Towers and keeps not firing

I have this bug as well. It keeps me from wanting to play the game at this point. I have it playing against AI which is what I do most of the time. It is mostly my keeps not firing canons and emplacements. Does not matter what civ I choose. It happens every game I start.

Is this obvious bug still not fixed after more than 16 months? 

This one should be (mostly, hopefully) fixed with the latest update. If you see this again, please report all pertinent details in this thread. Thanks!

1 Like

It didn’t take me five minutes. Look at the two towers behind. They stop shooting until the end of the game:
https://imgur.com/a/fK57CAw

@NTL6062 do you still have access to that particular replay?

Is this video from the campaign? (Which I haven’t played). Otherwise you seem to be playing a mod because I don’t remember having ever seen a map like the one in your video.

On a side note I feel the cliff has something to do with it (the path of the projectile going through terrain)

Hi together,

of course, my video was made in my mod (Tower Defense).

Exactly all my friends stopped playing AoE 4 a long time ago. They were all disappointed because updates, new content and bug fixing took a disproportionately long time and the bug with the towers has been in the game since the beginning.

As long as the bug is not fixed, I am not willing to invest any more time. Programming tower defence took me months. I brought a lot of activity into the Discord server and also strongly supported other modders. But that was apparently not enough free support to take care of this one serious bug, although it is clear that no meaningful defence mods are possible with it.

Since I no longer have any friends willing to start AoE 4, someone else would have to take the time to reconstruct a game situation and provide the replay to @SavageEmpire566 .

This can be done easily. For example, use the map Confluence and one player builds a few towers with springalds and cannons at a ford. The other player lines up some springalds and sends them across the ford one after the other. I am very sure that it will not take more than two attempts before the first towers stop shooting forever. Sets the Imperial Age as a starting condition and high starting resources. This will save you a lot of time and you can reconstruct the desired/undesired scenario within a few minutes.

Regards
NTL

there’s at least a dozen examples already posted that clearly show this behaviour

Those are super old posts. I have never seen that bug happen in the past few months since I started playing the game neither in my games nor in other people’s games (including streamers). AFAIK mod specific bugs are the modder’s responsibility. It is not up to the developers to go debug everyone’s mods that would not make any sense unless the bug is a bug with the modding tools themselves (content editor) which is not the case here.

yes mod specific bugs are modder’s issue, however this isn’t mod related

1 Like

Maybe you just rarely have multiple defense buildings or don’t always count the number of arrows fired depending on the number of units in a building? Anyway, it’s not a modding problem and I’m not too stupid to fix problems I created myself.

1 Like

He wasn’t even supposed to be targetted while out of range. This is the same weird behavior of a TC shooting scouts super far beyond their range. The large circle is the Toll range not fire range.

This still happens.

It’s rare, more prevalent the longer the match goes (hence why some people never see it) and seems to have some relationship with repairing, retargeting or garrisoning the defensive structures or a combination of those things. As long as you leave the keeps alone, they usually don’t glitch out.

Get a keep or defensive landmark in a place where it has to fire a lot (say, near an enemy’s base or contested sacred site). Ideally, it should receive damage so you can repair it, you can also play with retargeting enemy units and garrisoning. In matches 40+ minutes, the defensive structure sort of “exhausts” it’s ammo and stops firing. Sometimes it’s the cannon emplacement that goes first, or the arrows or even the boiling oil. Sometimes all weapons fail and the structure becomes a sitting duck.

Indeed I have just tested vs AI and can confirm there is a bug ongoing but no idea what triggers it but could be as you mentioned some kind of ammo since the bug was triggered on the keep that attacked the most. Nevertheless I am curious to know if having the springald emplacement triggers or accelerates the bug, i.e would the bug still occur to the cannon attack if springald is not researched? I am saying this because I had deliberately kept one of the keeps in this game without springald and I felt it didn’t bug even though it did attack what I considered more than enough.

In any case I don’t think this bug occurs in realistic games. I tested in a normal game without any mod/tuning pack. Here are a couple of short videos.

The following video shows the last canon attack of the game from the keep. Notice that it is not just visual about the cannon smoke nor audio I did check the damage and aoe for the rest of the game, there were no more cannon attacks from this keep.

A bit later I felt like many (most?) garrisoned units stopped throwing arrows (see the video).

I didn’t manage to stay longer to see if the springald attack eventually stops working as the game crashed around the 44 minutes mark.

Notice that when cannons or whatever stops working they are still listed in the tooltip among the attacks of the keep.

Edit: I think even in the first video garrisons were already not attacking as intended.

1 Like

Nobody said you are stupid or whatever. I often see bugs happen in mods, that would never happen in unmodded games (e.g during a game using a mod and a tuning pack all of a sudden in the early game, as Abbasids, I stopped needing houses and my game became like that of Mongols, that same mod had its own bugs in replays as well). So you were right the bug is not mod-specific but there was a need for a confirmation/reproduction in the vanilla game, which is what I have just done by testing vs AI to be sure.

Update:

I retried against the AI and the following happened at some point (even relatively early, check game timer. Also the damaged barracks was the first barrack to be damage, so the keep had not attacked too much before then. Also notice that I had NOT done any repair by that point in this game): All of a sudden when some enemies come near the keep, either I right clicked them then the keep stopped attacking (except for 1 arrow) or it stopped attacking then I started right clicking (Sorry I am not confident in my memory right now since it was an unexpected event and I reacted unconsciously). Not only springald, cannon and garrison stopped attacking, but even the base bow attack which shoots super quickly was only 1 arrow (didn’t investigate its damage dealt and whether it is the keep attack or garrison attack but this could be easily checked in the replay).

A little later all attacks start working again as you can see in the video below.

@SavageEmpire566 This video was recorded during a skirmish game vs Hard AI on Dry Arabia on March 24 and the game ended roughly at 4:50 AM (Paris time). I ended the game in order to make the replay accessible, feel free to check it in my history (IGN in the video above)

@ProtossAMove Yes, you didn’t directly say it was my fault, but your post was so much salt in my open wound. Anyway, thanks for testing it and now you can see for yourself that there are obvious problems here, which has existed since the game was released.

I have experienced the error hundreds of times and I have never selected anything manually. Whether units are garrisoned or not is also not relevant. The error happens completely randomly, sometimes after 2-3 shots, sometimes after 20 shots.

I often have the feeling that an emplacement stops firing if the target is destroyed in the time between aiming and firing. I.e. the weapon has already selected a target, but can no longer find it and so gets stuck in an infinite loop. I can’t say for sure, but I have observed this very often, and that would also explain why it occurs especially often when several defense buildings are close to each other.

1 Like

Hey, all. We don’t expect you to go out of your way to investigate. It’s more of a “if you happen to have this” or “if you happen to see it when
” type thing just to help us do our jobs.

That said, we do have a lead on why this might still be going on. Working on it! We do appreciate all of the discussion and additional info!

AoE-4-1

I built the Berkshire Palace and within maybe 3 minutes it stopped working. It’s annoying that the devs make defenses more expensive with longer build times, yet they have to be constantly deleted and rebuilt because of this glitch. It actually seems more prevalent after this patch that supposedly fixed it.

Also this:

AoE-4-2

1 Like

OMG, the villager is panicking! Forgot to take his Xanax. Probably saying to his buddies, “they are coming to murder us! We are all going to die!” Or he is looking for his hammer. Or he is wondering where his sheep went. :thinking: