UI vanishes when using mods for prolonged time period

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 43210
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:question: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). Limit to ONE issue per thread.

Here is the problem I’m experiencing…
When playing with non-data graphics replacement mods, UI disappears after a screen blackout after about 15 to 20 minutes in game.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:question: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST.

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)
  • 25% of the time / matches I play (SOMETIMES)
  • 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)
  • 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

75%
(occurred to me numerous times)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:question: List the DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Play with a mod that replaces some architecture set, unit graphics and UI elements (UHD and non-UHD)
  2. After about 20 minutes screen goes black for 10 seconds then comes back
  3. All of the changes that mod did to UI disappears (icons and menu)

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES

:question: Include a OneDrive or Google Drive link to a SAVE GAME or REPLAY FILE (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

:question: Attach a relevant PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif), VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube), DXDIAG FILE (.txt), or CRASH/GAME LOGS (.aoe2record, .txt) below.

after it gets bugged:

Please fix this serious issue :pleading_face:

1 Like

while using mods game occasionally gets stutters and i recorded that it tries to switch to integrated graphics card temporarily (for about 2 seconds) and then comes back to dedicated graphics card:

it occurs every 2 minutes or so until the screen goes black and finally all the UI and stuff gets bugged until game restart.

The point where it gets bugged:

Half of the UI vanishes:

I have already set the preferred GPU but it still switches inbetween integrated and dedicated.

whats your GPU? some guy also posted about this too but not mod related, just GPU switching back to iGP

1 Like

nvidia 940mx(dedicated) and intel hd 520(integrated)

1 Like

not sure if your laptop supports it, turn off optimus mode if its available in bios or nvidia tool and install GPU driver through inf file instead of having to install intel’s GPU driver and then nvidia’s driver.

though it seems to be an issue they need to address but we know how they are.

Thanks for the advice though I have already set the preferred/optimal GPU

It has no effect, the game still switches to integrated temporarily randomly and causes the stutters and eventually the major bug. It’s really unplayable in the current state.

1 Like

preferred GPU is suppose to work, but turning off optimus is something else entirely as it has something to do with power saving, not sure if its the culprit but always good to try.

the 2nd part was to remove iGPU driver entirely and skip iGPU by installing dGPU driver only through device manager if turning off optimus doesn’t work. these are all workarounds to see if it works.

1 Like

thnx i will check that settings too :slight_smile:

iGPU is directly a part of motherboard so it may not be removable. I can uninstall the driver from device driver though will i be able reinstall it back to original state? will i need to redownload the driver?

PS: nevermind, i just disabled it:

Thanks a lot @thieftdp8498 Disabling iGPU in device manager seems to have fixed the problem for me. :smiley:

I hope this bug will be patched in future updates.

1 Like

oh glad that worked. i thought u’d have to uninstall it but disabling works too. only problem is optimus doesn’t work if you want to use iGPU to save power, it’ll always use dGPU.

Looks like the bug still happens randomly even after disabling one of the GPUs

1 Like

maybe disabling it isn’t enough and still be used similar to that of preferred GPU. does the UI mod touch on any of the json file and only happens after computer goes blackscreen?

1 Like

Nope it doesn’t touch the json files, only edits the textures (PNG and DDS files)

yes it happens after the 2 second stutter which sometimes gives the black screen temporarily.

maybe its just me but these stutters and lags reduce when i disable all mods (including official mods)

honestly beats me, could be the settings in the game, or just game itself. I recentlly solved a scrolling stutter issue I had, turns out was an external recording software causing it, even when not recording it would give me problems.

im curious though you didnt have this problem before but now have them, maybe its the update doing to the game.

Still no fix, once the blackout occurs, literally all UI items vanish:

and the game doesn’t stutter anymore after that.

44834 Still not fixed @GMEvangelos

there is some memory leak with the UI…

always have to save game and restart to fix the stutters and disappeared interface items.

1 Like