UI Modding Widgetui (Controlgroups+Playername)

Hi there,

i have some things i like to change with my current UI.
An “how to” guide regarding the “widgetui-files” would be nice. So i woul dknow how to adjust what in the future is there something like that?

I bascily have to things at the moment that I want to change but not sure what file/line to edit. Can someone help me?
Here is a picture of what i would like to change

1 Like

Did not find the user name, but using the images to reverse search the files, it could be in widgetui blankbottompanel.json and commandpanel.json, not sure if there is actually a documentation to help us find stuff on all this, but if there is i would be glad to know about it.

When you’re in commandpanel.json you can search for “group” and try to find the correct one to modify.
For the name display (that i think is totally not usefull since you already well know your name) I did not find it yet.

Good luck

Search for the widget with the name property as “ObjectOwnerNameCulture” in “commandpanel.json”. That is the one you need to manipulate to change the “playername(civ)” element and also there is “ObjectOwnerStance” which shows “Ally” or “Enemy” below it.

1 Like

Thank you for oyur input.
I found the elements, and changed the X and y origin of both. It changed nothing while i was ingame and it changed nothing after restarting the game.

Does it work on your end?

Does it work on your end?

Yes it works for me (e.g. in my Compact UI mod). Perhaps you have another mod enabled which also modifies commandpanel.json which has higher priority in your mod list, overwriting your changes?

I found the elements, and changed the X and y origin of both. It changed nothing while i was ingame and it changed nothing after restarting the game.

What I noticed in general is that changes to the widgetui files are applied in real-time(while game is running) only if modifying the game files itself (not the files in any mod folder) and also only if no mod is loaded which changes any of those files.

The changes made by any mod should be applied by exiting to desktop and restarting the game though.

Sometimes I need to copy a mod to the “local” mod folder to make it work.

In any case, make sure that no other mod is modifying commandpanel.json and/or that your mod has the highest priority.

okay, i guess it it than probabl the mod i am using " Improved Tech Tree UI Mod". So to get the UI as i want i would need to create a mod and give it a higher priority…

and here i thouht i just change a few numbers in the files…

If you still are wondering, you can copy the mod from your “subscribed” folder into your “local” folder and then modify the parameters that you want. I don’t think you can have two mods that makes different changes to the same file active at the same time.