been lacking in meaningful features. Hotkey options are still a mess, no map editor means half of the potential playerbase isnā€™t interested, supremacy being pretty much only gamemode available. Teamgame maps are also little too large and it is impossible to hold 1v2 so random matchmaking isnā€™t great.

What devs donā€™t understand is that the newbies, f/e 12 year olds, wanna play mostly custom gamemodes, and not just tryhard. AoE2 has constant castle blood lobbies, multiply by that 10 different popular scenarios, and you get a significant boost to constant playerbase.